Curious about my 1939 9N

Merheb39N

New User
Hello everyone. I just recently traded a bathtub and stand up shower kit/pan for a early model 1939 9N. I'm not interested in selling it at this time but can anyone tell me what they're worth in good condition and what sets them apart from the other years please? Thanks in advance

Here is all you need to know,

https://fordtractorcollectors.com/identify-my-tractor/tractor-id-history/

Post some detailed pictures!

Yours may be a welcome exception, but many of the ''1939 9N''s Ive seen are post-war 2Ns...

Does a magnet stick to the hood? Do the rear hubs have rivets on them or ground smooth? How many spokes on the
steering wheel? 3 or 4? Do the rear fenders have one or two ribs on them?
If its an early '39 as you stated, it could be a nice check. if's it's a '40 on up, You might see a grand in my
area. Good tires paint and metal might even stretch it to $1500.

The value of your '39 (if truly a '39) would depend on serial number, condition and how much original equipment is still on the tractor. Post photos and serial number. If new to the sight you can send photos
and I'll post them for you. hit send email link. Just finished painting up one of my '39's for our ford feature show in 3 weeks. If you are close enough to the show there will be some '39's there come on down
and we'll talk about the old fords.

<a href=https://imgur.com/Bok7CqU>
Bok7CqUl.jpg title=source: imgur.com
</a>

<a href=https://imgur.com/jnZFW0a>
jnZFW0al.jpg title=source: imgur.com
</a>

Keep in mind that your engine serial number is only going to tell you what year your engine is, going strictly by that is not a sure thing. if it's an early '39 and it still has all of it's original equipment,
the aluminum hood, different grille, and rims will be good identifiers. But as mentioned, pics are important in the ID process, and you should climb under and get the casting dates off the bottom of the rear
axle trumpets to see if they are close to each other, and close to the date of the engine serial number. A true early '39 with the right stuff still on it will bring a premium price.

I have over the years had 2 post '44 2Ns (ovular radius arms and later casting dates) that both had '39 engines in them. If it doesn't have the stuff mentioned, it's gonna be worth what any other 9N/2N in like
condition is worth.

Kirk, it's looking good, will it be ready for the show? I am going to be away that weekend. Let's talk manifolds instead. I picked up a long throat manifold and recently fitted it to the engine. The exhaust side fits high and tight to the top of the block and cylinder head, how about yours? The reason I ask is the one I have came off of a Toro truck and I what to make sure it's the proper casting. Thanks, Adam.

I had what I would consider a long throat manifold on my 1944 2N Dad bought
new in May of 44. The orignal manifold cracked and in trying to weld it was
burn up too much to be able to weld. A TSC manifold was put on and for years
had starting problens. One day a very good Ford tractor mechanic happened to
be at the farm for different reasons and took one look at it and said that
manifold was what was the starting problem. He got us the correct manifold
and all starting problems were gone. I wonder if your long throat manifold
would not be one of those mismade TSC units. Our TSC manifold went into the
junk in the 1980's as Dad passed in very early 1990's.

The early 9N was a unique machine. It made its debut in Dearborn, MICH at the FairLane Ford Estate on June 30, 1939. Many parts were obsolete within 2/3 years. Changes
came fast and furious. For example, the first 700-800 units had an aluminum hood. All 9N and 2N models had the 9N prefix in their serial numbers - never was there a
2N prefix. Serial numbers on the block should be ID'd first. Some engines got swapped out so cannot go by just the s/n. Value is based on many factors. Restorers seek
original parts and most all are rare as hens' teeth to locate like the brass sediment bulb, small 'B' Circuit 2-WIRE Generator & Voltage Regulator, 4-spoke steering
wheel; muffler shield, and snap-in battery cover; Ignition ON Dash Lamp; Screw-On Chromed Shifter Ball; 20/20 AMMETER (used only on first 4000 units); and Key Switch
and Start Pushbutton mounted on dash; 8 x 32 Rear Rims & Tires; just to name a few. Special 9N parts are too numerous to list here. Email me and I'll get you a list.
I've seen early 9N's at auctions and all but 2 had incorrect features. A few even had 12V setups with alternators!

EARLY 1939 9N TRACTOR:
Vdg1ZeNl.jpg

Tim Daley (MI)

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back