Farmall 706 tires

kub6040

I have 16.9X34 rear tires and would like to have more ground clearance would 18.4x38 tires be to big for a hay tractor.

No.They be fine. I have 18.4x38 on two of my 'haying' tractors(1256;1456). 16.9x38 on my 706.But you probably wont gain enough extra clearance to warrant the money spent.

I bought a new Hydro 70 years ago,with 15.5 x 38 tires,it wouldn't pull a 4 row corn planter where we cultivated 4-5 hours earlier, it would get stuck, ish, so i traded almost a new set of 15.5 for a used set of 18.4x38.it was a good trade for me,another thing it helped was, it raised the drawbar, then i could plant corn!

Well since you have 34 inch centers then your sorta Stuck with out spending more on tires then the tractor is worth . SOOOOOoooooo stepping up to and 18.4x34 will gain you ground heigth under the belly , Now IF your check book is bottomless then by all means go with a 20.4.34 as they are as tall as a 18.4 x38 but wider . To do this ya need a 18 inch rim , for a 18.4 x34 ya need a 16 inch rim . I run and 18.4 x34 on my 806 . and ran the 18.4x34's on the many 706's i have had over the years.

i have had both on 2 706 over the years, the one i have now is 38s and like it much better for hay. if you want to switch start watching part auctions might take a year but can find stuff with out to much problem.

You will need to find a set of step up lugs to put in place of the ones you use on your 34's now. That is what they did when I wanted the 38's on my 806 when I made the deal on it back when. They just got a set of those step lugs. they will fill the difference and work fine. I plowed with mine with no issues. Still in use today. Yes the taller tires would help with hay. Hard call since you have the tires and rims versus finding some 20.8-34's. Look around at some of the bigger tractor tire shops like Miller tire in Wauseon OH or the junkyards like Worthington for them.

Step lugs, step rims, or 38" hubs. Assuming you already have rims for the 18.4x38 tires.

The hubs will be the easiest and least expensive to source because there is a glut of them at the salvage yards. I don't think anyone makes step lugs anymore so you'd have to find them on a salvage tractor, BUT IMHO the step lugs make the tractor look like it has those steel wheels the Mennonites run on their tractors.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back