Farmall 300 brakes

crsutton81

We have a 300 that is in need of a brake job, especially on the right hand wheel. I have the brake disks, springs, and parts manual on hand for it. Being that I have never even opened up the brake drum assembly on any of these tractors, is there any words of wisdom ?

Definitely use new springs and make sure the separator balls are in good shape with no flat spots and the grooves they roll in. Don't not lubricate the balls when assembly. Make sure all linkages are free and work properly

The housing has to be at a certain height from the top of the discs to be able to engage the housing and the back side if to high they don't work. Jim will probably be a long with the information for this the drum/housing will need to be machined off some to get the right spec.

The housing has to be at a certain height from the top of the discs to be able to engage the housing and the back side if to high they don't work. Jim will probably be a long with the information for this the drum/housing will need to be machined off some to get the right spec.
Jim must not be the YT Johnny on the spot this weekend. Here is an older thread that has a reply from Jim giving the specified measurement and explanation. Catguy is referring to.
Older YT post with info
Dry graphite powder is a lubricant that is acceptable to use on the balls and ramps.

When those brakes are right they work great. The most common problem is the material transfer from the discs to the iron parts, mostly from rust spots on the iron gathering brake material from the discs and making an uneven surface and I.e., low coefficient of friction. Start by cleaning up all the iron friction surfaces with a grinding disc ( body grinder). Many times all they need is a good clean-up.

Jim must not be the YT Johnny on the spot this weekend. Here is an older thread that has a reply from Jim giving the specified measurement and explanation. Catguy is referring to.
Older YT post with info
Dry graphite powder is a lubricant that is acceptable to use on the balls and ramps.
Thanks. I was finding a obscure Lithium battery for electronics!! Jim

We have a 300 that is in need of a brake job, especially on the right hand wheel. I have the brake disks, springs, and parts manual on hand for it. Being that I have never even opened up the brake drum assembly on any of these tractors, is there any words of wisdom ?
I have a 300u. Years ago I had to replace the expanders, because they were worn and the balls would hang up on their ramps. These are pretty easy to work on though: remove the adjuster bolt or nuts, whichever it has, then unbolt the housing. It is heavy so hold on- some of the internals (2 discs and the expander) may come off with the housing cover. Pull the springs off the expanders and inspect the ramps and rollers. Reverse to install. Have fun, Mark.

Thank you gentlemen for the replies. Used Red....you mentioned the use of a graphite powder would be suitable as a lubricant for the balls and ramps. Forgive me for being ignorant, but are you referring to something like graphite powder used when mixing seed into the hoppers on a planter ? We have plenty of that on hand but wanted to clarify if I am thinking of the same product.

Thank you gentlemen for the replies. Used Red....you mentioned the use of a graphite powder would be suitable as a lubricant for the balls and ramps. Forgive me for being ignorant, but are you referring to something like graphite powder used when mixing seed into the hoppers on a planter ? We have plenty of that on hand but wanted to clarify if I am thinking of the same product.
Same stuff, use sparingly also PTFE Spray works Tri-Flo or equal. Were you able to access the Post I made through Used Red?

Same stuff, use sparingly also PTFE Spray works Tri-Flo or equal. Were you able to access the Post I made through Used Red?
Ok thank you. Yes sir, I was able to pull up the post. It will be very helpful when we start on this project shortly. This will be new territory for me. I have been into plenty of 1 row Farmall final drives for brakes and other various reasons, but nothing with a disk type brake system.

Graphite chain and cable lube goes on wet and flashes dry. I use ot on a lot of stuff.
When I ran the Super M regularly, I used copper-based high-temp antisieze on the rollers, pulled them down for a clean-up and fresh coat before hooking up the hay rake each spring.
Regular antisieze was a no-go.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back