D Slater - My C-169 block in pictures....

Absent Minded Farmer

Gonna try this again....

Yes, it looks like there should be a fuel pump where the plate is. There's a support for a pushrod near the cam area. I couldn't help but poke at the drip on the bottom of the support. I was amazed that my fingernail left a mark!! I don't know what kind of goo it was dipped in, but you can do that to most of the drips on the block. Which brings up my first important question: what needs to get done to prep the block for assembly? I'd wager it's a little more work than Dawn & a scrub brush. Also, what is the significance of the "C" on the oil pan flange? Some kind of bearing size?

Now, the skinny on this project. The engine will eventually end up in my '42 H & power my mower & hay conditioner. It looks like a Firecrater set (@ Weber's) is in order for this job, but I just don't know if I want to keep it a 169 or bore it to a 175. I may leave it. The 47 predicted HP for the 169 with the Firecrater set should be plenty enough power for the job. The H was stock & 26 HP was ok in average hay. The armpit high 1st crop we had this year was a bit much for it. The blasting medium in the engine may not have been much of a help, either.

Mike
1967IHC-169093.jpg

1967IHC-169011.jpg

1967IHC-169013.jpg

1967IHC-169028.jpg

1967IHC-169080.jpg

1967IHC-169092.jpg

1967IHC-169088.jpg

> Yes, it looks like there should be a fuel pump
> where the plate is.

I wouldn"t think you"d need a fuel pump with an H: the tank should be high enough to give adequate flow. If you do go with a fuel pump I"d suggest an electric.

Hello John,
this post is an update from an earlier post where I botched the pic's & couldn't quite seem to get things right. Yes, you are correct, the H does not need a fuel pump. The thought had crossed my mind, though. I keep seeing those fancy, gold-colored mechanical fuel pumps, on Ebay, with the sediment bowl & silver-foil IH decal & think, "now, that would look sharp!". My luck dictates the fact that a tree branch would knock it off while plowing the fencerow, so it's better off left off of the tractor.

Mike

Fuel pump opening is for when the block was used to replace a power unit or other application using a fuel pump. Just leave the cover on for use in a Farmall.
C169 and C175 blocks have the same bore size without sleeves. probably unless you find a NOS P&S set in the 169 size the C175 size is sold for both engines now. C-175 size uses a different piston pin size than a H and part of the C169 engines. To use with the H connecting rods you will need adapter bushings that go in the small end of the H rod.
Cosmolene, not sure about the spelling is the protective coating. Solvents will remove the coating.
Warning some pistons for C169 and C175 will contact a H gasoline head # 8043DC or lower letter suffix unless ground for clearance.

The coating on the new block is cosmoline rust preventative. It will wash off with petroleum based cleaning solvents.

We has a 43 H that had the provision for a fuel pump. On the C152 block the fuel pump would be mounted near the middle of the right side of the block. I don't recall ever having that engine apart but I would assume that a pump mounted there could run directly off the camshaft without the need of a push rod. My Wp does have a fuel pump mounted on the left side much like what your block shows.

Cosmoline! That's why it looks familiar. Dad called it gun preserve, amongst other things. He had a variety of Gov't surplus Carbine parts that were stored in the attic after the house was built. I was about 5 when he brought the box down to look for something & he was rather unhappy to fing everything, not divided by wax paper, very stuck together!

That's good to know about the head & I was wondering what the bushings are for. I think I'm going to locate a Super H block to scavenge the right parts from, if I can't find original parts. Should have plenty of time. Between a 460 & a 806, I'm going to upgrade to one of them fancy combined mower-conditioner things. May even look at one without a sickle.

Thanks for the info,
Mike

After some searching on Case's website, I found a parts listing for just the C-175. It looks like the type that runs off the cam. It's a neat toy, but not something I need. I did a bit of research & found out they still make Cosmoline & something to remove it. If you say petroleum based, I bet kerosene would take it off.

Mike

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back