Did the baler work?

Just got in on this hot and humid day from using the 14T for the first time. First time ever using any kind of baler. Got all the hay put on the wagon and need to move the horse trailer out of the barn, and the new hay on the wagon in, before it rains. Don't know if I'll be able to back that wagon though. Going to try.
Sooo, the baler actually put grass into itself and compressed it and made very nice, tight, uniform bales. At the same time, it didn't make any bales! Most times, the strand going over the top of the bale tied a nice knot and the other end was just loose and untied. Also, the right one sometimes had a knot left on the bill hook and sometimes there were more than one strand coming from the knotter area, going out over the bale. There were 2 inch cut straight pieces of twine just sitting there below the knotter area on the left. The manual suggests things to check and adjust, so I'll do that next. I adjusted the needles and that's about all I did in the knotter area so far. Was hoping it was already to go, but it's not! I haven't checked or adjusted the tucker fingers or the dogs yet. Maybe it is one of those two. Or twine disk holder spring may be too tight. I just wanted to see what it did for the whole field. I know sometimes the first few aren't so nice. They were all duds as far as tying, but I have really nice flakes of hay. Serious, that hay is the best I've seen. Ecited to adjust the baler and get it tying right, and bale the rest of that pasture. I only did about 15% of it. Not too much harder loading flakes of hay than bales. I learned that I will not be able to double up windrows. Small, single wide rake pass only. I had to get out a few times and back up the plunger and take out some grass today because it loaded too much for it to handle and couldn't compress enough for arm to make the cycle.
So what am I going to do with a whole wagon load of hay flakes? I don't know either! If it was winter they'd get used up fast, but not now. After the rains, I could put some back out to test the baler again after it's adjusted, before I cut more grass and take a chance.

Thanks for the report, sounds like the baler is trying--it's just the tying part that needs help. Sorry I have nothing in the way of advice there.

For the flakes, I'd give some to the ponies right away, see how they like it. If they're happy with the hay, then you were successful in producing some food for them. If they leave it alone, probably means they're just not in the mood or want to look it over some more.

Can you store some in an empty stall, maybe put some chicken wire around, pile the flakes in there? As long as it's under cover I'm sure it'll be fine. You'll be handling it all yourself so you'll know if any critters or contamination got into it. I'm sure someone here can help with troubleshooting the baler. From the terminology you tossed around, sounds pretty technical and specialized. Good thing you have the manuals!

The problem that you are having can be caused by either the tucker fingers or the dogs. I have experienced both. The tucker fingers are the most common cause of problems with all of the JDs. Your 14T should take a good heavy windrow. The two likely causes of the need to pull hay out are: too much clearance between the two knives, and running too slow. Slow running speed is a common newbie error, and in addition to poor packing it can result in a lot of breakage. The flywheel is there to store energy between strokes of the plungerhead. Lack of energy in the flywheel causes parts to be pushed by brute bending force.

Yes, it is trying to work! I'm just so happy that all the parts moved and turned and worked together! I'm thankful it did as good as it did. I had images of total disaster. Hopefully I can figure out the tying without too much trouble. I worked on it all day yesterday. Took longer than expected. COuldn't wait to get it out in the field, so at dark, I took it out and was able to see that it was picking up grass and shut it off, so then I felt like I accomplished something and could sleep.
I couldn't back that big wagon into the barn. It has a tongue that goes all directions and won't back without folding. I don't know, I'm planning on tarping it for now? My horses don't have stalls, so can't put it in one of those. They are always free to come and go and the space they have in the barn is one big space they share. I gave them each one flake and they all ate it right up, even though I think they weren't hungry. Smells so good!
I had the small animals out with me early this morning when I was looking things over before I turned any machine on. Wouldn't you guess, Chuck first jumps in the baler, then lays under it, then hides in a windrow of grass reaady to be taken up and baled. SO dangerous!

Backing a loaded wagon can be a handful if you don't have much experience :-(
Does either of your tractors have a hitch on the front? Pushing a wagon is a whole lot easier than backing. Just a thought, hope you get the baler tying soon!

On a lot of the older balers you need to run more rpm's, my 69 new Holland recommends 60 to 67 strokes per minute, much slower than that it miss ties.

I would strongly consider buying a manual for it - most likely Binder Books has one. Things wear and need adjustment and the only way to do is is owning a manual and spending some time understanding how
everything works. The only reason I keep my IH 46 tying is because I have the manual.

(quoted from post at 17:06:39 08/02/19) I would strongly consider buying a manual for it - most likely Binder Books has one. Things wear and need adjustment and the only way to do is is owning a manual and spending some time understanding how
everything works. The only reason I keep my IH 46 tying is because I have the manual.

She has manuals for all her equipment.

I always try a baler with no material in chamber. Tying the twine to the rear a good long ways,
using a spring to hold them or a rubber tie down works good. Then I turn the flywheel by hand,
tripping bale length device, watching where needles enter chamber, just behind tips of plunger,
watch needles over the top of disc, how far they travel before reversing, watching the tucker
fingers bring twine to bill hook, twine knife cutting , whatjamcallit, stripping knot from bill
hook and any other things I forgot to mention.

This will get you in the ball park to start making adjustments during actual baling. Twine
tension and don't over look compaction of the bale. That top twine has to slide, move between the
bale on every stroke and a extremely dense bale makes it tough for twine disc to maintain a good
hold on twine once it starts to move.

I am so glad I don't have to work on balers any more. Haven't touched one for maybe 25 years and
they were the IH ones with a different knotter than you have.

And, correct stroke speed is important. 6o is a good number of strokes per minute. Never liked
the idea of advertised 75 on newer balers. Lot of slam bang.

Spent very little time around a 14T but remember 540 pto speed is necessary when baling , don't idle down tractor and make sure it is running that speed when baling not
just running empty baler, no rust on knotter parts. I watched a man with abrasive cloth and penetrating oil spend 1/2 a day cleaning one that he bought out of a fence row
that was parked when a big round was purchased by farmer, much cleaning and a few minor adjustments before it tied right. If I remember right these take a special bolt for
the shear bolt in the fly wheel. They look like a 1/4 inch bolt but are like 9/32 thru shank portion and machined down for 1/4 inch nut and made of a special alloy, I
suggest getting several from mother Deere. My memories only, no warrantee on my statements

My wife and I sure enjoy following
your story! You are really good at
telling it! More pictures are
always good. Hopefully that baler
will be working for you tomorrow!

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. I read them all more than once. Too many to reply to individually. I'll keep in mind everything you've mentioned.
Since I didn't get the wagon in the barn, I put the baler in there. Now I can work on it in the shade tomorrow, or out of the rain, whichever.
Every single implement I buy and use, is a first for me. I always buy the manuals for all of them right away or else I would be lost. Wouldn't be able to do any of this. But I can only take in so much info in a day. I will read a manual and it is all so foreign, nothing really sinks in. I just get a rough idea. Things become clear after I'm working on it or mostly when I'm using it. All of these names for pieces and parts and what they do and where they are and how to get to them and all these tools needed and the sequence of doing things and understanding what affects what... and on and on... That's why sometimes I just try things out to see where they are. Like yesterday, I had worked all day on other parts of this old rusty baler and had to time it again and make sure needle was right and all these things, and it was getting dark and had to get this grass off the field today, so just tried it as far as I had gotten. If I would've stopped today when I saw it wasn't tying right, I would've had info overload and probably not got done those things that needed adjusting and missed my goal of getting the grass off the field. Know what I mean? I just sat on the ground and stared at the clouds tonight and cleared my head and took a much needed shower and will start fresh and not overwhelmed tomorrow , thanks to not trying to hurry and follow the manual and try to adjust everything in the hot sunny field (where my tools aren't), the parts that need adjusting. That would've been too much for today.

Nice. Now my nice neighbors are shooting and yelling and doing fireworks. So much for rest. Glad i have such nice neighbors

I hope you save the stuff you've been
writing. I think it would make a
interesting book! Just do every step in the
manual and you'll get it working.

When I was about 16, I was working for a local guy on a hay crew. A nasty black sky was headed our way, and we were running from bale to bale, trying to get them on the wagon ahead of the storm. It was the last load, and as he pulled into the barnyard, it started sprinkling. He jumped off of the tractor and told me to back it into the barn. I had NEVER been able to back a loaded four wheeled hay wagon, but I got in the seat and backed it right in on the first try, with a strange tractor and the help of the Lord above. (No other explanation) I immediately became the local hero at backing a four wheeled wagon. Now I'm 70 years old, and I still have the occasional person mention that I'm labeled as the BEST four wheeled wagon backer in the community. A legend in my time. I've actually had people ask me to teach them how to back a four wheeled farm wagon.

I've never been able to back another wagon successfully, so I just smile and let the subject drop. How long can this charade go on?

"Like yesterday, I had worked all day on other parts of this old rusty baler and had to time it again and make sure needle was right "

The set-up and adjustment pages in your manual are in a good order to follow for getting it to work properly. Now that you have some familiarity with it, and have seen how one adjustment can change another, it is time to follow the manual step by step, and get it set to actually bale. More often than not a baler that doesn't tie results in good hay being turned into mulch.

I would say keep it going, you're doing something right!
The only way we didn't put a wagon in a barn was sideways so we all had to learn that skill :)
Thanks for the story!

There is a piece of metal that sticks up into the bale chamber when the needles are up into the chamber. Make sure that is working. If it isn"t and the needles get stuck while up the plunger will wreck them. When that metal is up the plunger will hit it and break the flywheel shear bolt, avoiding damage.

I had the small animals out with me early this morning when I was looking things over before I turned any machine on. Wouldn't you guess, Chuck first jumps in the baler, then lays under it, then hides in a windrow of grass reaady to be taken up and baled. SO dangerous!

I think it is something that is pre-programmed into cats: Find out how to be the biggest nuisance then do that thing. It it involves putting their lives at risk, even better! Friend's cat in Iceland, big Norwegian Forest cat, would lie in the MIDDLE OF THE ROAD, daring cars to run it over. Next to busy supermarket. Cars would slow, go around. Cat didn't care. Lucky to have lived 2 days with that idiotic behavior. Only exception Ive seen is big LB the orange cat--will lie on my desk looking at what I'm doing, instead of sitting down directly on top of my work like most cats. He does walk across the keyboard on my laptop, however, making some interesting edits to whatever I'm writing.

For your neighbors, sounds like they're related to mine. The closest ones are ok, but there's a house nearby where they were recently shooting off fireworks, some guns that sounded like they could take out a tank, not little pop guns. Nose bothered me a little, mostly LB who didn't like it.

Anyway, I agree with the others that your adventures would make a good book as I already enjoy reading them in non-book form, so you should think about keeping them together and organizing into a nice narrative. I'll bet a lot of people would want to read that.

Keep us posted on the baler,

Gerrit in Maryland

(quoted from post at 12:17:31 08/05/19)

I think it is something that is pre-programmed into cats: Find out how to be the biggest nuisance then do that thing. It it involves putting their lives at risk, even better! Friend's cat in Iceland, big Norwegian Forest cat, would lie in the MIDDLE OF THE ROAD, daring cars to run it over. Next to busy supermarket. Cars would slow, go around. Cat didn't care. Lucky to have lived 2 days with that idiotic behavior. Only exception Ive seen is big LB the orange cat--will lie on my desk looking at what I'm doing, instead of sitting down directly on top of my work like most cats. He does walk across the keyboard on my laptop, however, making some interesting edits to whatever I'm writing.

For your neighbors, sounds like they're related to mine. The closest ones are ok, but there's a house nearby where they were recently shooting off fireworks, some guns that sounded like they could take out a tank, not little pop guns. Nose bothered me a little, mostly LB who didn't like it.

Anyway, I agree with the others that your adventures would make a good book as I already enjoy reading them in non-book form, so you should think about keeping them together and organizing into a nice narrative. I'll bet a lot of people would want to read that.

Keep us posted on the baler,

Gerrit in Maryland
My computer is not working right today. Thanks for the nice replly. ok, I'll post later with update if I an.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back