EV Battery fast chargeing

I did the training for the Tahoe/Yukon 2 Mode Hybrid. In the early training, they originally intended for the batteries to be dealer serviceable. We were taught how to open the battery and replace individual cells. I made the joke that each cell was 7.2 volts, just like an RC car. The gm instructor failed to find the humor. gm soon abandoned battery repairs, as they found a lot of guys had no idea how dangerous it could be.

I shudder to think of some of the guys I've worked with over the years working on 3-400 volt EVs. Great guys, but would stick their fingers in anything without a thought. At least on mechanical things, usually the worse is loose that finger. Put your finger in the wrong place on an EV and you're dead.

If you have a welder outlet you are already set up. A 50 Amp will charge in a few hours. I spent $13 on a different plug in. Some ev s will need an extra box. Bought ev in 2014. They are fun to drive. I hate driving gas cars now.

It's not uncommon for multiple media outlets (no longer call them news sources) to reference the same source material. Especially if it reflects their narrative.

In this case - the multiple sources are wrong - the picture is from France - not China as claimed.

The cars are all from a ride share company that started up in Franc, at its peak in 2016, the program boasted 110,000 subscribers.

The Ride share company only had 4000 cars with over 100,000 subscribers. This meant many subscribers couldn't find a vehicle when they wanted them - and they trashed them when they did find one. In 2018 the company failed and all their cars were put up for sale.

In the end the cars in better condition were re-sold to new users or scrapped for parts. A private company stored a large number of the cars in poor/not running condition in a lot in an industrial park, the one in the picture. The cars are all scrap - not SPECIFICALLY because the vehicles' storage cells had failed, but because the cars all had issues - THAT MAY HAVE INCLUDED THE BATTERY FAILING.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you research long enough all these vehicles are in France, they are all electric and they are all scrap. They are also trashed by the ride share customers who with no vested interest in the vehicles reminded everyone why the term Drive it like you stole it became a term.

How many are being scrapped because the battery is part of/or the main issue for being parked - it is unknown unless someone can get number out of Bollor group. They don't want to say.

Do you want to spend $19,000 for REPAIRS on a 4-6 year car that was only $27,000 to $30,000 new?

After the taxpayers pay for part of the Volt new price is still around $27,000.

3 phase 440 - that sounds like something that the government will make illegal for the average home owner.

If thousands of homes running a 110 AC unit on a 15 amp breaker can cause a brown out or black out, imagine what thousands of those things will do to the electrical grid.

The picture of the cars in the OP's post are the French ones- nobody disputes that. HOWEVER, you are confusing that photograph with ANOTHER widely misconstrued one from China of other EVs (dont worry, youre in good company...). That different photo is what most of the stories in the media are correctly about.

And yes, the French cars were from a company that went belly up due to poor maintenance (possibly including bum batteries) and losing a government contract.

They were not all scrapped, as you rightly point out and contrary to the as OP's claim, because 100% of the batteries failed and it cost to much to replace them.

You got that right! We have 2 vehicles that, for now, have replaceable battery modules. So many cells to a module and so many modules to an assembly. We haven't been told the final decision as to whether they are going to have dealer techs do the module replacements or if they will be sent into the manufacturer and let them do it. For now they will be sent in to be refurbished. I hope it stays that way. Because, as you said, some people don't know where to keep their fingers out of! We have other EVs that have non-serviceable batteries that are replaced as a unit.

Would an IC engine be any different?

A crash severe enough to damage an EV battery would likely also damage an IC engine, set off air bags, take out the A/C, radiator, front sheet metal and maybe bend the sub-frame. By that point everyone is only concerned that the people survive with minimal injuries and could care less about the car.

(quoted from post at 16:47:31 04/26/23) I read in China they exchange batteries instead of spending time to charge in about the time it takes to gas up.

I think that may solve many issues.

Some factories exchange battery packs on their forklifts.

This is most certainly how fleets will be managed in urban areas. Even 50 years ago we did not charge portable radios in patrol cars, we exchanged them for freshlly charged at every shift change. When they eventualy wore out we just threw them away which will certainly be costilier with the EV batteries, but will still be a predicatble, manageable budget expense, as are the vehicles themselves.

I used to think my truck had amazing get up and go. I loved driving that sucker, now I hate when I have to use that noisy sluggish bugger. And since I'm used to the one pedal driving now, that truck don't stop for crud.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back