chromed aluminum wheels

my wifes '2005
Lincoln Town Car has a slow leak , Turns out the chrome is flaking off around the tire bead and that cracking and flaking is letting air out of the tirw ,,. looks like the best fix will be a tube ,, but i wondered if there were any tricks out there i have not thought of , thanks jim

I think putting a tube in a tire/rim designed as tubeless could be a leagle issue if it failed and there were injuries. I am sure tire stores will not do it. Demounting the tire and polishing the chrome off of the rim contact area, then using a rim sealant will work. Jim

See it a lot on Chevys and Ford products.

The best solution I have found is to use a 4" angle grinder with an 80 grit followed by a 120 grit flap disc and remove all of the chrome plating from the bead seat area. You must use caution and not dig into the rim to much by pressing the disc into the rim to hard. Any good tire shop should be able to clean them. Some shops will just apply bead sealant to the rim without cleaning them. Bead sealer works ok for a little while. But it not a permanent fix.

Putting tubes in radial tires would only be my last choice after I have tried everything else.

mvphoto108656.jpg

DO NOT USE a solid grinding disc. For you can damage a rim very easily with them.

Nothing wrong with using a tube, the tube/tubeless danger would be the other way around anyway. I usually use a wire wheel or those flexible abrasive discs, on a drill or grinder.

When the chrome peels it will usually corrode where the tire bead seals, the corrosion will cause leaks too. After cleaning you can spray primer or paint on the beard surface to help prevent future problems. Keep in mind you have 3 more wheels that might give problems in the future.

edit: the tube will work but keep in mind, there are tubes specific to radial tires. They say radial tubes are ok in Bias or Radial, but Bias tubes are only for Bias ply tires.

This post was edited by 4play on 08/17/2023 at 07:52 pm.

It's real easy to do, get yourself a can
of Tech Bead sealer and liberally coat the
bead area of the rim. I have seen this
many times, usually on ford vehicles. You
should be able to buy the Tech brand at
car parts stores. Please use the Tech
brand. It's usually thicker than most of
the other brands.

I have done all of the things listed polished and seated beads ,used bead sealer , and put tubes in them. The big problem with tubes is getting decent tubes these days most if not all are made out of the country and of dubious quality. The bead sealer I put on both the rim and tire one side at a time by knocking one bead down then seat and do the other so it doesn't dry out to fast to seal. I suppose that could also depend on the brand you use too. And the polishing the rim bead area is pretty common for me since we have issues sometimes with stone damage to rims in the field running flat some before seeing in the dust. SO I go around all rims with a file before mounting tires so as to not find a cut in a bead prying it on from a ding or jam in the rim lip.

(quoted from post at 00:29:37 08/18/23) It's real easy to do, get yourself a can
of Tech Bead sealer and liberally coat the
bead area of the rim. I have seen this
many times, usually on ford vehicles. You
should be able to buy the Tech brand at
car parts stores. Please use the Tech
brand. It's usually thicker than most of
the other brands.
Only after cleaning all of the chrome off the bead area.

The State of Texas doesn't inspect for TPMS during annual inspections. In Urban counties they are interested in
passing emission tests. Last time I had new tires installed the dealer installed plain vanilla stems......so, do like you
always did before big brother didn't want you hurting yourself.....monitor your tire pressure.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back