Dozer Lowboy

redforlife

Nobody chains dozers down, right? Seen a dozer laying on its side along the road the other day. A big one.
Apperantly the semi driver took the corner to fast. Dozer slid on the deck. From what I heard/understand, the dozer didn't slide all the way off, but enough to be all messed up. And driver stopped, and tried to reload it, and it still ended up going off the lowboy on its side. Dozer was far enough away from intersection, to of had the truck back straightened out again. So it does stand to reason that the dozer did come off during reloading efforts.
So, I guess those dozers can come off of there when not chained down. LOL. And for those that want to argue, yes it would of probably just upset the lowboy too, if it was chained down.

Red my previous employer dropped his dozer off the side when unloading last year. He has been in business since 1985 and this was a first.Trailer deck was at a slight angle and wet. Always chained it down when I worked for him. He hung on and didnt get hurt.
cvphoto114138.png

cvphoto114139.png

cvphoto114140.png

A few years ago I went by a dejected looking young fella standing looking at a dozer lying on its side in the ditch next to the road. There was a 90 degree intersection that he had probably pulled out of.

One winter a guy was using his John Deere 40 crawler to clear driveways around town. If the next driveway was more than a block away, he would load it up on his flatbed without chaining it down for the move. He left the tractor idling, and I watched as he slowly turned the corner by my place. There was a nice layer of frost on the bed of the truck. Every one of the cleats on those tracks acted just like ice skates - the tractor came off with a huge whoomp! It broke nearly every casting on that tractor.

I would of liked to of been there when they righted this one. Seen how they did it. Because, that was my thought too. If they just pulled it back over, and let the track in the air just fall to the ground, I'd of thought the impact would of broken some things.
I've heard stories of people pulling tricycle tractors back over, and breaking the back axle is not uncommon when the back wheel hits the ground.

Years ago someone made a turn to fast and the dozer was on its side against a store front. I almost slid off my trailer some years ago. Put trailer in the heated shop overnight so no ice or snow on the deck but 3/4 of the way to the job site there was a dusting of snow. Water/salt spray iced up the trailer. When I loaded the trailer was very slightly off level. When I thumped over the beaver tail it slid sideways and caught on the
slightly prominent channel siderail. Whew. Chained it in place, pulled it onto the level road, centered it chained good and headed for home. This was on a steep hill and needed good trailer brakes to keep it from pushing the truck around turns on the sanded road.

Last night I was watching a You Tube vid showing a guy in Vietnam loading a mini-hoe onto a beat up single axle dual wheel bumper hitch trailer being pulled by a small single axle dual wheel truck. He flopped the ramps down and when he backed the hoe on the trailer the back wheels of the truck came up off the ground and the trailer tipped back to where the ramps aligned just perfect with the trailer deck. After he had backed on most of the way the truck slowly came back down. When the hoe was clear to the front of the trailer it still looked tongue light. He did not chain the hoe but he didn't go fast when he took off. The guy with the camera followed him a half mile or so down the narrow streets To where the hoe was unloaded with the truck leaving the ground again. The hoe operator had the bucket on the ground while he loaded and unloaded so the truck and trailer wouldn't scoot away from under him. I could tell this wasn't his first rodeo.

Probably 60 years ago local garage that also sold apliances and LP in 100# tanks for cook stoves was delievering the tanks in his pickup when a flat bed truck with dozer dumped that dover on his truck loaded with LP tanks as he was just starting rout to deliever. He was not hurt but destroyed the truck. He was out of apliance and LP bussiness and only in garage and hardware when I learned to know him. He gave me a big Chiltons repair manuak that covered my first car a 48 Buick and second car a 49 Cadilac. Still have that manual.

Dad was a logger so us boys grew up
skidding logs with dozers. I've taken many
sideways slides on snow covered ice. Up to
about 100 yards until something stopped
it. Was using a D4 once and pushing logs
to where a picker truck could reach them.
Field on a side hill with ice under snow.
Picker operator couldn't believe I would
slide half way across the field every few
logs and keep coming back for more. Got it
done.

My old 50 ton dovetail lowboy has two 3-1/2 pipes running longitudinal with the trailer that are set apart far enough for the dozer to straddle them and have about 10 of play. They are welded down on some 3 tall subs that pin on the trailer that make it about 7 tall. They can be unpinned and removed if desired. It comes in handy when moving on a lease road and not getting on the highway, set the brakes and go. On my newer trailer I just made some 8 radius half moons out of 1 steel and put 8 of them on the trailer.

One of our local dozer guys was eating breakfast in our local cafe one morning 15 years ago or so with the rest of us heading out to do a rig move. He had loaded his D6H dozer that morning in the rain, and it was still sprinkling. He was parked on a small incline, and while eating the dozer slid off the trailer sideways and stopped with the left tracks on the edge of the trailer and the right tracks on the ground. It was too risky to try and drive it on off, so I stood the poles up on my Autocar and picked it up on that side and he drove out from under it.

(quoted from post at 10:31:28 01/15/22) Nobody chains dozers down, right? Seen a dozer laying on its side along the road the other day. A big one.
Apperantly the semi driver took the corner to fast. Dozer slid on the deck. From what I heard/understand, the dozer didn't slide all the way off, but enough to be all messed up. And driver stopped, and tried to reload it, and it still ended up going off the lowboy on its side. Dozer was far enough away from intersection, to of had the truck back straightened out again. So it does stand to reason that the dozer did come off during reloading efforts.
So, I guess those dozers can come off of there when not chained down. LOL. And for those that want to argue, yes it would of probably just upset the lowboy too, if it was chained down.

Actually, you chain the trailer to the dozer. I've seen two accidents where this prevented separation and the trailer stayed under the tractor, even though the spring binders started coming loose on the last one.

(quoted from post at 23:37:47 01/15/22)
(quoted from post at 10:31:28 01/15/22) Nobody chains dozers down, right? Seen a dozer laying on its side along the road the other day. A big one.

Actually, you chain the trailer to the dozer. I've seen two accidents where this prevented separation and the trailer stayed under the tractor, even though the spring binders started coming loose on the last one.

Check Break does that require one way chains???

(quoted from post at 05:24:14 01/16/22)
(quoted from post at 23:37:47 01/15/22)

Check Break does that require one way chains???

Just one way binders, one way at a time.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back