F350 Vs Freightliner F70

Bobl1958

I realize this will seem like a weird thought. I have a good friend that has a 1998 Freightliner F70 with 37,000 original miles that he has used to pull a camper. The F70 is a small truck, similar to the Chevy F4500. The truck is not used much. He has put new Michelin tires, all new belts and hoses, and all fluids. The truck is a 2 door with a bench seat behind the 2 front seats. Caterpillar engine and 9 speed trans. Super nice condition with a shorter flatbed with tool boxes. Air ride 5th wheel hitch. $28,000.00 which is with the friend discount.

I have a 2016 Ford F350 Lariat, 1 Ton dually with 4 doors, 4 WD, pretty much loaded, long bed with 68,000 miles. Super nice truck in excellent condition. Obviously with 68,000 miles on a 2016 I don't drive it much.

My thinking is to sell the Ford and buy the Freightliner. I can certainly sell the Ford for $60K pretty easy. My thoughts are that the Ford is just way to nice to A) have sitting around, and B) to use to haul hay in and out of fields, tractors to the dealers for repair, and other misc deals that the considerably cheaper Freightliner can do. The F-liner is 2 WD with duals on the rear, and would definitely haul the heavier loads with ease. I don't do much (albiet some) long distance driving with the Ford, and the F-liner can certainly do the distance easy enough, just not quite as comfortable as the Ford.

I realize this is a hard situation to see all the ins and outs, just wondering if anyone would have any input that will help decide, or something that I haven't thought about. I do have a CDL, but for my own eqt and use I don't think it would be required anyway. The F-liner is just a tad longer than my Ford, and certainly would be somewhat of an extreme, but I think will hold it's value, where the Ford will be worth less each year. Let me know the good or bad if you can think of any. Both trucks are what I would consider in excellent mechanical as well as cosmetic condition.

Just a note that I also have 2 other pickups, one that is newer Ford 1/2 ton and the other 1997 Chevy 3/4 ton that are driven for most things I do. Thanks for any input - Bob

If you would be over the 26000 limit you would be into CDL requirement. You will get looked at more as a commercial truck with need to be going through the scales all the time. You'll probably get into fuel stickers for it if you travel outside your home state. Some states observe farm plates differently. So don't count on a farm plate to help you out there. Then if you are going to be over the 150 mile radius from the farm you will be into commercial plates with a trailer over the 10000 limit and a truck over the 26000. Annual inspection will need to be done for the scale guys to leave you alone on that. If you happen to haul some equipment home that happens to just hang off the side a wee bit you will get more closely looked at and may even be required to get Oversize permits. The F70 will set higher so that is what will make it look more commercial. You will also get all kinds of answers and suggestions here on this. I'd keep the pickup.

FL70 or is there a F70?

CDL? Probaly thousands pulling RV trailers with no CDL and the other commercial requirements.

Insurance might be higher than you like.

When you go to sell it, the amount of potential customers might be less than with the pickup.

Its really up to the individual. 3126B electronic i assume in the FL. Manual transmission? Hurts resale, as some wives cant do all that well with a stick. Would be under powered compared to what you have, fuel milage would worse as well. Ride quality, handleing, parking, all not as handy. I have friends that have them, and i run with them, pulling 34' on the floor horse trailer style toy haulers.
My 2015 Dura-max with 21,500 miles on it,will do 2.5-4 mpg better, and i can pass them when ever i want. When we park and camp, and the men or women go shopping, its my truck they take

The F350 is serving well. Unless there is a substantive need for the cash difference, don't do it. It will be acceptable, but not comfy. Jim

As you have already noted, the FL70 will be less comfortable, have less power, and be a bit more cumbersome than the F350. That said, it will be a more stable towing platform and possibly have better brakes. The only difference as to licensing/registration is the F350 is likely a bit lighter, so you can have a higher payload if you are trying to stay under 26000. If everything you do qualifies for farm or RV exemption than it is not an issue.

I run a class 8 truck as my RV/toy hauler. I was always over 26000 with an F350 SRW so it made no difference how big I went, I am sure I am not overloaded now. The insurance is less for the big truck than the F350, but registration is more (registered for a lot more weight though). I went with a full size truck due to power and comfort. I have a 385, which isnt fast but gets the job done. The comfort with air seats, air cab suspension, and air ride is much better than the F350. Long distance travel in the F350 was hard on my wife, the big truck is a non issue.

I had a dodge/cummins 5speed 3500 to pull a 30 ft trailer fairly heavy loaded and it ate me up with repairs. sold it and replaced with a pete cabover single axle 8.3 cummins six speed. It cost me one mile per gallon, have had no repairs in four years, the downside being off road it won't pull anything. Heavy diesel engine makes even simple places challenging. might be worth a thot.

We had a 2000 FL70 at work, 8.3 cummins/allison tandem axle. It served us well but nobody wanted to work on it. See if body parts are available for it. Electrical wiring was a nightmare. With yours being a single axle, your ford will get around better in the fields. Would not want to drive it far. But I can see some advantages, but try it out once before you buy it. That cat engine isn't anything special, I would keep engine speed sensors and high pressure oil solenoid valve for the fuel injection in the glovebox.

Just my thinking but for around here he is at least 5 thousand high on the FL and yes I know things are up now but very limited market for that truck. Go set in it and decide the seats make you feel like you are sliding out to the front, you can shim them up but ride and comfort will not even be close to your ford. Your money and your decision but you need to like the FL because it will not be easy to get out of.

jm I agree it is at least $5000 to high. The truck market was extremely high for a long time but over the last 3 months or so it has dropped dramatically.

I considered the same thing a few years ago to pull my RV. I kept the Ford F-350. Comfort, maneuvering, but mostly HP is why I kept the F350. The one I was looking at only had 250 HP. I was told the F70 would get me anywhere just not very fast.

With that cat diesel over the front axle it won't work for you in the field if there is any amount of moisture in the ground. Even though many big trucks are used as campers with no CDL needed they are not operating in COMMERCE. A trailer of any size will put you over 26,000 GVW

(quoted from post at 13:59:48 06/07/22) I realize this will seem like a weird thought. I have a good friend that has a 1998 Freightliner F70 with 37,000 original miles that he has used to pull a camper. The F70 is a small truck, similar to the Chevy F4500. The truck is not used much. He has put new Michelin tires, all new belts and hoses, and all fluids. The truck is a 2 door with a bench seat behind the 2 front seats. Caterpillar engine and 9 speed trans. Super nice condition with a shorter flatbed with tool boxes. Air ride 5th wheel hitch. $28,000.00 which is with the friend discount.

I have a 2016 Ford F350 Lariat, 1 Ton dually with 4 doors, 4 WD, pretty much loaded, long bed with 68,000 miles. Super nice truck in excellent condition. Obviously with 68,000 miles on a 2016 I don't drive it much.

My thinking is to sell the Ford and buy the Freightliner. I can certainly sell the Ford for $60K pretty easy. My thoughts are that the Ford is just way to nice to A) have sitting around, and B) to use to haul hay in and out of fields, tractors to the dealers for repair, and other misc deals that the considerably cheaper Freightliner can do. The F-liner is 2 WD with duals on the rear, and would definitely haul the heavier loads with ease. I don't do much (albiet some) long distance driving with the Ford, and the F-liner can certainly do the distance easy enough, just not quite as comfortable as the Ford.

I realize this is a hard situation to see all the ins and outs, just wondering if anyone would have any input that will help decide, or something that I haven't thought about. I do have a CDL, but for my own eqt and use I don't think it would be required anyway. The F-liner is just a tad longer than my Ford, and certainly would be somewhat of an extreme, but I think will hold it's value, where the Ford will be worth less each year. Let me know the good or bad if you can think of any. Both trucks are what I would consider in excellent mechanical as well as cosmetic condition.

Just a note that I also have 2 other pickups, one that is newer Ford 1/2 ton and the other 1997 Chevy 3/4 ton that are driven for most things I do. Thanks for any input - Bob

Since you already have 2 other pickup trucks, buy the Freightliner and sell the F350.

Although no one has said anything I haven't already thought of so far, just seeing the opinions matching my thinking is enough to nix the idea of the FL.

Part of my thinking is that the F350 will loose value quick, and to trade up will be very expensive. The FL should last for years and not need to trade up. But once I would have sold the F350, then to replace it would require a second mortgage on the farm..lol.

Thanks for all the thoughts and opinions. I think I knew it probably wasn't a good idea, just needed to see it in print..lol! Thanks again - Bob

we had a FL70 at a place i used to work. it wasns't well taken care but was still a bit junky in my opinion.

would ride rougher especially over long trips.

I would think you might find better options for similar or less $ too.

With or without a trailer you'll need a CDL to operate - the law goes by the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight RATING) - an F70 is rated more than 26K.

An RV Trailer isn't a commercial venture - you can get away without a CDL. Using it for farming makes a commercial venture.

In my state, unless you're using it for camping or as an RV, youll be dealing with the PUC instead of DMV. Likely with PUC you would need to do separate fuel milage reporting for road tax instead of tax at the pump. I would think you also will need a DOT number. If you're doing any commercial hauling that's a another whole bunch of worms. Your state may be different.

Every time I've had a good vehicle I liked and traded for something different I would up regretting it.

dhermesc I tried to post a link in my other post but not all FL70 are over 26,000gvw. Depends on how it was ordered from the factory.

At the Cat dealer I worked at, they handed me a brand new 1997 FL70 service truck, Cat 3116(mechanical gov), and a 8LL transmission. It was by far a bigger turd than the 88 Top Kick I had before it. The way the seats are, windshield location, and lack of power, didnt drive real well, and the thing rattled to beat hell. I was never so thankful when 2003 and around and I got a new F-750.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back