compairing old C pulley to new one/ fan adjuster

souNdguy

As my previous post stated, I got my new C pulley in today... immediately had to go to work.. so.. just got home at 11:15 pm and decided to run out and play a few moments..

I did a real quick go / no go test on the id of the pulley and OD of the crank snout, and od of the seal surface to the seal, with a bit of grease.

everything looks good. pulley will be a GOOD interference fit.

measuring the old one,it is noticeably ( on the dial mic 'wide' in tolerance.

had 2 or 3 mic's and calipers and external and internal feelers to double check myself.

I did a dry fit of the crank and pulley, and was able to seat the pullet tot he edge of the keyway because of the slight chamfer on the id, and I could tell it was going to be a nice smooth, GOOD interference fit.

Now.. is best bet to drive it on with a piece of pipe or to take it down with the bolt and a plate across the front? or a lil of both.

I've heard to warm the pulley up a bit.. by boiling it, etc.. mild heat at the hub.. etc.. just not enough to melt the seal.. etc..

i know to grease the seal.. etc.. and i know to leave the tc loose till it is piloted on the pulley.

Also, I've been soaking the fan belt adjuster ont he top water inlet since it came off. I walk by and squirt it with pb every time I walk thru the shop, and tap the end of the stud with a tack hammer.

put it in the vice this evening.. put a wrench on the previously non moving head, and with less than medium pressure, it unscrewed just fine. i cleaned up the threads with a brass wire wheel and then reassembled it, adding lube to the fan hub thru the screw. glad that adjuster is working. it was seriously FROZE when i took it off.. had to unbolt the dern thing to get the belts off.

can't wait till tomorrow afterwork to get some real wrench time on her

soundguy

Sounds perfect. Good effort and the learning curve is going to be much more productive on the remaining C issues! Jim

how much effort should I expect seating that pulley. is it going to be 'darn, I don't think this things gonna seat' and then beat on it with a hammer and pipe another 10 minutes and it's good.. or 'wow, it took down with a gr8 bolt and heavy washer on the front'.. or somewhere inbetween... :)

any reason i should NOT neverseize it when reinstalling?

soundguy

It is best if you can press fit it on instead of beating it with a hammer. Reason is you can mess up the crank shaft by beating it on. And yep it goes on almost as hard as it comes off and yep BTDT when I built the BA

well I've got a pusher jig for it.. so I's ready.

ok to use neverseize on it?

or should I be mean and jbweld it on :)

soundguy

Do not beat on it at all. If the crank is threaded you can pull it on. Otherwise get it hot in an oven. I have done two of those simply by pulling them on with bolts -- This method is very slow, but it works without damaging anything.

crank is threaded.. 1/2" coarse thread. I have big washers available to slip under some nuts on allthread.

and I got the wifeys permission to either boil the pulley, or slip it in the oven on warm.

soundguy

If the insdie of the new pulley has paint on it you may want to remove as much of that paint as you can. I know you would think that little bit of paint would not matter but I learned it does and also if it has some sort of paper tag etc that would run in the seal area remove it. I learned that a paper tag will make a seal leak. Had that problem on an Oliver 77 and the new pulley had a tag on it but I did not remove the tag and the new seal leaks badly till I removed the tag off the pulley and till I cleaned the paint out of the pulley it would not slide on but it is also not a press fit pulley

if the wife is not around........sneek in the kitchen and grab the deep fryer. heat the pulley in any cooking oil up to about 2-300 degrees and it slides on pretty good. the cooking oil acts as a lubrication. put fresh cooking oil in before you return it!!!!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back