Case 1030 Hydraulic Pump

DRussell

On my 1030 the hydraulic pump is starting to whine like it is low on fluid. It is not low on fluid, it's actually a bit overfull. I changed all the hydraulic fluid about a year ago and used Hytran in it.

Does the whine mean there is a screen on the pump pickup that is partially clogged? If yes, is there a way to get to this screen without pulling the pump assembly?

Or does the whine mean the pump is starting to go bad? I've not checked pressures, but the three point and remotes still work fine. At least they still do what I need done.

Is it whining all the time, or only under load? Assuming it is all the time could mean the screen is partially covered. A hyd. shop would hook up a Hydro-Sleuth, but you can quickly check flow yourself. Simply plug a hydraulic hose in 1 of the outlets and have a 5 gal. pail ready. Have someone work the controls and someone else watching the flow. At 1,000RPM it should fill the pail in less than 30 seconds. But watch the stream, it should be solid the whole time, with no air. Air could mean a plugged screen, or simply a leaking $8.00 A28264 Seal between the pump & intake port. Unfortunately, to get to the screen, the whole PTO housing must be removed.

It could also mean one of your hydraulic control linkages may not be allowing the hydraulic control to close fully. I would take a carful inspection of all hydraulic control linkages to be certain that nothing has gotten in there that could interfere with motion, or put a bend in a linkage.

Thanks Bruce, I'll check those again, but I've moved them both back and forth to make sure they are not activated previously with no difference in the whine.

These are just my thoughts........

Bruce from Can; maybe right. Please check the linkages and make sure there is not a problem.

If everything is ok; it could mean your pump is going bad.

Now; I recently had a stuck valve in the draft control spool that caused a whine.

Have you checked the pressure at your outlets?

No, have not checked pressure. Pressures when I use it seem fine, i.e., the cylinder lifts what I want to lift and seems to operate at normal speed.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back