Bush Hog PTO Shaft

I broke the pto shaft for my Bush Hog several months ago and I'm having a heck of a time trying to replace it. I knew the shaft was short and it appears that there was only an inch or so of overlap at the time it broke. It's an old Bush Hog model 12 but it cuts great and I'd sure like to be able to fix it. The issue is that the input shaft for the gearbox is six splined and held in place with a 1/4" bolt. I've been to four stores and can't seem to find anything that will work. I bought one hoping I could remove the u-joint and put the old yoke on the new shaft. That wont work because the u-joints are different sizes. I called the nearest Bush Hog dealer and they were friendly but basically wished me the best of luck because that part has been discontinued for years. Any advice on where to turn? Thanks.

Just a thought, could you use a non splined over top the spline and increase the shear bolt size to 7/16. Mine is 1 3/8 diameter non splined shaft with a 7/16 shear bolt.

(quoted from post at 18:28:37 05/18/20) I broke the pto shaft for my Bush Hog several months ago and I'm having a heck of a time trying to replace it. I knew the shaft was short and it appears that there was only an inch or so of overlap at the time it broke. It's an old Bush Hog model 12 but it cuts great and I'd sure like to be able to fix it. The issue is that the input shaft for the gearbox is six splined and held in place with a 1/4" bolt. I've been to four stores and can't seem to find anything that will work. I bought one hoping I could remove the u-joint and put the old yoke on the new shaft. That wont work because the u-joints are different sizes. I called the nearest Bush Hog dealer and they were friendly but basically wished me the best of luck because that part has been discontinued for years. Any advice on where to turn? Thanks.
take a look see at rotarycuttersupply dot com I got a odd ball shaft from them a couple years ago

Has to be some one around that can make you a shaft. Nothing there but yokes, joints and tubing. Start at the gearbox and work toward the tractor. If you can post a picture or give me the dominions of that first piece I probably can find you a yoke to start form. Have many laying around.

where are you located, I just looked at two brush hogs that a customer of mine has with that style of 6 splined gear box that hes ready to sell . my email is open

I'm sure there is someone around that can help, the trouble is finding them. I live in the city and I could be wrong but I'd be a little surprised if many places around here mess with pto shafts. My property is about an hour away and I'd say my odds are better of finding somebody out that way. I just got off the phone with a good friend that is a mobile diesel mechanic and I think he might have steered me in the right direction. He's familiar with a mechanic/driveline repair shop that's fairly close to my property. I'll make some calls and find out tomorrow.

I have obtained yokes and shaft parts from Everythingattachments.com. I also have a Bush Hog (tm) mower. Mine is old, and I needed some gearbox parts. I contacted the Bush Hog dealer nearby and obtained the necessary parts. They had to do some digging to find an IPL of my unit, though. Took a couple of weeks. Generally, PTO shafts are not peculiar to any one piece of equipment, If you know the tractor output spline parameters, and implement spline parameters, and length, they might be able to supply you with either the assembly or the parts to build one. For my PTO shield, I went to Bare-Co. They were most helpful in getting a shield to fit my Bush Hog shaft yokes. Good luck with your search. zuhnc

(quoted from post at 15:28:37 05/18/20) I broke the pto shaft for my Bush Hog several months ago and I'm having a heck of a time trying to replace it. I knew the shaft was short and it appears that there was only an inch or so of overlap at the time it broke. It's an old Bush Hog model 12 but it cuts great and I'd sure like to be able to fix it. The issue is that the input shaft for the gearbox is six splined and held in place with a 1/4" bolt. I've been to four stores and can't seem to find anything that will work. I bought one hoping I could remove the u-joint and put the old yoke on the new shaft. That wont work because the u-joints are different sizes. I called the nearest Bush Hog dealer and they were friendly but basically wished me the best of luck because that part has been discontinued for years. Any advice on where to turn? Thanks.

You say the gearbox end is "six splined".

Is that a standard 1-2/8" six spline or some oddball?

If standard (like a 540 tractor PTO shaft) finding a replacement shaft should not be difficult.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Power-Transmission/PTO-Shafts-Jack-Shafts/PTO-Shafts/

knightstead
What type telescoping shafts does your BH cutter have? I'll guess square or more likely rectangular. I've repaired several of those type shafts utilizing the original yokes & replacing shafts & tubing. One just needs to phase(time) the u-joints on each end of telescoping shafts.

It as a standard 1 3/8 shaft, same as pto on tractor.
The issue I see is that the Bush Hog shaft doesn?t
have the groove cut all the way around for a collar
to lock on. Maybe I?m wrong but I don?t see what
would hold it in place. The original yoke is a 1/4 inch
pin hole style.

Have you considered Agri-Supply? This looks like what you want, if it's long enough, if it's too long you can cut it off, but not any more than necessary. Using a shaft with only an inch of overlap is very dangerous!

https://www.agrisupply.com/pto-shaft-series-6/p/102246/

Yes I?ve searched through agrisupply. I may be wrong but I?m not sure that the one in the link provided will work. The implement end needs to be splined and have a 1/4? pin hole. If there?s another way to hold it on I?m all ears. I?m a much better electrician than mechanic so this is certainly not my area of expertise.

(quoted from post at 10:42:26 05/19/20) Yes I?ve searched through agrisupply. I may be wrong but I?m not sure that the one in the link provided will work. The implement end needs to be splined and have a 1/4? pin hole. If there?s another way to hold it on I?m all ears. I?m a much better electrician than mechanic so this is certainly not my area of expertise.

Post some pictures of what you have. gear box shaft and the complete shaft

I think Tx Jim was referring to the actual telescoping shaft itself. There are different shapes. U joints can be matched up to fit yokes.

You have not mentioned a slip clutch. The Messick's link shows slip clutches for the gear box. You may be missing a slip clutch that should be on the gearbox. The missing slip clutch would have made up some shaft length, and provided some protection from breaking things.

(quoted from post at 04:54:09 05/19/20) It as a standard 1 3/8 shaft, same as pto on tractor.
The issue I see is that the Bush Hog shaft doesn?t
have the groove cut all the way around for a collar
to lock on. Maybe I?m wrong but I don?t see what
would hold it in place. The original yoke is a 1/4 inch
pin hole style.

With a little care the 1/4" hole for the pin in the new yoke can be drilled even with a little consumer-grade 1/4" drill, even if you don't have a lot of tools, it shouldn't be terribly tough steel to drill.

Spend some time measuring and eyeballing and marking to get the first hole you drill in the yoke to match the hole in the shaft, then let the bit enter the hole in the shaft and drill the opposite hole from the inside out.

You'll be "back in business" in nearly no time at all!

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether the shaft in the link below will work? I like the idea of having a slip clutch, although I've used the bush hog for almost 15 years with no problems so far it'd still be nice for peace of mind. Thanks again for all the input, I've got lots of options now.

https://www.amazon.com/50034235-Clutch-Driveline-Rotary-Cutter/dp/B07BBVVJLV

(quoted from post at 17:28:56 05/19/20) It is square, 1" by 1".

WHY DON'T YOU REPAIR YOUR OLD SHAFT?

Repairing a pto shaft doesn't require "rocket scientist knowledge". In the past I've repaired several of that style pto shafts. If shaft needs to be longer just get longer repair parts. Are your old yokes operable?

(quoted from post at 18:31:11 05/19/20) Does anyone have any thoughts on whether the shaft in the link below will work? I like the idea of having a slip clutch, although I've used the bush hog for almost 15 years with no problems so far it'd still be nice for peace of mind. Thanks again for all the input, I've got lots of options now.

https://www.amazon.com/50034235-Clutch-Driveline-Rotary-Cutter/dp/B07BBVVJLV

Looking at shaft in the Amazon link you posted, the slip clutch end has the same spring loaded lock pin as the tractor end. Does your Bush Hog gear box have the groove around the shaft for the spring loaded lock pin?

The Bush Hog parts break down shows a 5/16" bolt through the shaft, not 1/4". The two 5/8" bolts clamp it tight to the shaft. Here is a picture of the slip clutch and rectangular shaft on a 307 Bush Hog that is like the one the parts book shows for yours. The bolts through the shafts are all 5/16".

Repairing your shaft is a good option. If you want to add a slip clutch pricing a complete shaft with clutch should be done. The hole for the 5/16" bolt can be added with proper layout and care.

mvphoto55229.jpg

Yes, the yokes are fine. The broken part is the end
of the female part of the square shaft. I guess I
need to look at it closer and assess what can be
done.

No, there is not a groove on the shaft out of the
gearbox. I?m sure you are correct about the bolt
size. I took it out last deer season and was guessing
the size by memory since it?s a hour away.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back