clutch pulley gear shift not cooperating/'52 JD b/sugge

Hi. Regarding a '52 John Deere B narrow front end. Unable to get shifter into gear unless tractor is turned off, just hear gears grinding. Also clutch pulley will not stop turning even when clutch brake is forcefully applied and then brake pad will smoke (last time for that). Would possibly tightening or loosening the three castle nuts in the clutch pulley allow for pulley to stop turning when clutch brake is pulled rearward? P.S Within the last year I had previously taken the clutch pulley apart to do a visual except noticed nothing unusual compared to what I read. Tractor does not see much use. Any ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. nutsandbolts.

Your pulley brake set right? Does the clutch snap when you disengage and engage it? If not then you need to adjust the 3 castle nuts till it gives a snap when engaging it.

Your problem is caused by the Pulley Brake being way-out of adjustment allowing the clutch to go over-center and begin engaging. The 3/8'' x 2'' cap screw on the brake lever needs to be to be screwed out to keep the clutch from going over-center. If you have the parts manual, PC-330, look at items 28 and 29 on page 22.

Leave the 3 castle nuts alone unless the clutch doesn't Snap when you engage/disengage the clutch.

Did you see my reply to your post the other day about the throttle screw in your Powr-Trol?

Thank you Pete, yes I read your reply regarding the powr--trol throttle screw. Very helpful. Now to address this clutch issue.

You can do this without the tractor running. when you engage the clutch, you should see a slight amount of end play in the pulley. It will move towards the wheel. When you disengage the clutch it will move back towards the tractor. Watch the pulley and if it starts to move towards the wheel when you pull back on the lever, the clutch is starting to engage again. If the clutch is engaging tight enough to smoke the brake, I doubt if you can adjust away your problem. More than likely the clutch sleeve is worn allowing too much travel in the clutch.

Been a while since I had that stuff apart but could it be that bearing in there seized up? The one that gets no lube unless you lube it yourself.

Hi All. Good news thanks to members here. Tweaked the linkage and three castle nuts on clutch pulley as well as the brake. Works as it should. pull back on hand clutch, pulley stops. Easy shifting. Nice snap, what more can a guy ask for, ha! What can be done so engaging the clutch isn't so sensitive, allowing it to be more fluid? Thanks in advance, nutsandbolts

If your clutch is very sensitive, it might have some rust or gum on the driver or linings. When you engage the clutch, slowly engage it and let it slip for a few seconds. This might polish up things and smooth it out.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back