Electric Golf Cart Question

MCL

I was given a 1986 EZGO electric golf cart. The guy said when they last used it it would either go very slow or full bore. When you push the accelerator there is a piece that passes over another piece with 4 or 5 "buttons". He thinks that is where the problem is. Problem is this thing needs all new batteries and cables. I hate to spend $500 on it to find out that it needs more expensive repairs. I can buy a decent older electric golf cart ready to go for $700-$1000. Anybody had any experience working on these things?

Please don't tell me to go buy a gas powered one because they are so much better. If I had the money for that I would have already done it.

There is a website called "Buggies Unlimited" that has a great forum, same as this one. Hope this doesn't violate the rules. They walked me through two years of golf cart restorations.

Each button it passes over goes to a resistor to make varying speeds. The first to a thick res, 2nd to thinner, etc. and finally direct for full speed. These resistors are usually located in a bank and covered becaused they get hot. After a fashion they can burn through or break leaving you with low and high only. The copper buttons wear too and can create the same conditions. Newer carts use a solid state speed control.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back