Doodle Bugs

Brian G. NY

My wife's uncle built several Model A Doodlebugs. He was a Ford mechanic for years going back into the Model T days so he was very knowledgeable about the old Ford cars and trucks. He could make the Model A engine "purr like a kitten".
Here are a few pics of the last one he had. Thes Pics were taken back in the late 50s and early 60s. The whole family had a lot of fun driving it.

mvphoto93607.jpg

mvphoto93608.jpg

mvphoto93609.jpg

mvphoto93611.jpg

Some time in the early 60s he bought the Model A roadster for 50 bucks to make another doodle bug. It sat on his lawn for a day or two and someone made him an offer he couldn't refuse and that was the end of that. LOL A bunch of the family got to drive it around the day he brought it home. That's me driving with my then girlfriend, now wife and her sister.

mvphoto93610.jpg

We have this old doodlebug out on the edge of a field. I think its based on a model T. Anyways, someone took the head off the engine, and the cover off the trans and covered it with a tarp. Probably 20 years ago. They were probably going to work on it again soon. We all know how that goes....

mvphoto93664.jpg

mvphoto93665.jpg

mvphoto93666.jpg

Yes it's a 1926-27 Ford Model T engine. Looks saveable. Transmission is probably Ford truck. You can
probably find a better one. They also used Chevrolet transmissions in the second place. Had to have
the torque tube drives. Rear ends usually were Ford worm gear types. Gave them the low speed and good
torque.

(quoted from post at 12:25:28 06/22/22) Yes it's a 1926-27 Ford Model T engine. Looks saveable. Transmission is probably Ford truck. You can
probably find a better one. They also used Chevrolet transmissions in the second place. Had to have
the torque tube drives. Rear ends usually were Ford worm gear types. Gave them the low speed and good
torque.

Heres a pic of the rear end. Yeah I had heard they used some parts from a Ford truck in it.

I was pulling some old junk out of the woods last year to scrap it, and my dad told me I should check out the doodlebug. I had never heard of one before. He told me as a kid in the 1950s about having lot rods and doodlebugs. Sounds like a good time to me.

Anyways its still there waiting for someone to do something with it. I think he has pics somewhere of it when it was still running.

mvphoto93670.jpg

Looks like the Model T transmission is still there with a later truck transmission behind it. My transmission was all rusted up. I took it all apart, cleaned it up and put new bearing in it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back