case 930 over fueling on one cylinder

mt matt

New User
i have a 930 comfort king with round fenders it seems to be over fueling on the #3 cylinder it puffs black smoke every time that cyl. fires freshly rebuilt injectors . if I crack that line it runs smooth but tighten up and sounds like a johny popper

Hello Matt, welcome to YT! We have a member that runs an injection pump repair business in Indiana, he post as Dieseltech. Maybe he will chime in tomorrow. Many on here ship pumps to him to be worked on. He does good work at a very reasonable price. If he doesn’t chime in you can contact him through a PM. To initiate that click the letter icon at the top and click Start Conversation. Place him as the recipient when you type in Diesel and add the “t” his name will pop up to select. I don’t know a lot about Bosch inlines, but essentially what I am saying is to be done right it needs gone through and set on a test stand.

i have a 930 comfort king with round fenders it seems to be over fueling on the #3 cylinder it puffs black smoke every time that cyl. fires freshly rebuilt injectors . if I crack that line it runs smooth but tighten up and sounds like a johny popper
Move the suspect #3 injector to another cylinder and see if the problem moves with the injector or stays in cylinder #3.

Those had a rack pump rather than the round pump like the Roosa Master and such. IF you had the pump gone through while doing the rebuild it is possible they set the plunger for that one cylinder wrong if the problem stays with the cylinder rather than move with the injector like ss55 mentioned. I would hazard a guess that is what they did.

Those had a rack pump rather than the round pump like the Roosa Master and such. IF you had the pump gone through while doing the rebuild it is possible they set the plunger for that one cylinder wrong if the problem stays with the cylinder rather than move with the injector like ss55 mentioned. I would hazard a guess that is what they did.
That wouldn’t show up on a test stand?

Move the suspect #3 injector to another cylinder and see if the problem moves with the injector or stays in cylinder #3.
I have done that it stays with #3 actualy this is why I sent the injetors in for rebuild but they were worn out any way maybe the pump needs gone through also

Check valve adjustment, if that is all good move the powercell to a different cylinder, I have seen them eaten up to the point they wont even run, they are basically an hour glass shape inside and the narrow point gets ate up! may have some laying around but that is first steps!

that is what I was wandering maybe it got set wrong the last time this was my fatherin laws tractor and my wife says that is how that tractor sounds is there a way to ajust fuel flow individualy?

you cannot adjust delivery without it being on a stand, at least not accurately, I would still check the valves, also make sure if it has the decompressors, not sure on an early 930, that they are adjusted properly, I would lean towards valves or the powercell, I just am not sure if those early 930's still had the decompressor setup or not, my 900 did but I don't know if they did away with it on the 930's.

valves are set I am working on getting the power cells loose. 1 and 2 came right out 3 is not wanting to come that head has been replaced when it was oveerhauled 30 years ago de compessors are working fine

valves are set I am working on getting the power cells loose. 1 and 2 came right out 3 is not wanting to come that head has been replaced when it was oveerhauled 30 years ago de compessors are working fine
With the injector removed, you can use a long wooden dowel inserted through the injector hole to hopefully tap the power cell loose.

@mt matt there is an adjustment for clearance on the decompressor to the valve, make certain that is right, it does not take much of an over tight adjustment on them to make that hole miss, I would find it hard to believe that someone at a pump shop got one pinion sleeve off on that plunger but it is possible! just double check stuff before you go to the trouble of pulling the pump!

With the injector removed, you can use a long wooden dowel inserted through the injector hole to hopefully tap the power cell loose.
what all is sopposed to come out on 1 and 2 I got the threaded plug out and the cup behind it is there more? the next hole looked like it was part of the head itself?

@mt matt there is an adjustment for clearance on the decompressor to the valve, make certain that is right, it does not take much of an over tight adjustment on them to make that hole miss, I would find it hard to believe that someone at a pump shop got one pinion sleeve off on that plunger but it is possible! just double check stuff before you go to the trouble of pulling the pump!
that seems to be right

so I got the energy cell cu out of # it is slightly pitted but swappiing it with#2 did not move the problem . I realy think the pump is sending twice as much fuel to #3 when I open the injector line there is a significant amount more fuel running down on the ground. Realy dumb question here is #1 by the fan or at the other end?

Last edited:
like I stated its not something you will be able to fix on the machine, it will have to go to a pump shop and be put on a test stand, and I don't think I would take it back to wherever it was before, that is pretty tough to let that slip by when calibrating a pump.

like I stated its not something you will be able to fix on the machine, it will have to go to a pump shop and be put on a test stand, and I don't think I would take it back to wherever it was before, that is pretty tough to let that slip by when calibrating a pump.
thanks I have no Idea where it got worked on before that would be 30 years ago !

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back