Case IH 895 Steering weak, doesn't work when still but works ok if moving....what's wrong?

Could be the priority flow divider valve in the MCV stuck in one position. This valve is supposed to split off 3 GPM from the flow of the hydraulic pump to supply the PS and oil cooler. If the 895 has rear remotes dead head a remote while turning the steering wheel, if it improves then it is usually the priority valve. If the 895 has a front end loader use the loader to lift the front wheels off the ground and turn the steering wheel max left and right to see if there are any binding spots. If it turns OK one direction but not the other then it could be the divider has moved inside the power steering cylinder. Usually the PS hand pump under the dash doesn't go bad they just leak and require rebuilding.

The cheapest place you can start is the steering cylinder. It’s down in the dirt and takes the most abuse. The rubbish you may find imbedded in the piston seal would indicate impending disaster elsewhere in the system. Or possibly just plain worn out seals. Or , depending on its construction, the piston could be loose allowing oil to bypass.

I have a 395 and it seems that the x95 series is upgraded from pevious editions. I realized that the 895 and my 395 share some design attributes....one being hydrostatic steering rather than power assisted steering like my Fords use, requiring a power steering pump which I couldn't find on the www......reason.....it doesn't use one.

Moving forward with my realization, I found that the 895 with its hydrostatic steering is just like my 395 and all the models between these ranges......great news. Went back to the parts sources and I can get seal kits for the cylinder for 50 bucks or if I want a whole new cylinder for all models between mine and the 895, using the same cylinder and can get it for $165. Things are looking up.

I haven't been with IH for decades and never was with Case. Last year I bought a 395 and was really impressed with the ruggedness of the brand. This has caused me to seriously consider checking out this 895. Thanks for your help.
Mark

Thanks for your replies. Since I have understood what I may be up against, thanks to you folks, it eases the pain of worrying about what kind of gotcha I may encounter.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back