Broken gear shift lever

I searched the forums but could not find any discussion of this problem. That surprises me, because the round nubbin on the bottom of the gear shift lever -- the part that actually shifts the rails -- seems vulnerable to eventual breakage after 60 or so years.
Anyway, mine broke after the brush hog hit a three-inch oak branch hidden in the brush and locked up, locking the transmission. It was quite a job getting the tractor moving again but -- get this -- the gear shift worked fine in getting me out of the jam, but then
simply broke after I had moved about 100 yards, even though I wasn't doing anything with it. So I pulled off the transmission top cover and cleaned it up. I had to build a wooden jig to hold everything firmly while I worked on removing the gear shift lever from the
transmission top cover. There's a small exploded diagram of the assembly here on yesterdaystractors.com; I have placed its link here.

My problem is that I cannot remove the gear shift lever from the transmission top cover. I was able, by dint of generous application of carefully selected swear words, to get the C-clip and spring free, but the gear shift lever is still retained by a ball joint, which in
turn is held in with a pin (#5 in the attached diagram) which appears to be unremovable.

Can anybody suggest how I might remove the gear shift lever so that I can replace it with a new one purchased here at yesterdaystractors.com?
wml_SPX_FERG_F5_3.png

Here are some photos of the gear shift lever assembly. They show just how old the assembly is; it looks like a previous owner failed to keep the joint greased, as the metal shows a lot of corrosion. I'm pretty sure that the socket holding the gear shift lever screws into the transmission top plate; I have marked what I believe to be the seam between them. However, I have so far been unable to loosen the socket; it's probably fused with the transmission plate. I've been drenching it in WD-40 and if I can't make progress, I'll pull out the torch to heat it up -- but that's always an iffy proposition. Again, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
GearShiftLever.jpg

Drenching it in Water Displacement formula 40.
You have that much water?
You might try acetone mixed 50/50 with ATF
Superzilla,
PB Blaster,
Seafoam Deep Creep,
Kroil,
Those come to mind easy enough.
Torch and a parafin candle to melt it's way into the seam might also work.
Grease in that joint just traps dirt and dust and accelerates wear.
I suspect that seam is a factory shut item and the pin might go all the way through.
Grind off one end and punch it through. Then you need a new pin to reinstall and peen the ends over once again.
YMMV.

Common fail point. 1- can you weld/ grind smooth it in place? I have seen used ones refaced with brass after 1 piece. 2- grind off head, heat and press, as recommended. 3- simple pin- drill out, replace and tack weld or pean. If you need help- do not discount bringing it to any private auto shop, or weld shop. I did not see these sold new. Funny story- , evil X wife was mowing with my to 20. Snapped shifter, running, in gear. Dove it to me, clutched to stop, held up shifter and proclaimed I Didn't Do It!! I figured that then I did it, so went back to working on my crawler. Had to be there, I guess.....

Thanks for all the good suggestions, guys. My wife solved the problem by finding a complete replacement assembly on eBay for just $71 (including shipping). I looked at all the photos carefully. It's from a 1952 Ferguson TO20, exactly the same as my tractor, so I'm pretty sure that this will fit mine perfectly. She ordered it and I should have it next week.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back