CHOOSING WIRE SIZE AND WELDING

John T

I observed so much confusion below (plus several threads in over 20 years on here) that I feel compelled to try my best to provide some basic information regarding the current rating of an insulated conductor or what in the trade is referred to as its AMPACITY. What many (not all) lay and even some professional electricians or engineers may fail to understand is as follows:

1) Ampacity is based on the ability of the wire and its insulation to carry X amount of current and to be able to dissipate the heat so generated WITHOUT DAMAGING OR DEGRADING THE INSULATION or the conductor.

2) Ampacity of an insulated conductor is dependent upon several factors such as:
a) Size and chemistry of the conductor (aluminum or copper etc)
b) Temperature
c) Type, Class and chemical make up of the insulator.
d) If the conductor is single and in free air it has MUCH MUCH HIGHER ampacity versus MUCH less ampacity if jacketed (rubber, non metallic, romex) or enclosed in a raceway or conduit, and if so how many conductors and in what size conduit.

Dont take my word for it, heres what WIKIPEDIA has to say:

Ampacity is a portmanteau for ampere capacity defined by National Electrical Codes, in some North American countries. Ampacity is defined as the maximum current, in amperes, that a conductor can carry continuously under the conditions of use without exceeding its temperature rating.[1] Also described as current-carrying capacity.
The ampacity of a conductor depends on its ability to dissipate heat without damage to the conductor or its insulation. This is a function of the insulation temperature rating, the electrical resistance of the conductor material, the ambient temperature, and the ability of the insulated conductor to dissipate heat to the surrounds.
All common electrical conductors have some resistance to the flow of electricity. Electric current flowing through them causes voltage drop and power dissipation, which heats conductors. Copper or aluminum can conduct a large amount of current without damage, but long before conductor damage, insulation would, typically, be damaged by the resultant heat.

A SINGLE CONDUCTOR IN FREE AIR (better ability to dissipate heat) HAS A GREATER AMPACITY and that can explain why if you look inside say a stove or clothes washer/dryer or a welder and see a rats nest of single conductors that are MUCH SMALLER than say some exterior conductors, plus loads are distributed to different wattage heating elements or taps on a transformer etc etc. What ONE input wire conducts may be spread and distributed over MANY different interior wires, explains why some could perhaps possibly be smaller ????

As BOTH an Electrical Engineer plus an Attorney familiar with product liability and those huge risks, I would bet and say for sure the ampacity of wires used inside a tool or appliance HAVE MORE THAN ADEQUATE AMPACITY to conduct current WITHOUT degrading or melting the insulation which could cause a short to case/frame and kill a user !!!!!!!!!!! No way their engineers and lawyers would risk under sizing the internal wiring.

As I posted below trying to help and answer our good friend and my neighbor George plus everyone, back when I practiced the NEC (maybe changed by now it changes every 3 years) prescribed method for selecting the conductors was to compute the Maximum Continuous Current and size the conductor to have a minimum of 125% rating of the MCC. That would apply to the home/shop distribution as well as an appliances interior wiring THE WIRE HAS TO BE BIG ENOUGH TO HANDLE THE CURRENT AND NOT MELT THE INSULATION Well DUH that makes sense to me

HOME AND SHOP ELECTRICAL DISTRIBUTION
Back when I practiced and pursuant to the THEN NEC (may be different now it changes every 3 years so no warranty) if I had to design and specify wiring to feed a 50 Amp Receptacle I HAD TO USE 50 AMP RATED WIRE ..No way my boss would have let me get by specifying 12 Gauge to a 50 Amp receptacle. Thats NOT to say how the code today may be different or that a certain tool or appliance may not require as much current and get by with lighter duty electrical service THATS ALL IM SAYING ABOUT THAT

WELDERS as well all know welding at lower amps means less input current while max welding amps would draw much more primary current WELL DUH. If you only weld lower currents you can get by with MUCH LESS primary current. If I were to design the power to feed a welder I would use what is required IF I NEEDED TO WELD AT MAX HIGH CURRENT FOR SUSTAINED TIMES even if smaller cheaper wiring would get me by fine for the lighter welding. I have NO doubt for light duty lower current welding 12 Gauge wire could suffice just fine, but being me I would over engineer and provide adequate enough service/receptacle should I need to upgrade and/or weld at higher currents, Id rather do it now possibly OVER size than have to upgrade later.

There ya go, this is intended to HELP and explain NOT start a feud because I believe anyone has the right to wire as THEY so choose not what anyone here (me included) or the NEC has to say. Being I was trained in, practiced and attended NEC Seminars and Workshops over many years and understand the code and its reasons, I tend to follow it believing doing so may save a life or prevent a fire, but if anyone thinks they know better or have a better way or choose to do otherwise I SUPPORT THEIR RIGHT TO DO SO !!!!!!!!!!!

NOTE theres NO WAY can I explain nor expect anyone to understand in a few sentences what took years of study and practice to comprehend, but hey I try my best to help so cut me some slack if I made mistakes above

Best wishes and God Bless everyone here, be safe now

John T BSEE,JD Long retired n rusty EE but believe this remains true today

I agree....

The receptacle should be connected with wire of sufficient capacity and fed from a breaker of appropriate size to support the rating of the receptacle.

No matter what is plugged into said receptacle.

JohnT
I'm not a EE tech, just have an MS in Math and Physics.
I'm fully aware of everything you posted. So thanks anyhow.

If I don't trip breakers, what is wrong with using smaller wires and the correct size breaker as long as wires are exposed to the air and don't get hot?
You can't hurt a transformer using less input voltage because of IR losses.

Please don't preach from the NEC bible on my behalf.

You're welcome good neighbor.

Hey whatever works for you is fine by me, if smaller wires are still protected so you don't exceed their rated ampacity I don't envision any major hazard with regard to that portion of the circuit so GO FOR IT regardless if it meets, exceeds or even if less than the NEC has to say lol ITS YOUR CHOICE

Fun sparky chatting with you, glad to help out.

John T

X2 Thanks for your thoughts. FWIW We agree (that makes two of us at least) a receptacle should be
connected with wire of sufficient capacity and fed from a breaker of appropriate size AND I BELIEVE THE CODE
MAY CONFIRM THE SAME BUT NO WARRANTY IT CHANGES ???????

Best wishes

John T

JohnT, I understand completely that there are standards that an engineering firm would adhere to as a matter of principle. Better than code is never a bad thing.

But, my installation mentioned earlier conforms to the NEC articles governing wiring for welding machines, and only welding machines.

I would never wire a general purpose outlet to that standard. As stated earlier, dedicated welder outlets should be labeled as such. If I plugged one of my big electric heaters into my dedicated welding outlet, breaker would trip before damaging anything. Because, I follow the 'golden rule', breakers are to protect the wiring. So, my 30a would open before the 10ga wire overheated and certainly before the 50a recpt was damaged.

Below is copied for Geo's post and is what informed my choice of methods.
(quoted from post at 16:57:22 10/18/22) The duty cycle of the 225 lincoln is 20%.

Table 630.11(A) Duty Cycle Multiplication Factors for Arc Welders
Duty Cycle Multiplier for Arc Welders
Nonmotor
Generator Motor
Generator
100 1.00 1.00
90 0.95 0.96
80 0.89 0.91
70 0.84 0.86
60 0.78 0.81
50 0.71 0.75
40 0.63 0.69
30 0.55 0.62
20 0.45 0.55

So what does this mean?? I'm not a lawyer or an educated electrician.

Does it mean you multiply 50 amps By .45 = 22.5 amps?

If so, 10g wire and a 30 amp breaker are good to use and in compliance with .NEC code ??

The power cord is 12g wire and 12g wire is rated at 20 amps.
That is right out of the NEC. And he interpreted it correctly.

Not intended to be argumentative at all, just informative.

Each and everyone of us should practice code compliant and safe methods.

Myself i don't know why people want to be cheap when doing things . two years back i bought a small mig to have around the house for those little jobs that will take zap here and there . I found a never out of the box Lincoln 140 C for half price . They claim that it needs a 20 amp breaker , So 20 amp = 12 ga. , have you seen any of the NEW 12 Ga wire lately ???? sure NOT the same old 12 Ga . that i used when we rewired this OLD house . It is just a whisker bigger then 14 Ga. now as i wanted to put some new plugs in the old coal cellar and move some of my wood working tools over there , i had some OLD 12Ga left over but not enough so after getting sticker shock needing two nitro pills and half a inhaler to recover i found some a little less then lowes and Homer Depot and bought a 250 roll . Now with the welder i got talking to the local welding store and he was telling me on these Lincoln's the hardest thing on them that leads to failure was low line voltage and weak breakers kicking out . he advised me that instead of a 20 amp to up the game to no less then a 25 Amp and if i was going to have a run from the main more the 25 feet go heavier . Well around here ya ain't ah going to find a 25 amp breaker . SOOOOO we found a 30 Amp and we went 10 ga from the box to the plug as the plug is 40 feet from the main. Way back when i had a Buzz box while still living at home even as a KID i used 6 ga. from the main to the welder plug for a Lincoln tombstone A C 225 and a 50 amp plug .

CONGRATULATIONS AND X2 Myself i don't know why people want to be cheap when doing things .

Better safe than sorry when it comes to fire and life safety especially when it doesn't cost all that much more...While doing it half A$$ or less then code can get you by (its worked fine for years never tripped a breaker they say) I just like you prefer to do it right the first time

Thanks for your input nice sparky chatting with you

John T

BTW.
I checked 50 ft of 6-2 w ground costs $170 plus tax.
Before the damdemic, I bought 250 ft of 10-2 w ground $90.

10-2 is what I'm using and will continue.
I noticed lincoln now uses heavier whip. Go figure.
Nice chat.
Happy camping..

Thanks for your input Ken, X2 I certainly appreciate it and your information. Like you, I'm NOT here to argue either ONLY HELP AND EDUCATE maybe save a life or prevent a fire.

NOTE I being thoroughly trained and having practiced it for years NEVER argue against adhering to the NEC and never said your or other wiring wasn't in accordance with the NEC according to your particular and very specific use (I never got that deep in the weeds). I explained how to properly size conductors, what all was involved in determining ampacity, why and how smaller conductors can still have adequate ampacity versus much larger ones in different applications,,,,,,,Why if (at least when I practiced but codes change every 3 years) I were to install a 50 Amp Receptacle I would use 50 amp wire NOT 20 amp, and I believe that remains true today even if sure at the same time the NEC may have special exceptions where the load is a welder IE BOTH CAN BE TRUE at the same time IT DEPENDS ON THE APPLICATION. I believe all I posted is still true and believe there can indeed be special exceptions where welders are in use SUBJECT TO DUTY CYCLE and welding current !!!!! Sounds reasonable to me ...

HOWEVER I go one step further even if NOT NEC compliant, I support ones free choice to wire as he please (welder or anything else) in his shop EVEN if its incorrect or unsafe EVEN THOUGH I UNDERSTANDING AND TRAINED IN THE CODE WOULD NEVERRRRRRRRR DO THE SAME. As George and I often post TO EACH THEIR OWN

NOTE I purposely offer no comment not having studied the duty cycle and other special considerations and exceptions concerning welders, and what exceptions to the general rules the code permits, its complicated it would take me some time to study it grrrrrrrrr lol

NOTE Still I would go ahead and wire a 50 amp receptacle to full 50 amp capacity in case I needed to weld at higher current,,,,, or for longer time,,,,,, or to allow a bigger Duty Cycle or needed to upgrade. WHY CONNECT A 50 AMP RECEPTACLE WITH 20 AMP WIRE WHEN 50 AMP ISNT MUCH HARDER OR THAT MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE ?? If wiring a receptacle why not go ahead and provide full ampacity if ever needed ?? Its NOT somnething I would do but still believe each has THEIR own choice if they only use 20 amp wire GO FOR IT even if smaller wire means more voltage drop !!!!!!!!!! Sorry even if the code permits it I would opt for full capacity wiring BUT THATS JUST ME AND IN MY ENGINEERS DNA LOL yall use smaller wire if you like PROVIDED THAT the NEC has welder exceptions that allow it YOUR CHOICE NOT MINE

Looks like we BOTH agree big time to your post when you say........
Not intended to be argumentative at all, just informative. Each and everyone of us should practice code compliant and safe methods.

John T BSEE,JD Its been a pleasure sparky chatting with you. I also intend not to be argumentative just informative, hey if we save a life or prevent a fire God Bless the person or family we help..........I still believe all I posted is accurate, but if not Im never too old to learn

Hey Im as much a tightwad as you my friend lol I support ones choice to use whatever dang wire HE chooses regardless of cost or consequences.

John T Were BOTH happy campers X2 Nice Chat also

3 at least. If the pin pattern on the receptacle matches the pin on the cord cap, someone will plug in the device. Derating a wiring job is not in my book. Jim

What I would like to know is why all of the newer houses all of the outlets are 15 amp. If you have a need larger than a toaster you are in trouble. I work in peoples houses and try to run a very small air compressor and more often than not can't do it.

Stephen, I HEAR YOU FWIW it was always my practice and personal preference to specify 20 Amp T Slot receptacles on 20 Amp Branch Circuits: Here are a few notes for your consideration, they may help or make you more confused lol.

Typically many household Branch Circuits are still 20 Amp rated, NOT 15 Amp circuits which may be used for some lighting circuits.

The NEC permits 15 Amp receptacles for use on 20 Amp Branch Circuits but NOT 20 amp receptacles on 15 Amp circuits. The reasons get a bit in the weeds, Im NOT going there but there are reasons, the NEC board members are true experts (even if Billy Bob and Bubba or others know better lol), I will never forget the Seminars I attended WOW.

The NEC limits the load on 15 Amp Receptacles to 80% of their rating IE .8 x 15 = only 12 Amps

Of course, 15 Amp can cost less

Mike Holt (NOTTTTTTTT me) a leading NEC authority has stated (Its on You Tube) 15 Amp receptacles are actually 20 amp rated and interiors BUT WITH A 15 AMP FACEPLATE.....Take that up with Mike NOT me

Great sparky chatting with you Stephen, we have done so often and I always enjoy it

John T Longgggggggg retired n rusty on this topic remember but I still enjoy it

Hey Professor, Your reasoning is sound, its in line with why the NEC allows 15 amp receptacles on 20 amp branch circuits (see my post above) BUT NOT 20 AMP RECEPTACLES ON 15 AMP CIRCUITS Because somebody will plug in a 20 Amp load grrrrrrrrrrr lol I will still wire a 50 Amp Receptacle with 50 amp rated wire and dont care if someone plugs in a welder that only requires 20 amps !!!!!!!!!

John T

> What I would like to know is why all of the newer houses all of the outlets are 15 amp. If you have a need larger than a toaster you are in trouble. I work in peoples houses and try to run a very small air compressor and more often than not can't do it.

Because 14 gauge is cheaper than 12. I don't think there's any other reason to run 15 amp circuits in a house. And that's hardly unique to newer homes; 15 amp circuits seem to be the rule rather than the exception.

Our former tenants bought a brand new house, and invited us in to see it. They paid almost $400K for the house, yet it had the VERY CHEAPEST interior doors you can buy. You know, the hollow ones that are basically pressed paper. Now the difference in price between a cheap door and a really nice one is less than a hundred bucks. But in a house that has twenty doors that's two grand. In a development of 50 houses that's a hundred grand.

Amazing how much mileage a bunch of old pharts can get from an off-hand comment in an electrical post. George deserves some YT bonus points for stirring the pot on this one.

X2 I agree, George is a good man in my opinion, he starts interesting threads, asks good questions and contributes to educational threads from which we can all (indeed lots of old pharts here lol) learn and benefit. Keep them coming good neighbor YAY FOR GEORGE.. In over 20 years on here its very common for any electrical or legal, EV or gas prices, solar or energy threads that draw the most lay as well as professional opinions SO THIS IS NO SURPRISE TO ME .......

Keep em coming George, I appreciate them..

John T

Personally, I can't stand 14 gauge wiring even for lighting. For outlets and lights in my house I've only wired 20 amp circuits.

The only place I've used 14, was some UF cable for outdoor lighting. It would be OK for indoor lights I guess, but running two separate systems (20 for outlets, 15 for lights) just complicates what should be an easy job.

I also use several 20 amp recpts 'cause I have a little mig welder that uses them along with a portable compressor and airless sprayer.

But, I've broken some 15 and 20s over the years and find no difference other than the T slot. After all the 15s ar rated for 20 pass thru.

Were from the same mold Stephen X2 I agree. I just prefer to be on the safer side when it comes to fire and life safety, but that was my career. Also as Im sure you're aware the NEC prescribes MINIMUM standards and when in doubt I like to go even above and beyond.........

John T

But, I've broken some 15 and 20s over the years and find no difference other than the T slot. After all the 15s ar rated for 20 pass thru.

Mike Holt says something similar....check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6PcfS0MqOc&t=1s

Its fun sparky chatting with you Ken

John T
15 and 20 Amp Receptacles

John T: chasing a rabbit here, but why use t-slot 20 amps? Are there common appliances that use 120V with this configured plug? I've used the 30 amp version for my 220V table saw and planer, and I have a couple of 20 amp plugs in my junk with 90 degree opposed blades, but WHY for 120V? steve

(quoted from post at 20:04:41 10/19/22) Amazing how much mileage a bunch of old pharts can get from an off-hand comment in an electrical post. George deserves some YT bonus points for stirring the pot on this one.
I am betting some are just trolling posts.

Would you please explain to us dummies what this chart means?

Please don't tell me what you would use!

Just the facts please.

Table 630.11(A) Duty Cycle Multiplication Factors for Arc Welders
Duty Cycle Multiplier for Arc Welders
Nonmotor
Generator Motor
Generator
100 1.00 1.00
90 0.95 0.96
80 0.89 0.91
70 0.84 0.86
60 0.78 0.81
50 0.71 0.75
40 0.63 0.69
30 0.55 0.62
20 0.45 0.55

One reason is THEY ARE RATED FOR 20 AMPS WHILE THE OTHER IS ONLY 15 AMPS (assuming both arent the same ???) The code allows 15 Amp receptacles on 20 Amp circuits but NOT 20 amp on 15 Amp circuits. Soooooooooo no other reasons besides if you were to need a receptacle that allows 20 amp plugs the 20 amp receptacle is there in place (yet also accepts 15 amp plug) and they are theoretically higher rated. USE EITHER IS FINE BY ME AND THE CODE and when I designed the answer depended ON THE APPLCATION AND USE. Most places 15 amp was used but in others I specified 20 .......15 are cheaper !!!!!!1 thats yet one other reason to justify their use.........

Great questions hope this helps

John T Loves helping sparky chats and questions

If I have to explain to because you cant figure it out, that is sad. Im glad you never taught kids.

(quoted from post at 12:47:02 10/20/22) Please explain what the chart means and we may can put a stop to what size wire to use?.
ince you are just being heckled vs getting an answer, try this. Your 'non-motor" welder has nameplate 20% duty cycle, so accordin to the posted chart, it can be supplied with a conductor sized for 0.45 X nameplate primary amperes and protected by breaker sized for the wire or the next size larger breaker.

(quoted from post at 11:32:28 10/20/22)
(reply to post at 11:47:45 10/20/22)
NEC paragraph numbers for thise two statements, please. Thank you.
It means you can cheap out on wire if your hard wiring it to the welder. Which is a true "dedicated" circuit.

Any circuit with a receptacle is NOT a dedicated circuit.

(quoted from post at 15:19:39 10/20/22)
It means you can cheap out on wire if your hard wiring it to the welder. Which is a true "dedicated" circuit.

630.11(A) covers the first statement.

Second needs no citation since if there is a receptacle in the circuit, the receptacle allows anything with the matching plug to be connected. Thus not a dedicated circuit for anything.

(quoted from post at 14:55:07 10/20/22)
(quoted from post at 15:19:39 10/20/22)

630.11(A) covers the first statement.

Second needs no citation since if there is a receptacle in the circuit, the receptacle allows anything with the matching plug to be connected. Thus not a dedicated circuit for anything.
just re-read 630.11(a) and do not see either "dedicated" or "hard wired" words in appearance?

(reply to post at 16:01:46 10/20/22)
Yep!
It is weird that NEC allows you to wire a circuit for less than what amperage the outlet is sized for.

I guess you could claim that every 50amp outlet on every circuit in a building is for 20% duty cycle welders.
That way they could all be wired with 10ga and 30amp breakers and pass code.

Stuart.
Why won't the EE's explain the NEC rules for welders?
Answer, Because it goes against their preaching.
Why won't you explain the NEC rules?
I know what it means. I want to hear the electricians say that 50 amp wire isn't required for a 20% duty cycle..

(quoted from post at 09:21:39 10/21/22) Stuart.
Why won't the EE's explain the NEC rules for welders?
Answer, Because it goes against their preaching.
Why won't you explain the NEC rules?
I know what it means. I want to hear the electricians say that 50 amp wire isn't required for a 20% duty cycle..
ell, you did hear it from this EE.

Jessie and 007 you can protect the 10g wire with a 30 amp breaker and not worry about it.
My welder has worked just fine and yet to trip the 30 amp breaker and I do most of my welding on the 120 amp setting.
BTY, the lincoln 225(20% duty) is for a diy hobby welder not the professional who would most likely have 300 amp 100% duty or a motor driven welder (100%) on the back of his service truck.

I read someplace, the duty cycle is based on the 150 amp range not the 225 range. And the ambient temp is 70 degrees..

There was an argument here once as to whether ampacity was even a word It seems only electricians heard of it and everyone else thought it was made up .John T as always gives you the strait scoop.

Why does it matter? It's very clear that you will not change your opinion on this subject. I've yet to meet an electrician that would wire a 50 amp welder with 10 gauge wire, but after doing a bit more research I think it does conform to current NEC code. Now I want to be very clear that I do not condone or recommend the practice. The NEC also allows EMT to be installed without a grounding conductor pulled in it, and I have yet to work with a single guy that will do it that way. Relying on couplings and connectors as a ground fault path is just crazy in my opinion. I'd also like to speak with a electrical inspector to see their thoughts on welder wiring. The AHJ can require you to go above and beyond code and there's a couple around here that I'd bet would fail your current welder set up.

(quoted from post at 15:57:14 10/21/22) Why does it matter? It's very clear that you will not change your opinion on this subject. I've yet to meet an electrician that would wire a 50 amp welder with 10 gauge wire, but after doing a bit more research I think it does conform to current NEC code. Now I want to be very clear that I do not condone or recommend the practice. The NEC also allows EMT to be installed without a grounding conductor pulled in it, and I have yet to work with a single guy that will do it that way. Relying on couplings and connectors as a ground fault path is just crazy in my opinion. I'd also like to speak with a electrical inspector to see their thoughts on welder wiring. The AHJ can require you to go above and beyond code and there's a couple around here that I'd bet would fail your current welder set up.
hy it matters is that you first told him he was in violation of code. Then not in violation, and now not the way I would do it. Some people just go to any lengths to "be right" all the time. :roll:

Really? I literally just admitted that I was wrong. Some guys on here have nothing better to do than pick fights. I've yet to meet an
electrician that hasn't made mistakes, and I'm not too proud to admit when I'm wrong. You can take your roll elsewhere, I have no need to
argue with salty guys that get their daily thrills by pushing buttons.

You have 2 masters degree and you cant figure out why wiring a 50 amp outlet with less than rated wire is a bad idea?
Sounds like you have had the common sense educated right out of you.

(quoted from post at 17:19:45 10/22/22) You have 2 masters degree and you cant figure out why wiring a 50 amp outlet with less than rated wire is a bad idea?
Sounds like you have had the common sense educated right out of you.

He was not actually asking what size should be used for the 50amp receptacle.
. He was asking how come Lincoln puts a 50amp plug on the factory supplied, 12ga wire powercord.
And gets away with it.

He did say he has had his 50amp receptacle wired with 10ga and 30amp breaker "without issue, forever".

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back