Farmall 560D oil pressure

dsp

Hi,

I recently picked up another issue with the old girl. When you first start the tractor it runs a good 10 seconds or so showing no oil pressure, seems strange because it never used to do that. At first I thought the old gauge might be sticky but I'm pretty sure that's not the problem. When the tractor is warmed up and working the gauge registers oil pressure changes quickly when you change the rpm. Also, when you shut the tractor off it smoothly drops to zero without sticking. I pulled the oil pan off and it was kinda sludgey in the bottom but the pickup screen was clean and from what I could see the oil passages looked clean. I cleaned everything out, replaced the oil and filter. I figured I'd see what replacing a few quarts with Marvel did so I ran it for a bit like that then flushed it and replaced the oil and filter. No change at all. If you loosen the fittings on the oil line running to the gauge while it's running oil is pumps out and the gauge immediately registers the change so I'm pretty darn sure it's not the culprit. If you guys have any ideas please let me hear em'. The engine sounds great while running and I have too much to do with the tractor to tear it apart right now. Not to mention I have no money either since it is all going into the new shop currently being put up.

I connected a test gauge with roughly an 8 foot hose to the oil port and it took about 13 seconds to start registering any pressure. Once it did it quickly went up to 48 at idle. Once the tractor was fully warmed up the tractor does 35-36 at hot idle and 45-46 when you run the rpm up. When I shut the tractor off it drops to 10lbs within a few seconds and then takes longer to fully drain as the pressure drops reading completely zero in about 10-12 seconds. Rusty factory gauge shows the same thing. If you restart it within a couple minutes of shutting it off, it will immediately register pressure as soon as it starts. Does this sound normal to you guys?

(quoted from post at 11:38:20 06/13/21). . . If you loosen the fittings on the oil line running to the gauge while it's running . . .
You could try loosening the line to the gauge while it is not running and see how quickly it starts to leak. See with a cold engine if it starts to leak quicker than the oil gauge has been showing pressure or if is shows the same lag as the gauge.

It's normal for oil pressure to show up after a cold start because that large oil filter can takes awhile to re-fill. My 560 sometimes took 30-45 seconds for the gauge to
show the 45 PSI engine had. I put a smaller spin on filter to help with the no oil pressure lag time as I have a turbo on it, the smaller filter fills quicker for faster
pressure gauge reading.

I have about the same result on my 6900 hour engine . I use good quality oil , in crankcase , dont go over 1/3 throttle till it has good oil pressure ,

As I said before , u see how small that steel line is. U will never get the
gauge to register the minute u start the tractor. Every 282 with that line
does the same thing. Been watching those gauges for over fifty years.
And yes they are slow.

Try bleeding the line to the gauge. air or gasses in the line must compress to register, a filled line to a gauge is way
faster. Jim

My 560D does the same thing at startup, I was concerned and posted here but got same response, takes oil filter a while to fill, apparently normal. As long as it gets good oil pressure later don't worry about it

Thanks for the replies gentlemen, seems this is pretty normal and it builds fine oil pressure once it starts to read. The delay was the same when I had my test gauge attached with a larger diameter hose. She sounds beautiful while running, pressure doesn't drop much even when warm at operating rpm so I guess back to work the old girl goes.

Put a tee in at the block and see if if shows pressure sooner or not. I doubt it will and just because your gauge is not showing pressure does not mean the engine has no oil pressure yet. It has to build up to the gauge which is last to fill. My semi takes a few seconds to show oil pressure on it and has since it was new 20 years ago. Yes it has a wet line to the dash gauge on it.

As I said before , u see how small that steel line is. U will never get the
gauge to register the minute u start the tractor. Every 282 with that line
does the same thing. Been watching those gauges for over fifty years.
And yes they are slow.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back