CDL Headaches

L C Gray

New User
When will they ever get enough silly rules for CDL holders?

Sometime back I got a letter from the DPS regarding what I used or intended to use my CDL for. Since I'm between trucks and not driving for anyone else I didn't quite know how to answer it so it wound up buried on my desk without ever sending it back in. I had occasion to be in the drivers license office yesterday and overheard the DPS folks telling the guys in front of me that they were about to have their licenses downgraded to regular Class C Operator because they too had not yet responded to the same letter. The crux of the letter was about registering your medical card to continue to hold your CDL.

I haven't drove for hire or had a current medical card for years, but I'm not wanting to lose my CDL either. If drivers don't either register a current medical card or claim one or more of about 10 possible exemptions by January 30, 2014, they will automatically have their CDLs revoked and reissued as a regular driver's license.

I'm in Texas, but I'm assuming that it's nation wide since CDL rules are supposed to be consistent from state to state.

I'm just glad I got it brought to my attention 30 days beforehand so I can do something. I'll probably take two of the exemptions now to keep from having to possibly re-test and upgrade it with a medical card later should I need to.

For those haven't already complied you better get a move on. The system here is on a 70 day backlog to get it in the remaining 30 days. Also be very careful about giving too much information. Drivers are being disqualified based on BMIs, neck sizes, prescriptions and sleep apnea.

Yes, it's all over. We started getting the letters here in NY last summer. I had a little challenge because, I found out later, the local DMV office doesn't know what they're talking about, and gave me the wrong advice. But I went after it again this fall. Had to call Albany to get a straight answer, then go back to the local DMV, argue with them, and finally got what I wanted. Luckily for me I have an A3 med. cert. exempt on my license.

Same in South Dakota. My med. card expired 12/21 but got the physical yesterday and when I called them, said I would be good to go. You are right, if they don't have a copy of a current medical card, you get down graded.

Yep we got it too and don"t forget you have to keep your medical card current in the future no reminders its all up to YOU/US.

NOT IN PA.! There's a place where you can check mark. Then you are legal with a cdl without the Med card. believe it was in state only.

Federal law says you must have a currant medical card to have a CDL.(and registered with the state) The medical is good for two years unless the Doctor finds something to complain about, then it is yearly.
Make sure you know what you are telling the state, interstate means you can drive across state lines, intrastate means your CDL ends at the state line.

I have the new license, issued Nov. 6. I can drive my own straight, agr. licensed truck 150 miles from farm, ACROSS state lines. For me that is PA. There is no intrastate restriction on my license.

When I renewed my license I went through all of that. It all sounded confusing. I told the lady I didn't haul passengers anymore but thought I should keep it for the big trucks on the farm. I'm not sure what I picked but she said "you didn't see me do this" and filled it out for me. Kept the CDL with no hassle.

Living in a one horse town has its benefits.

What really amazes me is that this was announced over 2 years ago. There was a 2 year grace period. We still have guys acting all surprised about the "new" rules that are 2 plus years old!!!!

I bet this has been on this forum at least 5-6 times.

The real simple thing to do is to just get a PHYSICAL!!!! Cost me $50. Then send/fax a copy of this to the State DOT. Your DONE. You can drive anywhere. It is not Rocket science!!!!

I see all of you guys trying to claim this and that exception just to save maybe $20-30 a year. That is SILLY!!!!!

I wish they would just require EVERYONE to get a medical card. Then there would not be any confusion. If you are not in good enough health to get one I really do not want to met you on the road driving a rig weighting 80,000 pounds anyway.

I also disagree with the FARM exception. I see guys that can barely walk driving a loaded semi to town weighting 96,000 LBS here at harvest time. The guys that are too darn old to run a tractor or combine are hauling grain. Great!!! They really are safe!!!! Maybe after a few bad wrecks and few dead people they will straighten that out.

I have a couple of other certifications I have to keep up. I can tell you they cost a heck of a lot more than what a CDL does to keep in force.

Requiring everyone to have a physical certainly would simplify things. But then I'd like to see the idiots driving the four wheelers have to pass recurring driving tests.
As I understand it, the ag. exemption is only good for straight trucks. At least that's the case here.

I think the Ag exception is good for a full class A CDL here in Iowa. I see several guys

I personally know 3-4 OLD guys that claim to have them. I do mean OLD and they have a lot of health issues. They should not really even be driving a four wheel vehicle.

I agree with continuing skill test for ALL drivers, not just older ones. Maybe every five years for younger people and then every two once you get to a certain age.

Even before my Father's stroke he was not really safe to drive. He knew that too. He was pretty good about only driving to town here locally. If he had to go to Cedar Rapids or Dubuque he would have someone take him.

Having just gotten my medical card renewed yesterday for another two years I will say only this. The whole medical card deal is nothing but a bunch of BS that does nothing to
protect the public" as it's touted to do. I mean really in most states you can drive intrastate (ie within the state) without a medical card, but if you go interstate (into more than one state) you have to have one.

That said, what about those of us that live near the state line? A routine 40 mile drive for me can take me over the line, where someone driving the same distance from Greensboro stays within the state. So if I lived in Greensboro I wouldn't really need a card, but because I'm in Concord, I do.

Then there's the whole deal of the card is required even if you don't have a CDL. The Federal requirement is that if you drive a vehicle with over 10,001 GVW, in a commercial situation, and go interstate, then your required to have the card. So, what about the guys running a dually that had a 12,000 plus GVW and pulling a trailer with a skid steer on it. In state they need nothing, out of state they have to have a card. By the same token many of them don't even pull a trailer, or use the vehicle for anything but day to day driving, but by the letter of the law they have to have a card to drive over the state line regardless of wether they pull anything behind it or not. Heck customer had an audit done a few years back and the auditor hit him up because his wife had no card and she often drove his Surburban. Thing is it was tagged commercial because he often used it to pulled a trailer filled with explosives with it (he's a blaster by trade).

Now what I was just saying seems to only cover commercial drivers, as that's what the DMV say they have to do to 'keep the public safe'. Thing is what about the other guy that simply owns a dually, a skid steer, and a trailer. Even though he's not engaged in an actual commercial enterprise, by the letter of Federal law he also has to have a medical card to drive his rig around...but only if he crosses state lines.

Lastly, it seems that DMV completely forgets about the fact that an RV can easily match the size and weight of many commercial vehicles. Thing is the owner of said RV can be 91 years old, legally blind, have high blood pressure, and sleep apnea, and not have to have any kind of medical certification. Even worse he is also not restricted by any hours of service regs, or much of anything else for that matter. Heck, he can take the RV, put a dually that probably weights 10,000 plus lbs, in tow behind it, and still be legal......BUT, if a 'commercial' driver tows even an empty trailer that has a GVW of 10,001 lbs or more then, by law, he has to have a class A CDL to do so.

To top it off, how does having a hernia effect anyones ability to drive? Like I told the doc yesterday when he told me to "drop 'em", you'd think that they'd be more worried about a drive having hemorrhoids than a hernia. I mean seriously, who ever got a hernia from driving?

Ultimately all getting a medical card does is give some politician, who is so far removed from what the average working man already has to deal with that he might as well be sitting in a dark room all alone, feel good.......While the guys his 'feel good' regs effect are having to pay for needless medical exams, keep worthless log books, etc, etc, etc...........again, all so he can feel good and tell the rest of the public, who are in a room nearly as dark as his, what he is doing to 'keep them safe'.........

But that's just my .02

I'm only going to claim exemption to just keep my license up while I'm not doing any commercial driving. There's no sense in requiring a medical card on someone who's not driving commercially.

Just be clad you are not in Wa state we are required to have a FEDERAL DOT NUMBER if you are towing a trailer and it might weigh over 16,000 lbs If you have a 3/4 ton pickup and a TWO avle trailer better get a fed DOT number. Even if you are hauling your own hay they dont care Where is the to serve and protect. JUST money generators know Just my ranting Dale

I just got my renewal for April 2014 haven't seen or heard of this before I have class A no endorsements haven't drove in a couple years but don't want to lose out, never know when I might need too

I took my physical in mid November. There is a question on the form asking if you are driving interstate or intrastate and if you say your driving intrastate you are only good with in state (this Federal law). I was also told by the medical group that I go to that the Feds are taking about having designated places that you will have to go to for your physical.

What gets me is I can not figure out what all the hoopla is about.

If you are a farmer you do not need a CDL so none of this means anything to you. Even if you drive your neighbors truck to help him out you are still covered under his farmer exemption and do not need a CDL.

If you have a job that requires you to have a CDL then you are not exempt from medical cards so filing exempt is out of the question.

I agree with you 100% JD. I will be going in on Jan. 9th to renew my driver lisc and will NOT be renewing my CDL which I have had since 1991. I could probably get any Dr. to pass me too. Last year I had a three hr op. to repair a pinched spinal cord and put in titanium plate and spacers (fuses) to hold vert. apart and ground off bone spurs protruding into spinal cord. Called cervicle spinal stenosis. Was going numb everywhere and about to lose continence. While the surgery was a success the nerves were pinched for so long that it has taken forever to get functions back and some will never come back. Had to re-learn how to walk,tie shoes etc and left arm is still partially numb and walk a little funny. Bottom line is that I wouldn't feel safe with myself driving a truck even if I did pass physical. I'm retired and I plain just don't need it . I know what you mean about the elderly fellers out there driving a semi full of corn or beets when they probably should just stick to their car or pick-up and be happy.We all have to grow old but some just aren't too good at it.

Starting in 2014, not sure of exact date, you can no longer go to your family doctor for a CDL physical. They must be certified by the FMCSA in order to do the physicals and most family doctors will not go to the hassle or the expense in order to become certified. One other word of caution, when you register your physical with your state in order to attach it to your CDL, DO NOT FAX, EMAIL, USPS, the physical!! Physically take it to your local Licensing Bureau and stand there while they record it and give you a receipt. There are many horror stories all over the nation of drivers being stopped in another state and being informed that their CDL is not valid because of the physical requirement. In extreme cases, these drivers have had their loaded trucks impounded, and have been forced to fly home, register their physicals, and then fly back to resume their route. By law, you have 15 days from the expiration of your physical to get the new physical and get it registered with the state. I have been in the trucking business over 45 years and own my own business with my own operating authority. All the increased regulation makes retirement look better all the time. When they make electronic logs mandatory, I have a Peterbilt and Reefer that will be for sale.

L C just go to your Dr. and get your checkup and then send the information to your DMV. The law says you need to carry a health certificate [a little card] with you when driving commercial
vehicles.
If your DR. says you are not healthy enough to drive a truck then you should not.
I do think you are right to want to keep your CDL. One never knows when they may want to drive for pay or drive your own truck. I keep mine because I haul my equipment with a heavy pickup and a 12 ton trailer. Here in the northeast state lines are very close and interstate driving is likely to happen often.

(quoted from post at 20:45:54 12/31/13) Having just gotten my medical card renewed yesterday for another two years I will say only this. The whole medical card deal is nothing but a bunch of BS that does nothing to
protect the public" as it's touted to do. I mean really in most states you can drive intrastate (ie within the state) without a medical card, but if you go interstate (into more than one state) you have to have one. [b:dbe1f268ab]Depends entirely on the state
[/b:dbe1f268ab]
That said, what about those of us that live near the state line? A routine 40 mile drive for me can take me over the line, where someone driving the same distance from Greensboro stays within the state. So if I lived in Greensboro I wouldn't really need a card, but because I'm in Concord, I do.

Then there's the whole deal of the card is required even if you don't have a CDL. The Federal requirement is that if you drive a vehicle with over 10,001 GVW, in a commercial situation, and go interstate, then your required to have the card. So, what about the guys running a dually that had a 12,000 plus GVW and pulling a trailer with a skid steer on it. In state they need nothing, out of state they have to have a card. By the same token many of them don't even pull a trailer, or use the vehicle for anything but day to day driving, but by the letter of the law they have to have a card to drive over the state line regardless of wether they pull anything behind it or not. Heck customer had an audit done a few years back and the auditor hit him up because his wife had no card and she often drove his Surburban. Thing is it was tagged commercial because he often used it to pulled a trailer filled with explosives with it (he's a blaster by trade). [b:dbe1f268ab]That sounds strange. A CMV only falls under the FMCSR when it's being used as a CMV, not as a personal conveyance, there is specific language in the law about that. Could be a state law maybe?[/b:dbe1f268ab]

Now what I was just saying seems to only cover commercial drivers, as that's what the DMV say they have to do to 'keep the public safe'. Thing is what about the other guy that simply owns a dually, a skid steer, and a trailer. Even though he's not engaged in an actual commercial enterprise, by the letter of Federal law he also has to have a medical card to drive his rig around...but only if he crosses state lines.[b:dbe1f268ab] Again, depends on the state. And he has to be engaged ina commercial enterprise. There is no way a guy with a dually PU with a 12K GVWR falls under the FMCSR unless he's commercial.
Lastly, it seems that DMV completely forgets about the fact that an RV can easily match the size and weight of many commercial vehicles. Thing is the owner of said RV can be 91 years old, legally blind, have high blood pressure, and sleep apnea, and not have to have any kind of medical certification. Even worse he is also not restricted by any hours of service regs, or much of anything else for that matter. Heck, he can take the RV, put a dually that probably weights 10,000 plus lbs, in tow behind it, and still be legal......BUT, if a 'commercial' driver tows even an empty trailer that has a GVW of 10,001 lbs or more then, by law, he has to have a class A CDL to do so.

[b:dbe1f268ab]One of things you have to remember is that the AARP is the nations largest lobbying organization. And they VOTE. That's why Grandpa Greyhair can drive a 40K rig down the road, towing the Caddy, on his regualr D license.
To top it off, how does having a hernia effect anyones ability to drive? Like I told the doc yesterday when he told me to "drop 'em", you'd think that they'd be more worried about a drive having hemorrhoids than a hernia. I mean seriously, who ever got a hernia from driving?

Ultimately all getting a medical card does is give some politician, who is so far removed from what the average working man already has to deal with that he might as well be sitting in a dark room all alone, feel good.......While the guys his 'feel good' regs effect are having to pay for needless medical exams, keep worthless log books, etc, etc, etc...........again, all so he can feel good and tell the rest of the public, who are in a room nearly as dark as his, what he is doing to 'keep them safe'.........

But that's just my .02
b:dbe1f268ab][/b:dbe1f268ab][b:dbe1f268ab][/b:dbe1f268ab]

Something you guys all have to realize is that anything new in the FMCSR comes form industry, not gov't. We've seen it time and again and I've talked with the guys on the FMCSA advisroy board- industry has the end control on what becomes law. They own the pols that make the laws. It's not gov't per se doing this, it's industry/gov't doing this. Why they do it, I don't know. But having worked in this field from the LE end, I can assure you that what we ask for we don't get, what industry asks for becomes law.

Terry to my knowledge and I have asked, Tenn has NOT done anything about this federal requirement. I tried to file and no one knew what I was asking about. I know the new law says you maintain the full copy NOT the little card in the vehicle at all times. Guess we will just see what happens.

Quote from NC Wayne:
"Then there's the whole deal of the card is required even if you don't have a CDL. The Federal requirement is that if you drive a vehicle with over 10,001 GVW, in a commercial situation, and go interstate, then your required to have the card. So, what about the guys running a dually that had a 12,000 plus GVW and pulling a trailer with a skid steer on it. In state they need nothing, out of state they have to have a card."

But your key words are "in a commercial situation". If it's your truck, trailer and machine and you are transporting it as your personal property not using it in business then you are not commercial. All you have to have is the proper class license for the weights dictated by your vehicle.

People seem to miss the concept that an A doesn't have to be a CDL. There are Class A,B & C CDLs, just as there are Class A,B &C Non CDLs. Someone driving a large motorhome pulling a trailer in excess of 10k would need to have an A, but they're not operating commercially, therefore they do not need a CDL and none of the commercial rules apply to them.

Why I am most wanting to retain mine is to use a larger truck to haul my tractors and to also use it to pull my travel trailer. Two of the ten or so exemptions are Farm, transporting tractors, equipment and crops, and Occasional use to transport personal property. The Occasional would cover both ends really but since you can claim multiple exemptions and tractors is specifically called out it will lessen chances of a roadside argument. The average DOT guy won't bother anything that looks like an RV, so I'm not really worried about the Occasional Use argument. I also just want to keep my license in case I ever need it again without having to start from scratch and re-test.

Quote from 2BadlyBent:

"L C just go to your Dr. and get your checkup and then send the information to your DMV. The law says you need to carry a health certificate [a little card] with you when driving commercial vehicles. "

That's my point.... If I'm not driving a commercial vehicle then there's no need to maintain a medical card. It's rediculous to require everyone to have a card other than in the cab.

I added tanker to my class A last spring and had to show my medical card. They copied it and said my license would have been down graded with out it. Problem is I can renew my license for five years but medical certificate is only good for two years. Hassel taking certificate to DMV every two years. I only drive for hire occasionally, But have pickup and gooseneck, how long before they want us to have CDL to operate this combination. So I guess I will put up with the hassle, do not want to be in another state and need it.

I just went online and registered as "intrastate" and it said I didn't have to show a medical card. Just said I had to have it with me when I drive. I'm not driving commercially right now,but I didn't want to loose my CDL and have to start over as if I never had one if I wanted it back. If I do drive again,I'll have to get a physical and a new card,but registering the way I did,I can keep my CDL without getting a card right now.

I have a CDL with insulin exemption that I have to maintain BG between 100 and 300 to drive. Plus I have to see diabetes dr 4 times a year and eye dr once and send paper work to DC every 3 months. I live in IL and do not have DOT # but might have to get one for my GN if I go out of state. I didn't renew my hazmat last time because of the $45 for security check and finger print. I just haul my own stuff and farm with my neighbor.

I got my physical in November and called Indiana State Police (DOT) to see that they got the paper work. They told me that if you drive commercial you need to carry card and can be asked to produce the paper work that goes with card. I carry paper work with me commercial or private.

Don't know what state you are in but all 3 states I have been licensed in there's the class C, then CDL A and B.
My boss and co-worker certified intrastate exempt and had a new license printed for $10. Said they do not need a med card. I certified full interstate, so have no territory restrictions and didn't need a new license printed.

In NC there's 3 classes

Class C- any single vehicle with a GVW less than 26,001 lb, or in combination , ie. towing a trailer with a GVW of less than 10,001 lbs,

Class B- any single vehicle with a GVW of over 26,001 lbs or said vehicle in combination towing a trailer with a GVW of less than 10,001 lbs)

Class A- Any single vehicle with a GVW over 26,001 lbs in combination with a trailer with a GVW of over 10,001 lbs ----OR-----any single vehicle (regardless of the GVW) towing a trailer with a GVW of 10,001 lbs or more.

Now within those classes there are various endorsements or restrictions. For instance I have a corrective lens restriction on my class C. For someone driving a pickup and a 14,000 gooseneck, they would have a class A, but would have a 'Class 8 restriction (ie no semi trucks), and for those driving a semi they have air brake endorsements, hazmat endorsements, etc, etc. On the air brake deal, many think that you have to have it for any vehicle with air brakes, but that's not so. I've had my share of weight and inspection stops in the 14 years with my truck and I've got a standard class C with no air brake endorsement, but my truck as air brakes. Basically, by the book, it's only required for those with a class B or class A license.

That said, my point is this. I currently drive my Freightliner, that has a 26,000 lb GVW sticker, and don't have to have a CDL to do so. I can also two my trailer (with a 10,000 GVW), fully loaded without a CDL. In other words I can head down the road legally with a combined weight of 36,000 lbs with nothing but a regular class C license, but still require a medical card simply because my truck is over 10,001 lbs. On the other hand someone with a truck with nothing but a 26,001 plus GVW has to have a different license, regardless of wether he tows a trailer or not, even though his total weight is less than mine. Further a man with a dually and a 14,000 GVW trailer has to have a class A even though he will never have a combined weight as high as mine.

Ultimately none of these guys has to have a medical card of he stays within his own state (at least here in NC), but the minute he crosses a state line the card is required. Basically the requirements are all based on weight, and operating area, which, as I have just shown is all a bunch of BS as neither really matter.

Now as far as the commercial -vs- personal deal goes. I own my truck, I am the only driver, and for all intents and purposes it is my personal truck. In this instance, yes, I use it for my business purposes. So, exactly how does me using it for my personal use -vs- using it to work on others equipment make any difference in whether I am healthy enough to drive it? Once again it doesn't because the regs are all about the weight, nothing else. In my case even my pickup is, in reality, a commercial vehicle since in NC any tag issued for a weigh over 4,000 lbs is a commercial plate. The fact that may folks get my with their 6000 lb SUV registered as a station wagon, and issued a 4000 plate is just another indication that in the end it's all about the weight, and ultimately all about the money.........the whole PUBLIC SAFETY aspect of it means absolutely nothing........as it's all a money game......

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back