Cold weather trans-hyd oil 4000 SOS

Ringy

Can I use Universal trans-hyd oil in my 4000 with SOS in the winter and switch back to 134d in warmer weather? I think I read somewhere a while ago that UT-H is 20-30 wt and 134d is 40-50 weight.Is that correct? Is 20-30 wt. heavy enough? My loader is almost unusable now with mc241 (I believe 80-90 wt).

(quoted from post at 22:56:56 01/02/11) Can I use Universal trans-hyd oil in my 4000 with SOS in the winter and switch back to 134d in warmer weather? I think I read somewhere a while ago that UT-H is 20-30 wt and 134d is 40-50 weight.Is that correct? Is 20-30 wt. heavy enough? My loader is almost unusable now with mc241 (I believe 80-90 wt).

Ringy,

I'm not an expert, but from my time on this site, I would stick with the 134d or equal spec. oil. I think it is actually closer to 20-30 wt. I use the 134d equivalent in my 971 and hyds as well and everything operated pretty well this weekend, about 20 degrees here yesterday.

What temps are you fighting? If nothing else, let it run and warm up some, [color=red:4703df397e]if the hydraulic pump is in decent shape[/color:4703df397e], the 134d should work fine.

Chris

Well, today was about 0. Seems most days That I use it the temp is 10 or colder. In the summer it is never a problem. It takes over an hour of idling with the pto running just to warm it up.

134d is all I use year round. It was -2 today and I had to dump manure. Fired it up let it warm for 15 min and went to work. no problem with anything at all. I have used it year round for as long as I can remember. LarryT

M2C-41 is not 80 weight stuff. It is the original spec for the SOS and is more akin to ATF than it is to 80-90.

If you're having trouble in the cold Archer Petroleum has a low temperature Unifluid which exceeds all the specs for your application. Most of us run the Unifluid XP and are happy, but the Low Temp is supposed to make us happier in very cold weather. I'm sure other companies can do this as well, but none will be as good as Archer! :lol: :roll:

I forgot to add: Archer's Low Temp Unifluid is suitable for use in warmer temperatures as well. Our viscosity indexes are very high. In other words, the flowability does not change as much with varying temperatures. For instance, the old 303 (a JD spec from the 1960s) fluid that some stores still sell has a VI of 51, whereas Archer Unifluid has a VI of 200.

Hello Ringy , The original M2C41 SPEC is a 10W30 spec oil as the others have said but with a special additive package. I only use VALVOLINE #813 which matches the original spec. EXACTLY(and I have already been through this testing of brands with my oil engineer who checked all of this out for me years ago) , 134D does not even though they say it does and all the cheaper brands do not either they all skimp on the additives and if you think New Holland makes a good oil to keep your old tractor running so they don't have to sell you a new one you better think again they don't give a crap about them. I have been rebuilding them for 27 years now and have 5 on the bench right now. TRC / TEXAS REFINERY CORP. makes a fantastic hyd. oil for them also but most guys don't want to spend the money on it. Buying oil from a company that does make and sell oil for business is no different than buying it from the dealer that made the product, long as it gets out of warranty that's all they care about, sooner they can sell you a new one is what it is all about. All I can say is it is your tractor and your money, and I tell my customers you can pay me now or pay me later. The only problem is later we may not be able to get parts to fix them so take care of it now. Thanks Tony Jacobs

I looked at the Texass Refinery Corp website, but they have many products with their names. Can you give me the name of the product you recommend? Thanks, Tom

I'm going to assume the SelectoSpeed has the same basic requirements as the Deere Powershift. Deere uses Hyguard normal-grade for warm temps and it's 20W (by engine oil viscosity standards). Deere calls for special "wintergrade" Hyguard for temps below 20F and it's rated as a 10W combo-oil. The main issue is the ability for the oil to pass through filters when cold - at least with Deere.

I mentioned "engine oil" specs because the numbers have different meanings -depending if for engine oil, or transmission oil. Rough equivalents are:

Engine 30W or 40W equals transmission 90W
Engine 20W eguals transmission 70w
Engine 10W-40 equals transmission 75W90

I have gone to the Valvoline website and do not find #813 listed. Could it be going by a new and improved name? I have a SOS and am very interested in making it last as long as I do, at least.

John-30 and Tom-TX - I've used Archer Unifluid XP in my SOS and Hydrostat transmissions and hydraulics for over 30 years. It meets or exceeds the old Ford M2C41 spec. which was the original SOS spec. It also meets or exceeds the NH-134D spec. www.archeroil.com Unifluid XP is a 10W-20 weight product and Low Temp Unifluid XP is a 5W product.

Send me an email if interested. I think I can ship this UPS in 5 gallon pails as cheap as you can buy the 813 and would be glad to get this superior product in your units. My email is open on modern view of this or BrotherBear2188ataoldotcom.

Hello John , The most popular place to buy Valvoline oil is at any NAPA parts store and that's one reason I recommend it because everyone can find it with out a problem . The 813 number is still current the last time I was there . Thanks Tony

Hello Tom , TRC'S UNIVERSAL TORQUE FLUID part number 6440 in a 5 gal pail is what I use in my own personal tractor's and as I said it is more expensive than the Valvoline but also not as readily available through out the country as Valvoline so some guys would not be able to buy it even if they wanted to spend the extra money . I have used both TRC and MYSTIC brand products in my repair business, and my two Uncle's Farm and Logging Business's for over 30 years with zero problems. Regardless of price grease and oil are cheap versus failures because of grease and oil . Thanks Tony Jacobs

Hello Larry, I can't say anything about Archer products but knowing you I am sure it is a good product. My Industrial oil dealer out here never carried that brand , I don't know why but next time I am there I will ask him about it to see what he says. It is an old three generation business so they do know their stuff. Like TRC and MYSTIC there is a lot of good brands that just do not market everywhere so that can be a problem sometimes. Thanks Tony

134D is a 10W30 weight as are most TDH fluids...
The snake oil salesmen have come and gone around here. I buy my oil at Walmart, Canadian Tire or a local Ultramar dealer. I just can't bring myself to pay nearly double the money for Shell or Valvoline products, both of which are readily available locally or the various Deere and CNH products that are not so readily available here any longer.
For the kind of use I most often read about on here I really can't imagine why on earth anyone would spend that kind of money on oil...

Rod

Hi Tony,

Archer has been kind of a regional company over the years beginning in 1929. You would not likely have heard of it east of Illinois. It has it roots in agriculture and is based out of the Omaha/Council Bluffs area. It has served the agricultural sector in the plains states and surrounding area well for over 80 years. We believe in making oil to a standard and not a price. All of our crude is sweet crude produced in Kansas, Oklahoma or Texas. It is refined to a 6082D spec which is an old aircraft spec.

In the last 5 or 6 years, Archer has been bought out by Growmark, Inc. out of Bloomington, Illinois. However, it is still it's own entity producing lube oils, greases, fuel additives, aerosols crop oils, etc. to a high standard of quality. In many ways we are innovative, even ahead of OEM brands of oil.

Archer also provides free oil analysis to users of our diesel engine oils and other products. We warranty our products not to cause failures in your equipment or we'll repair it for you. To this date, I don't believe Archer has had many claims on this warranty that weren't a bit shady.

Maybe more than you wished to know, but a little of why I use and am proud to promote Archer product.

God bless!

I found it on their website, listed as Valvoline Unitrac VV813. You have to look around a bit, but it is there. Tom

Thanks for all the input. Tom, I did find the VV813 on Valvoline"s website, thanks. Larry NCKS, I appreciate the offer but I would rather not have to have something shipped to me from afar whenever I need it and Valvoline is available locally. I only use this old hoss for a lawnmower these days but would like to keep her going as long as I can. Last transmission service I used Traveller oil from TSC and can tell a difference from the 134, although it meets the 134 specs. It does not shift as well when hot. Come spring I"m going to give the VV813 a go. John

Hello Larry , All Good info to know and never to much to know. One thing I like already is that is comes from Texas/Oklahoma crudes which are Polymer Base Stocks and not Parafin Base Stocks like your Penn. crudes. Thanks Tony

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back