Mark Poss

Check rowed a couple acres of corn yesterday with the 290
cvphoto87694.jpg

Looks great. Post some pics of the field while it is growing. I always thought the old pics of check row corn were neat to see. A few years ago there was a 494A set up for check row planting sold at a local auction. I wish I would have bought it but not sure I would be smart enough to use it.LOL Tom

great picture. Remember planting that way. Dad was fussy about straight rows. He used to go for Sunday drives and check out the neighbors for straight rows.Cultivating across the field with a H John Deere was interesting of the rows were not straight

Check wire usually came in 80-rod (or quarter-mile) lengths, because that was the common length of a typical 40-acre field in the corn belt. Buttons were spaced along the wire at varying distances depending on the desired row spacing.
2 row check row planter

Had 160 rod rolls of check wire here, E SD. Use to watch Dad move the stake and hook the wire back up on the planter after each round. Cultivate length ways first time and cross the rows the second time.

I can't see any wire ether. When I was a kid Dad bought a IHC planter with check row, had a big spool of wire and a bunch of stacks with it, but we never used it. He said it would take too long to fool with it.

Check rows had to be a challenge on steep hills. Dad said check rows when out the window when they switched to contoured fields and later contoured terraces. All curved rows after that, but less erosion too.

I remember helping (more like being there) Grandpa move the stakes while Dad or Uncle drove the tractor. Probably the late 50s or early 60s. That is the only time I remember checked v]corn on our farm. However there was a farmer who checked corn to near 1970. It was neat to see to say the least.

Dad was a farm boy, became a preacher, so I never farmed. The church when I was a lad was a rural church at Marion South Dakota. There was one field on our way to church that was still check planted ('70 to '78 era). I knew the theory, saw the result, but never quite knew how that was done. 9 years ago we were at a tractor show where they set the stake and check planted! Very interesting. Nice set up you have there!

I think the wire is there. It just blends in with the dirt. Look near the bottom of the tractor wheel. I think you can see it across there.

My dad check corn 60 years ago.
I posted about cultivators so people could see how it was gone 60 years ago.

I can recall my dad using an identical planter pulled by a farm all super A to plant 50to 70 acres every year in the 1950s. Jump off at each end and move the stake. Be sure to keep the wire tight or else the cross direction rows would be curved. Thankfully, 2,4-D and atrazine arrived long before I was doing any planting! That wire was useful for many things after old planter was retired... Strong but soft enough to easily work.

Neat picture...I used a magnifying glass and I can see the wire about 2-3 inches above the tractor tire..Check rowing went out in the early 1950's around here..

My uncle tried to explain that process to me That's how they did that in North Dakota back in the 30's. I knew why it was done, but couldn't figure the planting process in my head. Stan

The wire has a knot in it every time the goes buy the planter drops a hill Of seed . That way you cultivate the crop two ways

My dad check row planted with horses until 52 and then tractor. I cultivated a lot of corn with the two row cultivator on Farmall H. When we got two H's we really went to town.

When brother took over farm while I was in Army he went to hill drop, four row planter.

If dad didn't have anything to do he would just go out and cultivate again. Some would get five times. Once you went past three times you went to five or it would be pretty rough ride picking corn .

When I started working for IH dealer in 58 I had to set up planters and go out on some but I think we sold just one with check row heads on it. I think he had bad buttons on the wire as he kept his old wire and it would miss once in a while . Of course not while I was around it and it was always in the same area but hard to convince him it could be the wire. Never was sure though and I think he went to hill drop shortly anyway.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back