Chicago Electric Generator Model / Item Number 98838

Hi everyone and Happy New Year ,

I just acquired a Chicago Electric generator , item number 98838, app. a 2010 or there abouts model . Don't know if it works yet or not as I drug it in right before dark and it's cold here too. I don't plan on working on it until it warms up to the 50's or better some weekend ! Engine ( 13 hp / 6500 peak gen ) is free , has compression with rope . Right now it's main problem is that someone spilled fertilizer supposedly on it . What kind , how much etc . I don't know , but whatever it is it's eating it up somewhat and causing it to rust . Kind like an acid . Is there anything that I can put on it to neutrilize the affects ? I was thinking maybe something like Mean Green / Purple Power / Awesome that our local Dollar Store , Lowes , Walmart sells . Can't pressure wash it as it's cold here and don't need water where it shouldn't be in cold weather and plus I'd have to haul it about 20 miles round trip and pay at least $5.00 to get it washed plus unless i put a chemical on it to neutralize the affects it probably won't do any good . But still something is better than nothing I probably won't get any money back out of it as my small engine friend was gonna junk it and sell parts off of it until I said that I wanted to take it and try working on it as I want to learn more about generators as I have a book on them as I want to learn more about them meaning the genset part . I already from my small engine skills know how to fix the engine . I just need more training on the generator part . If I can fix it then I can get some money . But , don't want to put any real money into it other than maybe a can of carb cleaner and a little oil maybe and time until I see if it's reasonably fixable ! Thanks for all and any help !

Thanks ,
Whizkidkyus

Last edited:

I just acquired a Chicago Electric generator , item number 98838, app. a 2010 or there abouts model . Don't know if it works yet or not as I drug it in right before dark and it's cold here too. I don't plan on working on it until it warms up to the 50's or better some weekend ! Engine ( 13 hp / 6500 peak gen ) is free , has compression with rope . Right now it's main problem is that someone spilled fertilizer supposedly on it . What kind , how much etc . I don't know , but whatever it is it's eating it up somewhat and causing it to rust . Kind like an acid . Is there anything that I can put on it to neutrilize the affects ? I was thinking maybe something like Mean Green / Purple Power / Awesome that our local Dollar Store , Lowes , Walmart sells . Can't pressure wash it as it's cold here and don't need water where it shouldn't be in cold weather and plus I'd have to haul it about 20 miles round trip and pay at least $5.00 to get it washed plus unless i put a chemical on it to neutralize the affects it probably won't do any good . But still something is better than nothing I probably won't get any money back out of it as my small engine friend was gonna junk it and sell parts off of it until I said that I wanted to take it and try working on it as I want to learn more about generators as I have a book on them as I want to learn more about them meaning the genset part . I already from my small engine skills know how to fix the engine . I just need more training on the generator part . If I can fix it then I can get some money . But , don't want to put any real money into it other than maybe a can of carb cleaner and a little oil maybe and time until I see if it's reasonably fixable ! Thanks for all and any help !

Thanks ,
Whizkidkyus
Look at some James Condon vids on youtube for generator repair info. As for the fertilizer problem, I'd think most fertilizer is alkaline / high ph so a wipe down with vinegar should neutralize and then wipe with plain wet cloth, dry and go over with WD40 as Mr. Condon does. The WD40 should provide some amount of corrosion protection until things warm and you can reprime/paint.

It was probably liquid fewrtilizer spilt on it. I would take it out back where the water would not matter then squirt you cleaner od choice on it and brush what I could then wash it off with water then possibly do it5 again and rinse off then take back inside and dry off with air hose and some heat from any thing s alamander heater or blow drier whatever you have just to get it dried off.

Thanks ,
Whizkidkyus
I suppose you know this but just in case that generator has nothing to do with Chicago or being American made. Chicago Electric is a brand name Harbor Freight uses for a lot of equipment and tools it imports. I see some guy under the name of generator guru offer parts for them, I was surprised at the actual amount of things he shows as available. Good luck with your project!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back