Deere #5 sickle mower?

MikeandKeri

From reading many of the posts here, I believe I have a JD Number 5 sickle mower. It has the mount to go on the John Deere M, although the two clamps are both broken. It is missing the front section of the yoke and its guard. A broken weld and needs an inner tube 😂. I’m sure I’ve not identified everything missing yet but once I get the parts or service manual I’ll rectify that.

Attachments

• IMG_5535.jpeg
    IMG_5535.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5534.jpeg
    IMG_5534.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5533.jpeg
    IMG_5533.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5532.jpeg
    IMG_5532.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5531.jpeg
    IMG_5531.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5530.jpeg
    IMG_5530.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5529.jpeg
    IMG_5529.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5528.jpeg
    IMG_5528.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5527.jpeg
    IMG_5527.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5526.jpeg
    IMG_5526.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 33
From reading many of the posts here, I believe I have a JD Number 5 sickle mower. It has the mount to go on the John Deere M, although the two clamps are both broken. It is missing the front section of the yoke and its guard. A broken weld and needs an inner tube 😂. I’m sure I’ve not identified everything missing yet but once I get the parts or service manual I’ll rectify that.
Parts lookup is at FREE @ https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/.

Operator's Manual can be DOWNLOADED for FREE @ https://techpubs.deere.com/en-US/Search/Equipment.

Definitely a #5. I cut hay for many years with a couple different 5's and then cut Township roadsides for many years with them after I bought a Haybine. Looking at your pictures I would be looking for parts machines or try and source used parts for some stuff. Deere had alot of parts available while I was still running them but they were getting expensive. properly set up with good cutting part they are a great sickle mower. Good thing about is they were very popular at least where I am, so finding parts shouldn't be too tough.

Definitely a #5. I cut hay for many years with a couple different 5's and then cut Township roadsides for many years with them after I bought a Haybine. Looking at your pictures I would be looking for parts machines or try and source used parts for some stuff. Deere had alot of parts available while I was still running them but they were getting expensive. properly set up with good cutting part they are a great sickle mower. Good thing about is they were very popular at least where I am, so finding parts shouldn't be too tough.
I have on I used on several different tractors. If the hookup is for an M or MT it is narrower than used on the standard JD quick hitch.

One of best mowers made. Wood pitman don't think availble. May have to carve your own. Best cutting bar was with long heavy duty guards. Will cut fine prairie hay where nothing else will.

One of best mowers made. Wood pitman don't think availble. May have to carve your own. Best cutting bar was with long heavy duty guards. Will cut fine prairie hay where nothing else will.
There were some older versions used, but the most common pitman stick for a #5, part #Z9298H is still readily available at the DEERE dealer.

There were some older versions used, but the most common pitman stick for a #5, part #Z9298H is still readily available at the DEERE dealer.
Father in law was making his own out of hardwood due to being not available. Several years ago.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back