Brake Cleaner

2510Paul

Which do restorers prefer, Chlorinated or non-Chlorinated Brake Cleaner? Which is more effective? What are the pros and cons? I assume non-Chlorinated in better for the environment. A local Auto Parts store has a two for one sale tomorrow; I plan to buy a couple cases.

Paul

Different brands are better than others. I usually use Farm and Fleet brand as it's cheaper than crc and works just as good. I will not buy Pyroil brand as it doesn't seem to mix with my parts washer solvent.

(quoted from post at 17:46:49 02/24/16) This is what dr sportster is talking about. Not good , myself I use carb cleaner for cleaning small stuff.. joe
read here
Also an issue with heating Freon based refrigerants, including small residual amounts.

Keep the chlorinated away from plastic, used some at the mine I worked at to clean my hard hat, split it in two in an instant!

Welding around the cleaner is only an issue if you using a gas shielded welder. It takes Argon to make the Phosgene gas.

The chemical in the brake cleaner is Tetrachloroethylene. When this chemical is exposed with excessive heat and argon (used in MIG and TIG welding) it produces phosgene gas.

Also you have to weld the items cleaned with the cleaner BEFORE it evaporates off. That would mean as quick as a minute or two. So if you clean some thing and come back in 5-10 minutes you going to be safe.

Also even light ventilation will prevent any issue too. The most common way guys get sick form it is cleaning aluminum right before they weld it. Aluminum has to be very clean to weld correctly. So guys use common old brake/parts cleaner right before they weld. Also most fellows welding mig/tig do not want much air flow right where their trying to weld as it makes keeping the shield gas around the weld harder. So you have the prime items for accidental exposer to the
Phosgene gas.

So guys it is more of a caution type of thing. It takes several conditions to make it be harmful. If you wash parts and come back in an hour your safe. If your welding with a stick welder your safe. If you preheat the metal before you weld it with a torch your safe.

So guys there are many things more dangerous in your shop than our can of brake clean.

PS for cleaning right before MIG/TIG welding use acetone. It cleans better and has not reactions with the shield gases.

Look at the ingredients. Some of the cheaper store brands are just acetone. Not a bad thing, so long as acetone is acceptable for your particular application. It does change the flammability.

This may be the most dangerous thing anyone has ever said on this board!!! The dangers of welding or even just heating near brake cleaner and carb cleaner are well documented. Some from the mixing of argon, some from heat, and some from the UV from the arc. NEVER NEVER NEVER use either brake cleaner or carb cleaner around welding.

http://www2.worksafebc.com/i/posters/2013/ws_13_09.html

Don't ever put yourself at risk by using brake or carb cleaner around welding.
Dangerous

I always make sure the can says "Extremely Flammable". Tried some that was non-flammable once and that stuff was worthless.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back