Canada trip, what do we need?

Charles Jr and Charles 111 will head to Canada with the Gold Leaf D Next Wednesday, I got to old to quick and can*t go with them. They have their Passports ready, Is there any paper work that they need to get the tractor into Canada and return to the USA, The show that they are going to is 1n Milton Ontario, Also a side trip to the Niagra Falls. Thanks Charles Sr

With a clean show tractor your not going to have issues. Working equipment with any dirt causes trouble. Passports will make that end easy.

(quoted from post at 20:39:10 08/23/18) Charles Jr and Charles 111 will head to Canada with the Gold Leaf D Next Wednesday, I got to old to quick and can*t go with them. They have their Passports ready, Is there any paper work that they need to get the tractor into Canada and return to the USA, The show that they are going to is 1n Milton Ontario, Also a side trip to the Niagra Falls. Thanks Charles Sr

Don't forget to pack a burka for the wife and daughters.

I think you will be go to go. I would suggest you swap your green backs for Canuk bucks at your local bank before you come. We are heading to Iowa on Sunday, and exchanged some Canadian currency for America, and we can also use a Visa card. I don?t find the Visa card cost anymore to do the exchange than the banks charge to give you paper money. Trouble is , not everywhere is set up to take credit cards. Cost me $530.00 Canadian to get $400. America from the bank. Banks charge plenty to provide this service. Of coarse the exchange rate is in your favour.. Booking hotels on line and prepaying, can also get you better rates, and you don?t have to exchange fees.

Go on line and check the Canada Border Services for any info on ownership of the tractor/not for resale/and same thing coming back to the US proof that they owned it and haven't bought it in Canada.
If they have any paperwork from the show, ie: reserved show spot/entry fee its all proof of travelling purpose.
And since they are classed as being " tourist", they might be able to claim any sales tax back on items bought and carried across the border to the US, each province has a different ruling on the clause though.
Also if your using " marked fuel" in your farm/business machinery, do not have the same fuel in the show tractor tank,or towing truck, a no no here and one never knows who "pi..ed the border guy off just before you arrive?:):)
Otherwise enjoy the distilled products....

Years ago when we fetched a tractor near Churchbridge SAK I asked a friend who lives near the border in N.D. about exchanging currency and he suggested stopping at any large fuel stop near the border as they all run dual cash registers. Sure enough we stopped in Pembina ND to fuel and they were happy to exchange $500 US currency. On the way back same place exchanged it back, no charges or fees, just current exchange rates. If we hadn't spent a bit while in Canada we would have received the entire $500 back.

Been across a few times and the best advise I can give is have everything clean, dont act like your doing anything wrong and tell them the truth. Every now and then somebody gets the tear down deal that did nothing to cause it but that isn't the case most of the time. They will ask if the tractor belongs to you and why you are taking it to Canada, how long your going to be there and if you plan to take the tractor back home. Travel as light as you can, if the back of your truck and trailer is packed to the gills with stuff you are inviting a thorough inspection and it just takes that much longer for them to go through it and make a bigger mess doing so. We travel with very little, just clothes and a toolbox.

Stop at US customs before you cross out, and get a registration card for the tractor. It proves that you had the tractor in the US and are planning on returning with it. Canada will usually acknowledge the card as proof that you are not intending to leave the tractor in Canada.

Some customs officers prefer that you bring a sheet of paper with a picture of the tractor and serial number plate on it as id for the tractor.

Also, some of the larger ports, it is difficult to get to US customs from the outbound side, it may be wise to call ahead. And if they have dedicated truck lanes do not use them (
US or Canada customs). You want to go through with the cars.

(quoted from post at 08:20:50 08/24/18) Never experienced this so a question: What is the problem moving tractors across the borders, both ways?

Bio security
Soil
Bugs
Seeds
Manure
Plant material

Anything that could carry and introduce something foreign and or unwanted, keep the tractor clean and everybody is happy.

Well if you happen to head west on I-80 to the 29 mile marker (Minden exit) stop in I'll show you some CASE stuff I have setting around. Gerald

As noted below, good advice. Do not joke at all, there is no humor in their responsibilities. Have a consistent definition of your destination and where you will stay. Make sure all people in your party understand these things. Do not forget to remove the rifel from under the seat, and the pistol from the glove box. Guns are not funny at the boarder. Jim

(quoted from post at 10:09:02 08/24/18) Stop at US customs before you cross out, and get a registration card for the tractor. It proves that you had the tractor in the US and are planning on returning with it. Canada will usually acknowledge the card as proof that you are not intending to leave the tractor in Canada.

Some customs officers prefer that you bring a sheet of paper with a picture of the tractor and serial number plate on it as id for the tractor.

Also, some of the larger ports, it is difficult to get to US customs from the outbound side, it may be wise to call ahead. And if they have dedicated truck lanes do not use them (
US or Canada customs). You want to go through with the cars.

BINGO!
Also, an old picture of either boy with the tractor might be good.
As well as the suggestion to take an event flyer or show site reservation with them.
The above registration card will also be good for when coming back into the U.S.A. as well.
Especially if not re-entering where you left U.S.A.

Because of our mostly cordial relationship with Canada its easy to forget you aint in Kansas no more Dorthy, LOL. You are indeed a non-citizen wanting to enter a foreign country no different than any other country and they want to know what, why and for how long, what your bringing in and hauling out. Coming back same thing only duties (fancy word for taxes) are collected of all manner of commerce. Truthfully in the times we have been to Canada we have had lots more hassle coming back that we have had going out but realize we went up empty and came back hauling equipment we purchased up there. If a person takes the time to research what he is doing, and doesn't act like a smart a$$ with the agents it really isn't much of a hassle. But If a person does like those guys posted on the site last week and just shows up at the border like they are going into the next state they can expect hassled at the least and turned away at the most, like they were.

I wish you the best of luck ! I hear at times it can be a real hassel. With the price of gas and the risk on the roads I don't even take things to local shows anymore.

If either child is under 21, make sure you have a signed note from the mother to cross the border. as well as a birth certificate. Sometimes getting back is harder than going. Jim

And if anyone in your party has any arrest record, forget getting into Canada.

Birth certificate as ID. Got to be the WORST form of ID anyone ever thought of. Yet, it's required at many places. A piece of paper with names on it. Useless as a form of ID.

(quoted from post at 23:54:31 08/24/18) If either child is under 21, make sure you have a signed note from the mother to cross the border. as well as a birth certificate. Sometimes getting back is harder than going. Jim

I've used (needed) the note when crossing Southbound with my grandson. The customs agent suggested that a contact telephone number on the letter from the parent(s) approving the 'custody' of the kid was also a very good idea.

The steam engine on the Boone & Scenic Valley Railroad is down for inspection, but it is still a fun trip. https://bsvrr.com/wp/

The Living History Farms on the West side of Des Moines is worth a full day to see too. www.lhf.org

Have a great trip!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back