Clutch 49 8N

Billybuck

Made better progress than expected. Flywheel cleaned, remounted, pilot bearing installed, rear main seal in, throw out bearing installed and clutch mounted. Question before closing her up: I was surprised by the inward travel of the pressure plate fingers when the clutch housing was tightened to flywheel. This is a complete assembly replacement with pilot tool. Long side of disk hub facing out.
For clutch housing removal, the manual calls for wood wedges to presumably suspend pressure plate pressure against the disk and bolts for removal. The wedges in the illustration look very small. Id need 1/2 wedges to further depress the fingers.
Are there any measurements for clutch fingers to top of clutch housing, or top of disk hub to top of fingers?

(quoted from post at 21:00:11 12/27/20) Made better progress than expected. Flywheel cleaned, remounted, pilot bearing installed, rear main seal in, throw out bearing installed and clutch mounted. Question before closing her up: I was surprised by the inward travel of the pressure plate fingers when the clutch housing was tightened to flywheel. This is a complete assembly replacement with pilot tool. Long side of disk hub facing out.
For clutch housing removal, the manual calls for wood wedges to presumably suspend pressure plate pressure against the disk and bolts for removal. The wedges in the illustration look very small. Id need 1/2 wedges to further depress the fingers.
Are there any measurements for clutch fingers to top of clutch housing, or top of disk hub to top of fingers?

I found this reference to a template for a gauge to measure clutch finger height posted by Den n MS in 2018. If it is designed to span the clutch housing with outside legs resting on the flywheel surface and center leg on the fingers, the top of the fingers would be 2 above the flywheel surface. If that is correct I can check that with straight edge and ruler tomorrow.

mvphoto67297.png

(quoted from post at 00:53:06 12/28/20)
(quoted from post at 21:00:11 12/27/20) Made better progress than expected. Flywheel cleaned, remounted, pilot bearing installed, rear main seal in, throw out bearing installed and clutch mounted. Question before closing her up: I was surprised by the inward travel of the pressure plate fingers when the clutch housing was tightened to flywheel. This is a complete assembly replacement with pilot tool. Long side of disk hub facing out.

I found this reference to a template for a gauge to measure clutch finger height posted by Den n MS in 2018. If it is designed to span the clutch housing with outside legs resting on the flywheel surface and center leg on the fingers, the top of the fingers would be 2 above the flywheel surface. If that is correct I can check that with straight edge and ruler tomorrow.

mvphoto67297.png

Assuming my interpretation of the tool above was correct, my fingers measured exactly 2 above the flywheel face, just as suggested by the tool. Reassured by that, we went ahead and put her back together tonight. Quite a battle and finally won.
Now I notice clutch pedal free play is excessive, like 2 1/2-3 and my adjusting bolt is mostly turned in already. I examined all fork through pedal parts while in there with maybe 3/4 pedal travel before movement of TO bearing from wear at the clevis pin but all else firm and intact. Hmmmm

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back