External Hard Drive Question

John T

I know it has worked before but now it refuses. I have a 1TB external USB Hard Drive that I have used to store data from my desktop (Windows 8.1 64 Bit) and then transfer it over to my Laptop (Windows 7 not sure if 32 or 64???). When I plug it via USB cable into my desktop it recognizes it as a USB mass storage device and calls it drive G and there are all my files etc. (I know I did this before and it worked) But then if I remove it and plug it into my Laptop USB I hear the bell sound like its plugged in etc BUT IT DOES NOT SHOW UP IN MY COMPUTER (Only the C drive NOT the external HD I just plugged in)

I tried to uninstall and re install and update driver and re boot out the ying yang and in Control Panel in Device Manager (Laptop) it shows up and says its working and driver is correct etc etc but when I go to My Computer to explore for files and folders THAT DRIVE IS JUST NOT THERE TO BE FOUND

This is makin me angry cuz I have done this before but now its not showing up in my laptop despite all the usual uninstall and reinstall and search and update drivers and re install drivers grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Device manager sees it correctly and says all is well but its invisible in My Computer ONLY the C drive shows up NOT the external even though plugging it into the USB (I tried all 3) makes it it rings the usual bells

John T

does other USB devices work ok on your laptop? If so it has to be corrupted drivers, etc in your laptop.

I would try three things:

1. Do a System Restore on your laptop back as far as you can go.
2. Turn your external hard drive off and then back on when plugged into your laptop.
3. Run diagnostics on your external hard drive.

I have had similar problems with both win 7 & 8 not being able to see drives. I have solved it in most instances by editing the register and adding a DWORD entry with the name of EnableLinkedConnections & a value of 1.

Google EnableLinkedConnections to get instructions on how to do it. Be careful and make a backup of the registry first.

HTH
John K

There is a transfer data to another computer utility program in WIN 7 program. Computers to be connected with each other with standard network cable on backside plug. In the W-7 utility program need to know if transferring data from 32 bit to 64 bit or vice versa and choose correct option so the transfer works. Have all your files placed on one computer that way and don't have to mess with USB storage devices not working between different computers or external hard drives. Or faulty driver software.

Something may be wrong with the USB driver on the laptop. You may have to do a system recovery to correct it.

I thought you said you have used this before on your laptop, but by any chance is there already a drive G before you plug it in? I put in 2 drives all the time on all my computers and once i had the same problem only to find that there was already a drive by that letter and they had the same drive letter so it wouldn't really see the second drive. I assigned it a new drive letter and all was fine.

Thanks all, Im still working on it but not resolved yet. YES other USB drives are recognized and the drivers are okay, from the vendors website and some of you I have determined its a Drive Management problem and maybe re name drive is the fix??? I go to my computer and manage and drives and drive management and change letter etc and its showing up and right there all shows fine but it grays out where Im supposed to reassign a new drive letter grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

After Christmas I may have to call tech support, its NOT critical now, I have all backed up in 2 or 3 places plus carbonite but I just like to get all working 100%

The help site says what to do to change or reassign drive letters when its not showing up but that part is grayed out even though drive management shows the drive to be present, working and has the correct driver

Oh well

John T

John,

Ya don't have to be chasin' down drivers for the external. They are embedded the drive and the computer sucks 'em in when you plug in the drive.

A "just for what it's worth". :>)

Allan

The problem may lie in the External HDD itself. Do you know the file system format that was used in Windows 8? NTFS or GPT? It doesn"t matter if Windows is a 32 or 64-bit OS when it comes to HDDs.

If the HDD was disconnected without using the Safely Remove function, it may have damaged the MBR preventing the OS from seeing the Partitions. The Hardware side of the USB drive is working fine. It"s the Partitions the OS can"t see.

Click Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management. There you will find the External HDD listed as unallocated or not intialized. Do not intialize the Drive.

Try This:

1. Plug in and turn on the external USB hard drive
2. Right mouse click on My Computer
3. Left click on Manage
4. Left click on Device Manager
5. Expand the USB list
6. Find the USB device for your USB Hard Drive (may have no Discription)
7. Right mouse click then Uninstall
8. Turn off the external USB hard drive wait 1 minute
9. Turn on the external USB hard drive and let it find and install the driver
It should now work.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back