Continuity across 9n solenoid

robertIL

New User
I have a 9n that I'm troubleshooting an electrical short. I show 10 Ohms of continuity across my starter solenoid with everything disconnected. When I push the start button down, the resistance drops to zero which is what I expected. The solenoid only has two posts - (battery and starter) with an additional wire off of the battery post to the resistor. I've always thought this was a purely mechanical solenoid that shouldn't have any continuity until the button was pushed. Am I incorrect in assuming this and need to look elsewhere for my short? Should this be a completely open circuit between the posts until the starter button is pushed?

Last edited:
I have a 9n that I'm troubleshooting an electrical short. I show 10 Ohms of continuity across my starter solenoid with everything disconnected. When I push the start button down, the resistance drops to zero which is what I expected. The solenoid only has two posts - (battery and starter) with an additional wire off of the battery post to the resistor. I've always thought this was a purely mechanical solenoid that shouldn't have any continuity until the button was pushed. Am I incorrect in assuming this and need to look elsewhere for my short.
Should not get a reading across the terminals as you stated it is just a mechanical switch no idea how you would see 10 Ohms. M-MAN is talking talking about an 8N not your 9N

I have a 9n that I'm troubleshooting an electrical short. I show 10 Ohms of continuity across my starter solenoid with everything disconnected. When I push the start button down, the resistance drops to zero which is what I expected. The solenoid only has two posts - (battery and starter) with an additional wire off of the battery post to the resistor. I've always thought this was a purely mechanical solenoid that shouldn't have any continuity until the button was pushed. Am I incorrect in assuming this and need to look elsewhere for my short? Should this be a completely open circuit between the posts until the starter button is pushed?
Be careful with Ohm readings and Continuity readings if you are testing things that are still mounted to the tractor. A Resistance or Continuity test can take a different path than you may think. Recently I was working on a tractor that had an instrument panel light that was wired to always be on if the ignition key was on. It took me a while to figure out that the indication of a ground on my ignition wire was actually the result of the lightbulb in the circuit. I do, now, vaguely remember the Instructor in Tech school warning of this issue when only relying on Continuity and Resistance when trouble shooting. Glad to see you have it figured out.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back