Clean it out or burn it out? A fuel question...

The 64 4000 I'm bringing home tomorrow has a half tank of (so they say) 4 year old diesel in it. It did start and run just fine for a good 30 min before we parked it back in the barn.

Now, I'm told the deceased owner did, 4 yrs ago, regularly keep the filters changed ect ect.

My question is, do I drain and replace that half a tank of fuel, or just run down till near empty and fill it with fresh diesel, or... top it up with fresh mixed into that old stuff and stop thinking about it?

Me being tite I'd put quart of motor oil in it and fill up tank and run it since started and ran fine. Mite not hurt to change fuel filter anyway.

(quoted from post at 20:27:39 03/23/20) I would use it if not snotted up with algae.

I'll have to take a good look in the tank and at the glass bowl if it has one.... or suck a qt out into a jar and see. Good point.

I bought a 3000 diesel that had sat in a
field for 13 years and parted it out. It
had nearly a full tank of fuel.
I drained some of it into a can and it
looked clean so I used it up in another
tractor.

cvphoto9428.jpg

If it doesn't have algae/ sludge, just
use it. Open the drain on the bottom of
the filter to get rid of any water, and
fill it up to limit condensation. Diesel
can sit for years and still be good.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back