Changing wheel sizes

Just finished up today getting the last of the rear tires on the necessary tractors changed over. I had been running the 20.8-38 size that came on them new but last year I changed all the corn and soybeans to 30 inch rows. That didn't work well at all with too big of a tire on a bedded row. Finally was able to locate enough stuff to change to 14.9-46. Planter tractor sure works better like this. You just don't realize how much of a difference in room there is till one side of tractor is completed and other side isn't. Glad to be done with this task. Thanks to all who provided leads earlier in the year while looking for parts. Getting this 7120 ready to coulter in nitrogen on the corn.
cvphoto87801.jpg

I talked to different folks about what size to change over to before starting this endeavor. 14.9s is seeming to be a good compromise for row crop work and tillage work. Sure wouldn't want anything any wider tho than this for 30 inch rows.

That's what I did on my 1066. I really like the 14.9x46. duals. I think they have just as much traction or more and fit the row. I just have band duals but they work.

You spoke of a bedded row, not sure where you are at to use that method of planting. Through out the cornbelt in Iowa and Illinois, tractors have had and lots still do, run 18.4's on 30 inch rows, planting, spraying and even when everyone cultivated their crops. Different stroke for different folks I guess.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back