Correct Paint

coachorr51

New User
I just purchased a 1973 Ford 3000 and want to repaint it. Any idea about the paint codes for the blue and off white?

Also, I have a 1953 Golden Jubilee which I will be putting on the market; just don't need 2 tractors.

(quoted from post at 14:31:22 12/26/23) I just purchased a 1973 Ford 3000 and want to repaint it. Any idea about the paint codes for the blue and off white?

Also, I have a 1953 Golden Jubilee which I will be putting on the market; just don't need 2 tractors.

Regarding having too many tractors, you may be sorry later. I keep a tractor for each implement thereby saving my back from switching from one to another. Just hop on and go to work.

If you aren't trying to make jewelry out
of the tractor a good tractor and
implement enamel from Tractor Supply,
Fleet Farm, your local New Holland dealer,
etc will be entirely suitable. Just get
the Ford Blue. It will be a good color
match.
If you spray it with a paint gun make sure
you use the hardener with it or it won't
give you as shiney a finish.
Welcome to the Ford Board. A 3000 is a
pretty big step up from an NAA/Jubilee.
You are going to like it a lot.

If you need one of most anything, you need two so when one breaks you can grab the other and complete what you're working on. Three is even better for when the second breaks before you find time to fix the first.

Any idea about the paint codes for the blue and off white?

This fall I purchased a 960 for a winter project. I am still tearing it down but I recently tried to find the correct off white paint for the hood. On this site someone posted the correct paint code and suggested that NAPA could mix the paint for me. It was a short road trip to get to a NAPA that mixed paint. When they punched the paint code into the computer it suggested more than ten different grays but there was no way to see a paint chip to compare with the part I had brought in to match. After much grumbling I Just went to the Local Menards and purchased a couple cans of Ford Light Grey and Ford Red. It is pretty darn close to the original color and if all of the off white tin is painted the same color no one except an "expert" will ever know. If you are only painting some of the off white tin and you are trying to match the existing color that is an animal of a different stripe!

If you are only painting some of the off white tin and you are trying to match the existing color that is an animal of a different stripe!

If you are painting some of it and you want to match what's there, you need to take a sample to a place that will do computer color matching. No matter whether it is the original paint or a paint that is one or more years old, it will have faded from the original at least some. Even with color matching, you have to hope that the new paint doesn't fade to something completely different than what the old paint fades to as they both continue to fade.

This fall I purchased a 960 for a winter project. I am still tearing it down but I recently tried to find the correct off white paint for the hood. On this site someone posted the correct paint code and suggested that NAPA could mix the paint for me. It was a short road trip to get to a NAPA that mixed paint. When they punched the paint code into the computer it suggested more than ten different grays but there was no way to see a paint chip to compare with the part I had brought in to match. After much grumbling I Just went to the Local Menards and purchased a couple cans of Ford Light Grey and Ford Red. It is pretty darn close to the original color and if all of the off white tin is painted the same color no one except an "expert" will ever know. If you are only painting some of the off white tin and you are trying to match the existing color that is an animal of a different stripe!
Thank you for your help; I'll choose to take your advice.

If you aren't trying to make jewelry out
of the tractor a good tractor and
implement enamel from Tractor Supply,
Fleet Farm, your local New Holland dealer,
etc will be entirely suitable. Just get
the Ford Blue. It will be a good color
match.
If you spray it with a paint gun make sure
you use the hardener with it or it won't
give you as shiney a finish.
Welcome to the Ford Board. A 3000 is a
pretty big step up from an NAA/Jubilee.
You are going to like it a lot.
I was raised on a farm in Alabama in the 60's and 70's; my Dad had a Golden Jubilee and the rest of the 5 pack were all Massey Fergusons from 135 to 285. I have always been partial to Fords.

I am so happy for you that Menards got you straightened out. I just hate it when I see old fords painted white instead of gray. I finally just earlier this year got a '59 that was white when I bought it twenty years ago repainted to the correct gray.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back