canola seeded yesterday.

rustred

it hardly pays to run a seed drill up and down the field, when a floater blows it on in less than an hr. harrowed the field after in that crazy wind and now getting rain,... perfect!

Attachments

• IMG_6041.JPG
    IMG_6041.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 91
the red machine is called a floater. guess due its big floatation tires. yes it can replace a seed drill in a pre-worked field. as the seed and fertilizer is all mixed together in its hopper. that is the tender truck hauling the product out for it then filling on location. i was concerned about the wind, but i went for a ride with the operator and the fertilizer and seed didnt seam to be affected. its all blown out through tubes in the booms with air and was falling right to the ground. the faster u travel the faster the seed is blown out. i would say he was going around 20 mph. plus its gps operated and it shows on a screen his passes . and shows the acres done. definitely fast way to seed. most around here use 0 till method and one pass over the last years stubble and your done. think this floater was around 80 ft per pass . and cost is 9.50 and acre to seed.

it hardly pays to run a seed drill up and down the field, when a floater blows it on in less than an hr. harrowed the field after in that crazy wind and now getting rain,... perfect!
They do a great job. Not a very common practice in my area because it’s usually to dry. We are all finished seeding here as of Tuesday and peas are almost ready to spray. Glad to hear you got finished.

I got to operate a yellow one for 4 years and repaired them before that for 10. They were called an airmax on the yellow side I’m not sure what the red version was named titan was red chassis name. That boom was “limited” to about 70 to 80 acres per hour. If everything was going perfect. The spinners could do over 100 but the wind was much more of a problem the air max because it’s dropping the seed or fertilizer only about a foot not trying to throw it 40 or even 90 feet in fertilizer. They were much more expensive to maintain than the spinners however and so a lot of fertilizer is put on with that method waiting for the wind to drop. There isn’t anything like flying across the field at 26 mph spreading it’s quite the rush running up and down the hills. It does wear on your body pretty fast though. My best day was almost 1300 acres there were people who got more than that but it is a whole different ball game

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back