Dewalt battery

bfullmer

Bought a 12 amp hour flex volt 60- 20 battery it would not take a charge got a new replacement one - is there anyone who repairs these ? Dewalt didnt want old one back ?

Any battery shop will rebuild them. You can do it yourself if you want, it's not terribly difficult.

I'd bet the cells themselves are good but the electronics that control charge and the 60/20v feature is bad. I don't know of any rebuilders for that specific battery yet. Might just do an internet search and send a bunch of email queries. Ya never know.

bfullmer,

Take a voltage reading of the old battery, and see if there is some voltage. You can try using the good battery to salvage the old one.

Connect the positives pack to pack, the connect the negative on the good pack. Hook up a volt meter to the bad pack. While monitoring the meter voltage, touch the other jumper to the bad pack for a few seconds and remove it. If the voltage has come up some, try aging and see if it keeps coming up.

Put the pack on charge and see if it starts charging. You may have to connect the negative a few times until the [ack starts to charge. OfCourse if no voltage increase is notices , then there is a problem in the pack itself.

Who knows, you might get lucky.

Guido.

Ignore what I said, I glossed over the part about it being a variable votage battery.

I used 2 Li chargers, 4.2v, and brought my Dewalt battery back to health. You have to charge each pair of cells separately. The battery voltage was 18 volts and the dewalt charger would charge it.
It took a day, but I was able to bring the 20v battery back to health, full charge 21 volts.
cvphoto162709.jpg

I don't know anyone who repairs them.
I think the risk of a fire may be why.

Many Yters ask if anyone repairs them, so post back if you find someone.

If you make it to Terre Haute, I'll be glad to share with you how I reconditioned my batteries.

The post office isn't excited about shipping Li batteries.

I have seen on U-tube how some have jumped their batteries with another battery to bring the dead battery's voltage up enough to charge again.

Just like a 12v smart charger won't charge a dead battery, Li battery chargers won't work on a battery below a certain voltage. So never stop using a battery when it's completely dead.

Try jumping the dead battery with a good battery.
+ to + and - to -. Post back with your results.

George wrote : I have seen on U-tube how some have jumped their batteries with another battery to bring the dead battery's voltage up enough to charge again.

Did that the other day, it worked.
Was a 1.5 AH Milwaukee battery I was using in a Dewalt pruner with an adapter. Had left the battery installed, it was dead. Something in the adapter? Waiting to see if it goes dead just sitting on the bench, then I'll know.

Anyway, jumped it, it worked. Only jumped it a couple minutes (Youtube said to leave it 5 minutes).
The dead battery showed 2 out of 4 charge indicator lights when I got done with the jumper. But got warm enough the charger refused to charge it until it cooled off some.

So I think if I ever need to do this again, I'd only jump the batteries for maybe 20 seconds, see if the charger will work. If not, repeat as needed.

Fred

Good to know. Thanks for sharing
I've never jumped a dead battery before.
I just slow charge cells separately to full charge. Take hours per cell.

I tried jumping it to another good battery yes I had positive to pos an negative to neg the wire arced and started to melt my finger so I think maybe a short in new battery ??

So you think it s fun to use a generator and a 50 ft cord on a metal shed. Or use an electrical drill or saw in wet conditions?

I used an 18 volt and jumped it to a 40 volt as described on a u-tube. Was able to get enough charge the charger fully charged it. Still working after 1 yr.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back