DC-3 clutch update

Jimmydog

Thank you to all who replied to my first post! I really wasn't expecting so many people to respond with suggestions and words of encouragement, and so quickly too. I held off making any replies until I had some new information to add, so here's where I'm at now:

Hooray! I finally found the detent pin for the clutch adjusting collar. I will now relate how I did so for the benefit of anybody who may find themselves in a similar situation. I took a magnet and went fishing in the bottom of the clutch case. It couldn't be easier! Found a missing retention spring also that I noticed wasn't where it was supposed to be. I did not however find the detent pin spring. I fear it might have migrated to the bottom of the crank case proper. I guess I'm going to have to go fishing again. The thing I'm wondering is if there's supposed to be some kind of retainer clip or is the pin merely trapped in by the collar? The pin has a good deal of pitting on the outer diameter and a fairly good size dent in the part that engages the yoke. I'm not sure if I will reuse it or turn a new one. The adjusting yoke/collar still does not move. I tried pounding on it gently with a hammer and long bolt, but no luck. I hope it's just jammed up against the end of it's normal travel and not friction welded to the other piece. I think I'll apply that tried and true practice of employing a bigger hammer. Another thing I should note is the clutch doesn't resemble the picture in the owners manual. It shows holes in the collar whereas mine has a scalloped outer ring of semi circles to engage the pin. Some body mentioned needing a serial number to ascertain just what clutch it has, so here it is: 5527579D3. I'm not clear on how the pin came loose, I suspect that the collar was adjusted out far enough that the pin was sticking out too far to stay seated. If that's the case then I'm thinking the friction disc is excessively worn, and a split is unavoidable. In any event, working on the tractor is something I do on an intermittent schedule. That and the fact my shop has one of those Warm-as-Nature brand furnaces means that my future posts are likely to come in a hurchy lurchy fashion, especially during the cold weather (9F degrees here this morning). Well there you have it, you folks are updated. Again thanks for the help. JD

Here are a couple of pics from my parts book.
a211143.jpg

a211144.jpg

Thanks a bunch! That's more like the one I'm dealing with. So the pin IS just trapped in by the adjuster ring. Hope there isn't a narfed up spot on the ring. Again thanks.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back