Farmall 140 will not shut off

Thankks! I wish I could find out my ordering info on Amazon
and see just what size resistor I ordered! I will also replace this
one anyway with the correct one you listed above! I think o still
have my old resistor in my shop so im going to stick that back
on and see what happens!

(quoted from post at 01:51:00 03/24/23) Thankks! I wish I could find out my ordering info on Amazon
on and see what happens!
How do you make your order on Amazon? Possibly by phone? You should still have gotten confirmation on your email I would think. That should give you info to get back to what you ordered. I have always just ordered online with a card and your email is the line of communication for record keeping with that method.

(quoted from post at 11:51:00 03/23/23) Thankks! I wish I could find out my ordering info on Amazon
on and see what happens!

As someone else said, the resistor is ''special'' and is used in the alternator ''excite circuit'' and needs to be 25 Ohms vs. the MUCH lower Ohms value lookalike ignition resistor you likely got on Amazon.

What is the make and part # of the new coil?

Is it POSSIBLE the two-wire plug in the alternator got reversed at some point?

(Most of those plugs have a locating tab making that impossible, but worth a look to see if that particular plug can be reversed.)

(quoted from post at 18:29:53 03/21/23) This is the correct answer!!!! The alternator is feeding power through the #1 terminal back to the ignition resistor. It needs a 10 ohm 10 watt resistor (or a side marker light light bulb (not LED)) wired in series in that wire to #1 terminal. Jim

Jim , you were exactly right! I replaced the new resistor with the old one and problem was solved. Thank you so much for the help and that s one I won t forget! :D

(reply to post at 04:06:22 03/22/23)
Jim, you were exactly w! I put the old resistor back on and problem solved! I really appreciate the help from you and all the others who gave me some input! This is one I won t be forgetting!

JP

(reply to post at 09:02:39 03/22/23)

You were right! I put the old resistor back on and the problem is solved! It starts and shuts down with the switch like normal! Thanks for you help!

JP

Jim, you were exactly w! I put the old resistor back on and problem solved! I really appreciate the help from you and all the others who gave me some input! This is one I won t be forgetting!

JP[/quote]

Make sure the alt is charging. :wink:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back