Wazmer

New User
I recently picked up a Deutz 8006. Had been sitting a while and seems pretty worn but runs good. It puts out quite a bit of smoke, however. I am relatively new to Deutz and old tractors in general, but I really like the design of this one. Its kind of fun to work on. I changed the oil, the air cooling area was full of crap, air filter bad and a lot of crap in the intake. I pulled the fuel tank and am getting it lined. I am wondering if anyone here has experience and if itd be worth it to do a partial rebuild while I have it apart. Id also like to replace the muffler with a straight pipe, it has a cracked weld and I suspect it is very dirty as well. It also is not tall enough to keep fumes out of your face. If anyone can suggest a good place to buy air filters and/or straight pipe exhaust, Id appreciate it.

I worked on a number of 912 series engines back when they were legal to operate. They're a bit unconventional in design, but overall a darn good motor in
my opinion. I was told back then (with proper maintenance) the expected life of the top end was good for ten thousand hours, the bottom end good for twenty
thousand. I don't know how accurate that was but I never saw a bottom end failure. Top end failures were almost always the result of neglect somewhere.
I recall doing a number of top end overhauls back then and all were a result of neglect.

If you're serious about going into it, I'd be happy to discuss it with you and maybe explain some of the tricks and special tools involved.

Thatd be great. I am moving forward with getting it to optimal mechanical condition assuming it doesnt cost a fortune. Id love to discuss it and I can send pictures etc.

I don't know what happened but it seems the Email box (mine was always open) has somehow been changed to no Email. I'd like to open that back up if I
can figure out how to do it. I will work on that.

I'd like to know more about the condition of the engine that prompts you to think it needs work done.

Mostly because it was smoking very bad at times. I realize that there are many variables that could cause that but since I am working on it and have it somewhat apart, Id rather work on the engine now rather than later. I suspect it has been neglected. The hour meter does not work but I also suspect it could be in that 10000 hr range.

Also, in the photo, I noticed 1 tube is suspiciously oily while the others are not

I'm not sure what you mean by 1 tube. I strongly recommend you don't take too much apart regarding cylinder heads or barrels until you know how to put it
back together. Manifolds, tinware, fan, oil cooler etc, that stuff is all nuts and bolts. The heads and barrels are another matter. It's simple enough once
you understand it, but you need to know what to look for, and the sequence to follow. Assembling the top end comes with a few tricks. A service manual is
definitely worth the investment, particularly if you've never been into that portion of one.

I cant figure out how to send photos on here. If youd like to communicate via email or text or another means, Id be happy to do it.

I am definitely not just going to tear into it. Thats why Im trying to get information. If nothing is needed to be done, then Im happy just doing as little as possible. Right now, Im trying to learn how to tell if something is wrong.
I have a friend that works owns a hydraulic and machine shop, so I have access to specialty tools if needed. He does a lot of work on old tractors, but no experience with Deutz

Click on the send Email box. We can communicate one on one that way, and send whatever without restrictions. My Email is open all the time, but I get no
notices of posts here. Much harder to track.

Firewalls, ad blockers and anti-virus software can sometimes block you from accessing some things. They should tell you when they are blocking you, but not all do. Try temporarily loosening some of those settings.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back