Does my engine need overhauled?

Ihfarms75

New User
Hello I have a Farmall bn and after driving it within first 10 mins started getting this steam coming out of a pipe that is coming straight up out of valve cover. I checked the antifreeze level it was normal. What does this mean when this happens. And what should I replace to fix this issue runs great other wise.
mvphoto107468.png

The crankcase is connected to that cap. there is moisture in the crankcase (should not be). I would let it sit for a day or two, then loosen the drain plug in the bottom of the oil pan very carefully with your fingers in the last few threads. as the plug clears the last thread, watch to see if water or coolant comes out as the plug is teased away from the hole. If coolant, do not run the engine it will be destroyed by antifreeze in the oil. If water, continue to drain out the water as above into a pan until all the water is out and engine oil starts. If the cooling system is staying full after running for an hour or so, that is good, condensation could be causing the moisture present. If coolant, there are more tests to do before fixing. But if coolant, do not run it. Jim

check you oil and coolant make sure they are full. then put it to work like on a work out not driving it around. check your spark plugs first
clean and gap if needed then after the workout read them spark plugs to see what the engine is doing. plus a good idea to do a compression
check before and after. then you know what the next step will be , leave it alone or tear it down. and make sure u monitor the oil level
after the work out, checked with tractor level both times. looks to me like this unit sat around for a bit. i always get them tuned up
before their workout. if you got no implement for it, hook a load to it it will handle and use the highest gear u can pulling down the road
or cow pasture. such as a wagon load of something or drag grain truck around , basically needs a few hrs of hard work.

(quoted from post at 19:40:11 07/11/23) The crankcase is connected to that cap. there is moisture in the crankcase (should not be). I would let it sit for a day or two, then loosen the drain plug in the bottom of the oil pan very carefully with your fingers in the last few threads. as the plug clears the last thread, watch to see if water or coolant comes out as the plug is teased away from the hole. If coolant, do not run the engine it will be destroyed by antifreeze in the oil. If water, continue to drain out the water as above into a pan until all the water is out and engine oil starts. If the cooling system is staying full after running for an hour or so, that is good, condensation could be causing the moisture present. If coolant, there are more tests to do before fixing. But if coolant, do not run it. Jim

I will check out the oil after couple days but I did just check and the oil was little milky. How can you tell if it's coolant or water making the oil milky.

Hello IHfarms welcome to YT! Jim has told you how, let
it set a day or so and loosen the oil drain plug. If you
have antifreeze in it and provided it is green it will
show up as green drips when the plug is loosened.
Unfortunately, I am going to tell you right off that those
engines have wet sleeves. At this stage after they have
been together for so long they often times leak around
the orings that seal the sleeves to the block. The link is
the manufacturers online parts catalog for your tractor.
In the Engine section, go to subsection 015, Part 5 is
the oring. Just FYI you will find most of the parts for
this tractor are not available through the dealer. But
there are many aftermarket places to get parts like the
hosts of this forum YT.
CNHI Farmall BN online parts catalog

I would not run it even if the water drained out at the drain plug. I would check for the water/coolant like Jim said then if coolant/water is present if only a few drops I would change the oil and run it hard on a good load similar to plowing or heavy tillage work for a day and see if it stays clean if not then time for more deeper work on it.

As Janicholson posted you have moisture in your crankcase which should not be there, and you need to check what and how much by cracking the drain and catching what comes out. **** HOWEVER ****, since you have milky oil but you have told us very little history, there is a strong probability that since you have milky oil that the moisture is only what you put in there yourself through severe abuse in how you run it. Water is a product of combustion, and some of it gets into the oil. In normal operation any engine when run will soon come up to operating temperature, and any moisture in the oil will be vaporized and pushed out the vent, provide it is run for long enough at a high enough temperature. Getting a workout as Rustred posted. Have you been doing this? Or have you been running it for just short periods?

I will check out the oil after couple days but I did just check and the oil was little milky. How can you tell if it's coolant or water making the oil milky.

Does your tractor have coolant, as in green antifreeze mixed with water, in the radiator? Or is it just plain water?

The water you drain out of the bottom of the oil pan will be the color of the coolant in the radiator if it is coolant.

Judging by the level of rust on the hood in your picture that tractor has spent many many years outdoors. So, the water could simply be intrusion from rain over a long period of time.

When is the last time the oil was changed?

This post was edited by BarnyardEngineering on 07/12/2023 at 05:05 am.

If it has antifreeze in the radiator yaou
can tell if its coolant by taste. Dip the
tip of your finger in the oil then wipe it
off and touch your tongue to your finger.
Antifreeze is very sweet. If it bothers
you to do that you can locate a place that
does oil sampling and pay them to tell you
which it is.

U said steam coming out of valve cover, thats blowby not
steam. No word of water in oil and thats what I based my
answer on. It needs a good workout. And oil change if its
milky.

(quoted from post at 06:10:52 07/12/23) Is that a hole in the cap. It that is a fact then that is where the water comes from.

Yeah there sure is a hole there but it appears to be only in the paint not in the cap, LOL.

It shouldnt matter weather theres water or coolant in the radiator as far as the leak goes but one would assume antifreeze leaked in at some point. If you want to sample the engine oil caterpillar can do it for about 13 bucks I think for the mailing packet. Deere has their own also. Glycol and water shows up on their tests pretty good. See whats in it. Then If no glycol change the oil and see what happens. If there is glycol then you know it needs more attention. Pretty cheap to know for sure

As Janicholson posted you have moisture in your crankcase which should not be there, and you need to check what and how much by cracking the drain and catching what comes out. **** HOWEVER ****, since you have milky oil but you have told us very little history, there is a strong probability that since you have milky oil that the moisture is only what you put in there yourself through severe abuse in how you run it. Water is a product of combustion, and some of it gets into the oil. In normal operation any engine when run will soon come up to operating temperature, and any moisture in the oil will be vaporized and pushed out the vent, provide it is run for long enough at a high enough temperature. Getting a workout as Rustred posted. Have you been doing this? Or have you been running it for just short periods?
showcrop
In 2019 My Jubilee was retired after buying a Kubota.
The Jubilee has seen little use now.
This summer the #4 exhaust valve stuck open.
I removed the valve cover and you can see the water in on the floor and inside the valve cover.
Next to the #4 exhaust valve is an air vent.
This is condensation not coolant.
The oil had very few hours on it.
It looked like dirty rusty crap when I drained it.
So when I start it I let it run for about a half hour at half speed.
I sprayed wd40 on the valve stem and inside the cylinder.
It ran for about 10 seconds on 3 cylinders before hitting on all 4.

Attachments

• 20230922_102353 (1).jpg
    20230922_102353 (1).jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back