Farmall 450 power steering retrofit

RBoots

After getting everything else fixed up and replaced on this Farmall 450 I have, the power steering isn't working like it should. The safety valve, priority valve, whatever you want to call it was worn very badly, and just wasn't cutting it.So I decided to eliminate that system and model it after the power steering set up on the Super M that used to be my grandpa's. I went for a less cobbled up look though. I found an old Chevy power steering pump and bracket hanging in the barn. Off what? I have no idea lol. I sort of held it up and looked to see how it would fit, and I'll be darned if the one hole in the bracket would put the pump pulley in perfect alignment with the water pump and alternator pump pulleys, and still allow the entire operation to be hidden under the hood. I just had to do a little, ok a lot, of trimming on the bracket, and add a support that goes to the head stud. I also even cut it to fit around the valve cover if you wanted to remove the valve cover without taking the power steering off, although it's definitely not fun with the Behlen unit in the way above it. (Gotta think of the next guy). I also had to trim the little nub off the water neck for belt clearance, so while I was there, I replaced both gaskets and the small bottom hose on the water neck and thermostat housing. I would have liked the pressure hose I had made to look a little neater, but the parts store forgot to turn the fittings 90? from each other as I requested, oh well. I think it turned out ok for a couple hours figuring, trimming,welding, and painting. I'd try it out, but the tractor started just long enough for me to forget that I left the gas off, suck the reservoir dry in the power steering pump, and run out of gas when I was refilling the reservoir. It was at this time that the bending drive on the starter decided that it wouldn't kick in at all. It had been occasionally acting up, but now it needs fixed for good. A low budget idea anyway if you have a 300,350,400 or 450 with a bad priority valve.

Ross
a164771.jpg

a164772.jpg

a164773.jpg

a164774.jpg

a164775.jpg

a164776.jpg

a164777.jpg

a164778.jpg

Dad put a real early Char-Lynn power steering kit on his '51 M. Was sometime in the mid-late 1950's, '57 or '58. The pump mounts up in that Exact same location, belt drives the PS pump and alternator just like yours does. He put P/S on the '54 SM-TA he bought in 1960 and the pump mounted off the governor cover by then. I've seen those brackets bend and all kinds of ugly ways to reinforce them. The '51 M was full time loader tractor unless it was wearing the 2M-E mounted picker.

Enjoy your working P/S now. The factory Berlin P/S on our 450 worked good even with the IH #461 cultivator on the tractor as long as you were moving. Didn't have to be fast, just creeping was enough.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back