Farmall b has a knocking/ticking sound in transmission.

farmalldave

New User
Hello I have a Farmall bn that just recently started having a tapping sound coming from the transmission. The sound is hard to locate at times it sounds like it's coming from the left side of axle. I removed the transmission shift cover and found a looks to be tooth stuck between some gears. I removed that and changed all gear oil. I started it back up and was able to drive it after removing the tooth in the gear. While driving it the sound returned and the engine stopped running. The battery is new and the tractor engine acts like it is seized up. Although when I push in on the clutch the engine spins just fine like it did before. The engine has good oil. What could this problem be where do I start in trying to find the problem to fix it. Thanks

The first (most critical) issue is the engine. If it is made to run again. and I hope it is as simple as cleaning the points) the transmission can be tackled. the gear the tooth came off of will need to be replaced as a minimum. possibly bearings and a mating gear. So if the engine has a major fault, decide what the value is to you and either sell it as is and tell the buyer what happened, or fix it. Selling as is is probably a 300 dollar event. Jim

You have major trouble in the transmission , the more you drive it the more costly the repair will
be. Going to have to find the gear that is falling. Hopefully that is causing you engine to lock up
as you say it spins with the clutch in.

Does the engine start and run as long as you hold the
clutch down? The engine quitting and the transmission
locking most likely are not related. I agree with JM.
Sounds like instead of just asking about the shifter
cover you should have told us about the so
called..tooth.. stuck in the gear. There is an oil slinger
gear on the bottom shaft in those made out of
aluminum that gives problems sometimes. See number
40 in the link. Usually the teeth start shearing off an it
self destructs. Usually if the engine is running
correctly it has enough power that is just chews the
aluminum to pieces and it keeps on going. Did you
attempt to find out where the stray tooth in the gear
came from? Turn the shafts etc. On another note are
you missing any wrenches or sockets?
CNHI Farmall B trans parts diagram

What Dieseltech said is likely your problem. The oiler gear is on the bottom shaft, toward the rear of the transmission. It's made out of potmetal or aluminum, and after 75 or so years is brittle. The teeth break off, and get caught in the other gears. One way to know if that's what it is - check the piece you removed from the gear, and see if it'll stick to a magnet. If it doesn't, it's from the oiler gear. A lot of people just knock off all the teeth on the gear, and run without it. Be careful to get all the pieces out of the bottom of the transmission!

Ok this is prob a dumb question but how do you change out that gear that slings the oil. I ordered some books for the bn but it doesn't go into great detail on how to fix what's broke only maintenance on the tractor. I would think that gear is important and I want to do things the right way. Willing to learn. Thanks for all the info

The purpose of the aluminum gear is to sling oil on the main shaft above it. When the tractor is doing belt or PTO work and running in neutral, the top shaft rear components get reduced oil flow. The Aluminum gear supplies that oil. If you don't do stationary work, it can be eliminated. If you sell it you should mention the fact that it is disabled. IIRC the new Gears to replace it are more well made. Jim

You need to look for manuals for the ..B.. you will find
more listings. The only difference between the B and
BN is the length of the one axle housing, so
mechanically everything for one applies to the other.
You need the I & T manual 2nd in the attached list. I am
not sure how much the IH manual, 1st in the list covers
over and above the I & T. I am not all that familiar with
those smaller Farmalls but I believe a split is required
to change that gear. If it is not required I am sure
someone will correct this, Grandpa Love probably
would know for sure even though Cubs are his forte. I
think he even has one parked in the bedroom while he
sleeps.
YT manuals for sale for Farmall B

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back