D17 Series 4 Rear Hydraulic Cylinders and Hoses

RTR

Does anyone know how this vent is serviced? I have my cylinders taken apart and will be getting the seals from a local hydraulic shop. I've seen online that there are a few pieces available to service these vents but I don't know anything about them and don't want to break anything.
mvphoto102242.jpg

[/br]
[/br]
Next question is about the rear lift cylinder hydraulic lines pictured. We attempted to remove the rubber portion of the line, but we couldn't get it to budge, so I'm thinking that they are one piece as a hard and rubber line. Since my rubber line is complete bad on both lines; what is the best way to fix them while keeping the factory setup with the hard line? I know a hose shop can make new rubber hoses to cover the right length, but the hard lines will fit better.

mvphoto102243.jpg

In 50 years of servicing those cylinders, I have never done anything to a breather. Wash it out with brake kleen and air dry. My hyd hose shop would cut the steel tube off as close to your old hose as possible, make a new hose an inch or so longer with a nut and steel farrel to slide onto the steel tube and thread onto crush into the end of the hose they just made. Some sort of a splice type hose end and they work very well.

Ok. That sounds promising. I do have rather "bad" news. After washing the cylinder barrels out and inspecting them closer I think that one of them is junk. Do you think it could be honed out and be ok?

mvphoto102263.jpg

mvphoto102264.jpg

mvphoto102265.jpg

Doesn't look very good. I've never seen one that bad, but I haven't resealed one in 20 years either, so everything is now 20 years older. I'm sure if you reseal it, things will be better than they were. If you intend on using the lift arms regularly to make use of an implement, not sure I'd risk it. If you're just trying to keep it from leaking, it might be good for that.

(quoted from post at 05:57:02 02/08/23) Doesn't look very good. I've never seen one that bad, but I haven't resealed one in 20 years either, so everything is now 20 years older. I'm sure if you reseal it, things will be better than they were. If you intend on using the lift arms regularly to make use of an implement, not sure I'd risk it. If you're just trying to keep it from leaking, it might be good for that.
doing it all myself so after parts ? It ll cost me about $100 for doing the 2 cylinders?? Wanting the fix the tractor up for use but it will be LITE use.

After thinking about it for a few days, I think I'm going to look around for another used cylinder in better shape. Gotta have some other parts for it too, so have been tossing the idea around of finding a complete parts tractor; BUT since I don't plan on doing another D-17 and really want to have parts laying around, I might just buy what I need from someone.

Used Parts Needed so Far:
* Front Radiator Casting/Bolster with good bolt hole ears
* (1) Rear Lift Hydraulic Cylinder
* (2) Rear Spin-out Rims with the Centers (to replace combine wheels)
* Side Panels that go under fuel tank
mvphoto102309.jpg

This post was edited by RTR on 02/09/2023 at 05:50 am.

As far as that hydraulic cylinder goes, the same part is used on 170-175-180-185-190-190XT tractors. There are TWO styles of cylinders, so just make sure it looks like yours. The other design is the chrome rod is a much larger diameter than yours is.

(quoted from post at 00:39:28 02/10/23) As far as that hydraulic cylinder goes, the same part is used on 170-175-180-185-190-190XT tractors. There are TWO styles of cylinders, so just make sure it looks like yours. The other design is the chrome rod is a much larger diameter than yours is.
Any chance you know the diameter of either one??

(quoted from post at 13:29:54 02/09/23)
(quoted from post at 00:39:28 02/10/23) As far as that hydraulic cylinder goes, the same part is used on 170-175-180-185-190-190XT tractors. There are TWO styles of cylinders, so just make sure it looks like yours. The other design is the chrome rod is a much larger diameter than yours is.
Measure your ROD diameter and you want one just like it !! The other style isn't anywhere close to the same diameter rod. The barrels are the same diameter.

(quoted from post at 04:53:02 02/10/23)
(quoted from post at 13:29:54 02/09/23)
Measure your ROD diameter and you want one just like it !! The other style isn't anywhere close to the same diameter rod. The barrels are the same diameter.

Ok. Thank you. I think I saw the other style on eBay. The rod looked close to the same diameter as the barrel on it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back