Deere 4430 Hydraulic Problem

Nalley

New User
Ive got a 76 4430 I recently bought. I hooked my baler up to it to make sure everything worked. Ive already hooked up my batwing and used it a bit. Hooked up my rake as well. Everything works. Ive got a Deere 458 baler and as you all know on the Deere 4x5s the gate shuts and then the tension arm lowers down to tighten the belts unlike a 4x6. So basically it raises the gate and its strong but when I close it towards the end when its about to close shut it slows down and the tension arm takes 7-8 sometimes 9 seconds to lower down. I reversed the hoses and it does the same thing. Tried remote #2 and it didnt help. Reversed the hoses on that one too. Didnt help. I checked the screw where you change it from single acting cylinder and double acting. It was all the way in when I checked it. Not really sure what to do. Ive been told its the stroke control valve. Im having a hard time believing that but maybe it is. I messaged the previous owner and he said it did the same thing on his 558 so I know its not the baler. Id just like to hear some others talk on this. Thanks

Change hydraulic filter and clean the sump screen and note what (if anything) is on the filter and the screen, unless you have proof this has been recently been done. If lots of metal or brake debris in the screen you have other issues to deal with first.

Install fresh hydraulic oil, genuine Hy-gard (or a reputable equivalent) unless you know for SURE there was good oil in the tractor.

At that point, if no improvement, he FIRST things to do are to invest in a FACTORY service manual and a decent hydraulic pressure gauge capable of reading 3500 or 4000 psi.

The FACTORY manual will walk you through the procedure of finding the exact issue (which MAY be as simple as setting up the standby pressure.)

Welcome to YT
Is hyd flow control valve above breakaway coupler set on the "rabbit symbol"? Next I would remove 1 or both restrictor orifices(keys 20 & 29) on baler hyd hoses to see if that helped increase the tension arm speed.

mvphoto66798.png

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back