Don't move here!

2underage

A posting by Brent Zappe about moving has caused me to issue this warning.
Don't move here.. First it is very cold here. Not just in the winter but in the spring and the summer {the 3 best days of the year here} and as far as the fall goes it could also be included as part of the winter because with the snow and the cold it is nearly impossible to tell the difference.
And it does snow here. In fact we do not even call it snow unless it is two years old. While in most places they have a season they call spring we just call it the "mud season" if it warms up enough to thaw some of the ice and snow. To sum it up we just have rotten weather!

Also the people who live here are mean and rude to each other. I never talk over the fence with my neighbor, he lives two miles away, and I have no idea what his name is. If he sees me outside when he drives by he usually gives me the one finger salute. Very friendly guy.

A lot of Amish live around here and they are always stopping their horse in front of my mailbox so that it can relieve itself and leave me a nice pile of fertilizer. When I spoke to one about it he answered in German and waited until his horse dumped me another pile. Nice guy!

The economy here is bad and there are very few jobs. However the land prices are very low . A lot of the farms here sell for under $500 per acre which would be good if you could grow anything. With the Amish their biggest crop seems to be kids. The taxes are very high here because of the poor economy there are not a lot of people who can pay taxes so those who can have the pleasure of paying for all.

Yes we have some good things here to. You can drive your tractor across the road without any danger that someone will run into you and you can drive for miles without meeting another vehicle not counting Amish buggies. And yes you do need to drive for miles to shop but you will not find any long lines in the stores. The hunting and fishing is great but there is not much game just some migrating geese and the occasional stray coyote. Most fishing is done through the ice. You can fish from a boat some years but you always have the danger of sinking your boat by hitting some submerged ice. Most years you can leave your ice fishing shanty on the ice year round although the DEC would like you to take it off the ice for a the few days of summer.

I think there may be some other good things about living here but I can't think of any right now. If you are wondering why I don't just move away from here the best reason is that I am to poor to move and who in their right mind would buy my place. So here I am stuck.

DON'T MOVE HERE.

Just where is HERE !

Sounds like my mail box area too. I saw where one place (forget where) made the Amish have a poop catcher behind the horses !

I have lived in some real s---t holes. But I never felt that bad. maybe you should quit biteing yourself every morning.

Sounds a lot like parts of Wisconsin. Except for the land prices. There is another Amish farm going up in our neighborhood. The Amish are good enough people, but they don't add much to the local economy.

Northern New York state near the border with Canada. About 600 miles north of New York city. I wish it was 6000 miles.

Funny, we have a farmer that had farmed in Ontario for years, now operates a dairy farm on the NY side by his choice as he figured it to be advantageous.

(quoted from post at 12:13:44 12/04/15) Funny, we have a farmer that had farmed in Ontario for years, now operates a dairy farm on the NY side by his choice as he figured it to be advantageous.
inda reminds me of that old saw about " a man named Willis Carrier ruined Texas forever!" :cry:

The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence and till you get over there. What I was saying is that farming land is geting less. Do to people moveing in to my town makeing the town Grow bigger. I am born and raised in my town (Riverside Ca.) I have seen a nice small town grown in to a Big town of people . Every thing you say about your place is almost true over here except for a couple of things. How do you fight a law when they want the land you can not.

Brent, my post was not meant to be taken seriously. I know what you mean about the government taking away your rights and I hope you the best of outcomes.

It ain't all that bad is it? I'm just around the corner from you. We are kind of in a backwater but I've never lived anywhere else so I don't know no different. I've often wonder what I'd be doing if I was born somewhere else. I could be a whole lot worse off.

Let me ease your mind on one topic, you don't have to worry about me moving there! LOL

This song says it all! Max Stalling "Tadpoles and Eagles"

(quoted from post at 12:04:38 12/04/15) A posting by Brent Zappe about moving has caused me to issue this warning.
Don't move here.. First it is very cold here. Not just in the winter but in the spring and the summer {the 3 best days of the year here} and as far as the fall goes it could also be included as part of the winter because with the snow and the cold it is nearly impossible to tell the difference.
And it does snow here. In fact we do not even call it snow unless it is two years old. While in most places they have a season they call spring we just call it the "mud season" if it warms up enough to thaw some of the ice and snow. To sum it up we just have rotten weather!

Also the people who live here are mean and rude to each other. I never talk over the fence with my neighbor, he lives two miles away, and I have no idea what his name is. If he sees me outside when he drives by he usually gives me the one finger salute. Very friendly guy.

A lot of Amish live around here and they are always stopping their horse in front of my mailbox so that it can relieve itself and leave me a nice pile of fertilizer. When I spoke to one about it he answered in German and waited until his horse dumped me another pile. Nice guy!

The economy here is bad and there are very few jobs. However the land prices are very low . A lot of the farms here sell for under $500 per acre which would be good if you could grow anything. With the Amish their biggest crop seems to be kids. The taxes are very high here because of the poor economy there are not a lot of people who can pay taxes so those who can have the pleasure of paying for all.

Yes we have some good things here to. You can drive your tractor across the road without any danger that someone will run into you and you can drive for miles without meeting another vehicle not counting Amish buggies. And yes you do need to drive for miles to shop but you will not find any long lines in the stores. The hunting and fishing is great but there is not much game just some migrating geese and the occasional stray coyote. Most fishing is done through the ice. You can fish from a boat some years but you always have the danger of sinking your boat by hitting some submerged ice. Most years you can leave your ice fishing shanty on the ice year round although the DEC would like you to take it off the ice for a the few days of summer.

I think there may be some other good things about living here but I can't think of any right now. If you are wondering why I don't just move away from here the best reason is that I am to poor to move and who in their right mind would buy my place. So here I am stuck.

DON'T MOVE HERE.

Wow, you're kinda sugar coating Northern NY aren't you? You didn't mention them wanting to tax farmland the same as residential, the gun laws (pretty much can't have anything anymore), the fact the state is predominantly rural and is controlled by guys named Vinnie, Mario, Carmine or Shelly that all live in penthouse apartments on 5th Ave in NYC, the fact that if you live outside a town of at least 20K they think you're too freakin' stupid to be able have an open fire, that we have colleges that pay people to come with ideas like cloning mastodons and releasing them into the wild (no, really!), that the only people who can afford to put up a new house or barn are either doctors, gov't employees, college professors or the Amish, that the Amish actually make pretty good neighbors, that the areas chief exports are our kids, our tax dollars and illegal aliens and that our chief imports are drugs and people from other states who just saw cheap land when they bought.

Of course there's the good too. I'm trying hard to remember what "good" is..............................nope, I got nuthin'.

:lol:

My uncle was an equipment salesman. Several years ago (before NAFTA) he went to an area that had run-down, poorly maintained buildings to answer a request from a farmer just on the U.S. side of the border along the prairie provinces. He noticed that particular farmer had a better set of building than others in that area; then he noticed another set of well kept buildings on the other side of the section. The man he was talking to explained that his brother lived across the section on the Canadian side of the border.

Whichever side had to highest prices for a commodity, they moved that commodity to that side during the night and sold them all for the top dollar.

I just wish people from New York. Would stop moving to my part of Texas and telling me how great it was. Where they came from. If it was so great why did they leave.

Reminds me of a sign we saw on a sheet of plywood in front of a 5 acre junk pile "I'm going to sell this d@mn place and move my trashy a$$ to Texas", a marketing genius, I guess.

Anyone who can't tolerate a little horse poop must be a transplanted city slicker. I have no problem at all with cow, horse, dog poop in driveway, road or even in my yard, its all natural and will improve the soil. What I can't tolerate is the come-here folks that tell me how to run my farm.

Every word of what you say is true. I lived in Ellenburg Corners for one winter in 1946. As soon as spring came and we could dig
the car out of the snowbank and thaw the gas out we left. We didn't hang around to see the 3 days of summer.

Funny, we have a farmer that had farmed in Ontario for years, now operates a dairy farm on the NY side by his choice as he figured it to be advantageous.

Would that be Ian?? Known him and his family for 30 years....

(quoted from post at 17:01:16 12/04/15) I just wish people from New York. Would stop moving to my part of Texas and telling me how great it was. Where they came from. If it was so great why did they leave.

My son lives in Texas and I'd move there if I could afford it. But I know what you mean. You're probably dealing with the same type of people I had to deal with- all out of the greater NYC area. I'm 9 hours north of NYC on the Ontario border. Nuthin' here but cows, house trailers, prisons and a lot of unemployed people. Where I used to live, I could step out my back door and walk for 40-50 miles before I hit a road. Not all of NY is NYC.

(quoted from post at 16:01:16 12/04/15) I just wish people from New York. Would stop moving to my part of Texas and telling me how great it was. Where they came from. If it was so great why did they leave.
een it! Not only that they vote for every bond/spending package that comes along, while proclaiming that "taxes here are a lot cheaper than Jersey!" I respond that 'you keep that sheet up & soon Texas taxes will match those you came here to escape!!'
One of my favorite bumper stickers says, "If you ? NY, take I-30 East!"

(quoted from post at 16:01:16 12/04/15) I just wish people from New York. Would stop moving to my part of Texas and telling me how great it was. Where they came from. If it was so great why did they leave.
een it! Not only that they vote for every bond/spending package that comes along, while proclaiming that "taxes here are a lot cheaper than Jersey!" I respond that 'you keep that sheet up & soon Texas taxes will match those you came here to escape!!'
One of my favorite bumper stickers says, "If you ? NY, take I-30 East!"

One of my favorite bumper stickers says, "If you (heart symbol) NY, take I-30 East!"

Sorry about those multiple posts, but YT wouldn't let me use ?, but it still put it up. Go figure computers!!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back