Definitely a bad thing. Opinions plz..

Been an interesting 2 weeks. Trying to get my iddy bitty farm turned so can plant. Get the feeling that will happen when needs to, and not one second before that.

3 weeks trying to get my bush hog repaired and finally did. Yo-yo that did excellent welding job on top plate of my 5 footer with a now stainless steel deck (Florida sand is beyond brutal on hogs, so this is well beyond worth the $250 it cost me) beat the crap out of the shaft so was darned near impossible to get nut off to sharpen blades (stump jumper of course). Out of round and stripped threads were minor after all said and done. Dashing out to farm for three hours at time to get silly thing unlocked from key for 3 out of 7 day weeks made me feel stupid enough. Two swings by me and neighbor of 6 pound hammer in right place and poof, off she came, Finally!! TYGawd!!! 2 more days tracking down right replacement nut with right threads and fun just started. Dragged out 'hawg to neighbors to get grindin on shaft so new nut would go on was fun enough. After two days of triangle filing and no luck getting the right sized nut on, not even single thread to get started, gave up and took off diffy box and pto shaft, and ran over to my car mechanic extroidinaire. Dude has tools that haven't seen light since before I was born, and I ain't no spring chicken with these gray hairs on my chin already, got it done with just a thread file and air wrench pineapple. Sure, after I do all the hard stuff, yeah. Now I know what I want for Christmas... his tool box! Rounded down the high spots, got nut to grab. Wrenched partially for few turns up and back, got her grabbin and broke out the 1/2" impact deep. up and down and off few times and and... well you get it.

Have a donated 240v air compressor when I want to get it. Am thinkin harder and harder about getting that power pole out there right about now. Tire change coming, clutch before too long, yep. Power pole.

So get the Hawg hooked back up and get out to help wifey trimming stuff around fence lines, and finish getting rest of crap mowed so prep done for plowing. Nope.

Blew lower water hose. And blew straight into fan.

First 80+ day in 4 months. Smellin it all like antifreeze for next few days. Come to think of it, still can't smell properly now. Pollen schmollen. Blaming the 'freeze!

Patience. Michael, patience.

3 trips back and forth and full day tripping back and forth to farm and town to get right ones. No luck. Wait, What??!!??

Yep. OEM hoses were middle choice due to price. Lower was all of $7 (A&I from New Holland dealer, go figure), upper $23. Do what?? Didn't ask for silver plated version??!!?? last of OEM. rest were aftermarket. Ok, so I get last shaft. can deal with that, because I wan't now, and not wait for order. $10 for shipping and price is same realistically, this time. took it it back to farm and neither hose fit. Whaaaaa?????

Top hose tooo short. your'e kidding right? NOPE. Tried twice. Didn't have turned wrong, tried them all. Ask me about computational mathematics and analytic geometry, that I have tons of experience at. Still no go. Euclid's head would have burst on this particular day (math joke). Ok, Nate said they had 2 lengths, maybe just wrong label. Happens. Lower hose time.

Pttttttthhhh. Would you believe would not fit over either neck. Size too small. Now, about this time, almost getting dark, am thinking, what the hack in a handbasket???? Then it dawned on me from here on the forum. Aftermarket radiator!!! hmmmm. On a whim, tried lower hose again, except wouldn't fit on block neck either. Well. Ok. If one hose not labeled correctly from same place, why not. Maybe rookie got whole batch wrong. Stuff (insert favorite adjective instead here) Happens. Ok, last option and getting dark. Off I go and spend hour and half in local Autozone hose aisle in back. My man Brian just looked at me and said "for what?", Ford tractor. Here ya go, help yourself, here is the the hook thingy and a tape measure. Holler if need anything. Took a bit but after 6 peoples opinions, agreeing with my assessment that what found would probably work, went with it. Tired, 15 minutes before closing, but felt like I got this, finally.

Next morning came, and me and wifey back out there. Sit, look, and plan attack over morning coffee. Feeling better and better and dive in. Standing in weird position between loader and rad, Wifey strolls up to see the goings on. Something in me had me going check again. Little voices in my head kinda skeeer me when start making tooo much sense, ya know. "Honey, can you hand me those other hoses from NH?". Right on perfect fit first time. NO F" WAY!!!!!!!!!

Seriously!?!?!?!?

Yep, Dealer actually got one right. Almost fainted there on spot, probably from not enough coffee, but that besides the point. Dance little irish jiggy in near impossible space between loader and engine!! WOOOHOOO.

New thermostat and cleaned housing, prep gasket etc. All great. Not a single drip from anywhere! Back in business, hoss!

Off to go push around trimmed up branches etc and test out lines mildly before plowing. YAY!!!!

Yeah, it happened.

3 point.

Down she went with bush hog. Never to return up. At least not yet. Still trying to stay positive.

Checked all the fluids, I thought, other day when blew rad hose. All good and grease day next week so what the Hades?

Knew this tractor was going to have issues here and there, it is named after my wife, after all. All good. Thought would do 3-point when had to do split for clutch as much later as possible. Hoping, praying, fingers, toes and whatever else could cross praying it would hold off.

Morning routine, start tractor, go have coffee with wife. usually 3 point up by then. Last few times, not so fast. Few times lately was shut tractor down and rest for few. Then on restart would lift back up after dropping overnight (or last few days of not being out there).

Got me thinking, rereading many posts until crossed eyed (now 4 a.m. and nearly there) until can't read anymore. Filter, maybe but too warm for frozen water type issue. Hey, did the blonde Pollack really check diffy/hydro fluid? Added another gallon just to be triple sure today. Nope, over overfill plug and still nothing.

Really not a good thing. On another thread with Sound, he suggested checking few things, similar to threads read back through on 3 points. Ok, always go simple up.

Fluid, check. It's there, made sure. Not it.

Pump prime next on list. K wasn't 100% sure on this one, but here goes pic.....
3Point023.jpg

FO-31 described this as the pressure check plug. It is backed out to the point where almost falls out. Yes the engine is running at 1800 rpms when this was shot. Took four minutes and three shots to get the bead of fluid that came out at right time. Thats it. Four minutes and 3 drops.

Definitely a bad thing, just guessing. Maybe this other shot from annoying leak onto exhaust pipe from pump more in need of my attention....
3Point011.jpg

Thia little annoying bugger has been smoking my exhaust for few weeks now. Trying to hold off until cant get a down day to unhook exhaust from manifold to get at it and tighten back up.

Think am there right about now.

Morning will be getting Hog unhooked the hard way. Have $12 kit in hand for lift cover. May have to see about pump rebuilt also. Thinking.

Need uber brains input in direction on this one. Might as well take the time to do the 3 point, since always has been quirky. And yes have the filter in hand too. Just need to know how to check pump prime etc. before full tear apart on hydro system, in case mess something up there.

Thank you all for the sharing of all your hard work and experience so far. It is the main reason am not in some weird panic mode right now. Any other sharing would be most appreciated.

Single spool "quick drop" valve with detents, for double acting cylinder, can operate single acting cylinder by backing out screw on front of valve body.
HTH, Dave
Edit: Your picture #5 of 21 shows the screw that you would back out. It's the slotted screw to the left or lower on the valve. It appears to be backed out at present. that would be for single acting or "float" (cylinder can float when valve is in neutral). screwed in would be for double acting, and will hold position when in "neutral".
Understand that I'm operating on memory here, and it's been 20 years or so since I had a tractor with one of those valves!
Brother has that same valve on his 5000, except his is double spool and had the detents removed for loader operation!
Edit #2: Ooops! I should have said that cylinder can float when screw is backed out and valve is in "lower/drop" position! Sorry 'bout that!

Thanks for the info Shet! Appreciate it.

Was thinking along lines of puttting hydraulic top link on at some point down the road. Few local opinions I have a tad less confidence in seem to think should work fine. Heck I been trying to figure out the specs and differences.

Thx Shaun. both square heads are in that particular pic. All the levels had been checked week before. Added another gallon just for giggles before starting prime check as per Sound. Pic of drip was at 1800rpm's with pressure plug almost falling out. Checked remotes and prime today. No go at either.

Appreciate the input very much.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back