brakes on my "d"

Dr. CHIP

Got my "d" running good but now I cant get it stopped. I replaced the oil seals and installed new brake linings on both sides. I have zero brakes. I adjusted the brakes according to the manual but have no pedal to measure it by. When I went to hook the pedal up I had to bend it a little to get the pin through the clevis,but didnt think that would affect the brakes. I've screwed the adjusters from all the way in to all the way out and didnt affect anything. I played with the pedal adjustment and that didnt help. I think all the brake assembly could only go back together one way but I must of did something wrong. Any suggestions would be appreciated, Im stumped. Thankyou

These are ramp ball disc type brakes, right? Did you loosen up the steel balls? I think there are two sets of them in there. They have to be able to roll up out of their
pockets. They get rusted and stuck. I replaced mine with hardened stainless steel ones.

Thank you for the reply. I never heard of "ball ramp" brakes. I pulled them off again and saw what you were talking about. I didnt pull the springs off but I looked at the balls through the crack and they looked ok. I squirted some oil on them and worked the lever back and forth until it moved easily. When I reassembled the brake I rotated the inner part 1 bolt hole so that the lever would line up with the clevis without having to bend it. Im feeling optimistic and will try it tomorrow. Thank you for the advice!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back