Cub issues first one

grandpa Love

Got a cub a while back, motor loose, didn't have time to fool with it until this past weekend. Got it in the barn. Very little compression. Pulled the head, cleaned it up good, adjusted valves, poured some penetrating oil on the valves and let it sit an hour. No leak by. Head back on. Would not run, it would cough and puff smoke,but wouldn't catch and run. Trouble shooting led us to believe that the magneto wasn't hot enough. Put a distributor on and it fired right up!! Tinkered with it and got it running pretty good. Would fire up really quick and sounds great. Changed some fluids yesterday on it. Then fired it up and drove it around for 5-6 minutes. All good. Got it back in the barn and now it will not run. As long as starter is engaged the motor runs, throttle works, revs up and down. Let off starter and tractor dies???? What??? Let it cool off for several hours, no difference. Tried another coil no difference ( in case the old one got too hot) Also found a crack oozing water out of the block.....grrrrr. Any easy fix? Parts tractor? Poor thing was so greasy and caked with grime we couldn't see the crack. Also seeps oil out from a poorly done weld behind lower radiator hose.
cvphoto99587.jpg

As little water pressure as a cub has,I wonder if JB weld or a good epoxy would seal this?

GP,
Back in the 60's I had same problem.
I had a bad ballast resistor which is bypassed during starting.
Let off the starter and car would die.
Is it possible someone wired the tractor that bypasses the ballast resistor during starting??
Should be easy to check. Measure voltage at coil with key on and points open 12v
points closed about half 6v to 8v.

I had a Mercruiser 4 cylinder Chevy block equipped engine that had a 3 horizontal crack midway along the side of the block, about the height of the bottom of the water jacket...half way up the side, thanks to the previous owner's neglect. I prepared the surface to accept an adhesive (roughed it up good and cleaned off any trace of oil/dirt/etc). Applied an overly amount of JB and never another problem for the years I had it and years son had it.

The 3 is 3 inches...my computer isn't displaying the proper symbols and I will fix that.....getting used to a new machine.

It had no wires ,other than battery cables, when I bought it. Oh and a kill switch for magneto. When I swapped to the distributor I put a pull switch. Wire to coil, wire to starter ( battery)

I think this site has an issue with symbols..... degrees, inches, percent.....won't display the symbol. I have nothing to lose, will try JB weld.

I have fixed marine engines with JB Weld, but then they do have a rather large radiator to draw from! LOL

Drain it, V it out with a Dremmel, pack the JB into the crack with your finger, level it off, even sand it down if you like. Good chance it will hold with little to no pressure.

GP,
Sometime around later 50s or 60s cars went from 6v to 12v. They used 6 or 8v coils and
A ballast.

Reason, check your cranking voltage.
Good chance cranking voltage is less than 12v.
cvphoto99596.jpg

Your cranking voltage may not be enough to make hot spark.
My Jubilee doesn't have a 12v coil. It uses a ballast and I was having difficulty getting a hot spark. No way to bypass ballast. So I ran a wire from starter to coil, to bypass ballast. I had to use a diode too. Not Jubilee gets a hot spark during starting becauseits gettingmore voltagethan 6 or 8v. .

If you have a 6v coil try it. If it fires up, you figure out your problem.

My Farmall has a mag. Mags make a hot spark. Try putting a different mag in . Again if it works you have a spark issue.

For the start/running issue try a jumper to keep power going to the coil.
You could have a bad wire or bad ignition switch.

(quoted from post at 11:04:35 08/31/21) The 3 is 3 inches...my computer isn't displaying the proper symbols and I will fix that.....getting used to a new machine.

I don't think it's your computer. Something about the way this site is set up. There is a thread about it in "Site Comments".

Sounds like the ballast resistor is bad. Chrysler had them on the fire wall and if it started then died when you let off the key it as usually the resistor bad.

Yes. I forgot to mention that......actually any time you have a crack in metal drill the holes then weld over the crack...like on welding a mower deck that cracked.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back