Super H engine

mschwartz

Started to work on a stage 1 super H of mine that I had bought with a stuck engine quire a few years back. Tearing into it it will require a full rebuild. The original engine is a C-164, I have a c-169 or C-175 engine out of a 300 or 350 utility tractor. This engine was supposed to be good. I am wondering if there is anything different other than the front timing cove? When did the H or super H engines get improved timing gears to run a live hydraulic pump? Thanks for your help, just looking at options to put it back together as cheaply as possible, Mike

The SH will have the heavier gears.So will the 169/175. Dont know about the timing cover issue. But I just assumed it was the 'same'.

Utility engines used 1/2 inch mounting bolts in cover for mounting of front axle support. Should be able to enlarge the holes needed in the row crop cover and use the appropriate length bolts. Utility crank pulley TDC timing mark will not match the row crop cover. Remark pulley or if using the SH pulley use the SH coolant pump. Even though the same belt size is used it will be the wrong length if pulleys on crank and coolant pump are mismatched. If utility engines have the downturn exhaust manifolds the SH will work. Get a little more power with the 300 or 350 carb. Complete C-169 or 175 with head and valve cover, run line from valve cover to air cleaner intake to take place of one at back of SH head. Can be PCV hose. Last design cam gear made by IH started on C-169 engine serial 17733. It would be close to that number on a Utility. Only difference between SH and lower C-169 numbers is the center bore was made to fit camshaft tighter. Casting number on gear will end in DA or DB for later.

Thanks, I knew that was the case for the Ms but started
second guessing myself about the Hs since the live
hydraulics are the only major difference between my stage
one and stage two tractors. Thanks again, Mike

Ok so if I understand this correctly the utility front timing
cover is held on to the block with 1/2 inch bolts vs maybe
7/16 on the Farmall super H front cover? I will just plan to
use the Farmall crank pulley and water pump. Probably not
put live hydraulic pump on as the tractor is pretty original
currently. Thanks. Mike

Six bolts are 1/2 inch and others 3/8 like the SH. Seem to remember making a next size smaller bolt head on the 1/2 inch bolts for some spots and maybe grinding just a little on cover for a socket to clear. Could use splined or allen head bolts if needed. make sure not to put a bolt to long in lower block side of ignition drive housing or hydraulic pump if used. long bolt will contact camshaft gear. Good luck.

I have put a few Utility engines in Farmalls. the front cover and block does have 1/2 holes and threads
The first one I used allen socket cap screws which is fine
after that I use thread inserts which are similar to heli coil repairs

. They are available in 3/8- 16 internal to 1/2 -13 external thread so you can use the original hardware and keep it looking original I just looked up one with those dimensions. I forget what length I used

https://www.fastenal.ca/sku/0185963?query=thread+serts

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back