Case 2090 - seems like the foot clutch is not completely

andy r

A few weeks ago I posted about my Case 2090 not being able to shift into or out of gear. It is like the clutch is not releasing entirely. Can't get it in gear as it grinds and can't pull it out of gear due to the gears having power on them. Service tech thought it was probably warped plates in the clutch pack.
Today I took it out for a drive. I can drive it by hitting the starter key and pulling it into gear at the same time without grinding. Powershift lever will shift up and down fine. I know you are suppose to use the lever to shift back to 1st before clutching but, the clutch will push the power shift lever back to 1st. What I noticed was if you pushed the clutch and assisted in pulling the power shift lever back with a little help that the foot clutch really didn't push it all the way back into 1st. It was somewhere between 2nd and 1st. Yes, you could pull it the rest of the way by hand into 1st. Then I believe with the tractor off you could pull it back into reverse, but then the power shift lever DID NOT want to push forward into powershift 1, 2, or 3. Now I am thinking that the problem is external to the powershift clutch packs. Like it is linkage or cables. Possibly you remember we did pull the power shift valve off the side to reinstall one of the fluid transfer tubes that had pushed out. The tractor did run OK after that for a couple days so probably not related. Seems like the clutch cable is intact. Maybe the clutch cable has let loose some. Tractor does not have the Case grunt when you push the clutch in. Maybe I need to look inside the console to the right of the seat???? Any ideas appreciated. Have had the tractor many years. Has 3000 hours.

On the clutch pedal there is a stop bolt that hits the firewall when the pedal is pushed down. Turn the bolt into the pedal a couple turns now push pedal down by hand till it stops . Turn the bolt till it hits the firewall let the pedal up turn the bolt another half turn out .Tighten the lock nut. now see if it works as it should. Let us know. Stan

Just had to change the clutch cable on one here. Was testing it and noticed the pedal wouldnt return all the way. Make sure its pulling the spool out 1 1/16. I use a black magic marker to make a mark on the spool and then check it with someone holding it down.

I will try that and report back. Do the cables go bad without breaking? Like the the strands of the cable un-twist and then the cable gets longer?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back