Farmall cub distributor cap does not fit.

Poonie

Before anyone mentions it, yes I aligned the notch.

I removed the distributor on a 52 Cub I just bought, to check the points because it's not getting spark. I set the point gap, cleaned the points, then tried to get the cap back on. I spent the better part of two hours trying to figure out why the cap and the points cover just won't sit flush. I scraped the edge of the distributor with a small screw driver on an attempt to possibly remove some crud etc. I even sanded the lip of the dizzy cap with a tiny file, to no avail. This cap will not sit flush to the distributor body no matter what I tried. There's about a 32nds gap all the way around. I got the clips to snap on but I don't think this is going to work as the rotor probably won't be close enough to the inside prongs to jump a spark. I guess my only recourse is to buy another distributor cap assembly and hope it fits.

Before anyone mentions it, yes I aligned the notch.

I removed the distributor on a 52 Cub I just bought, to check the points because it's not getting spark. I set the point gap, cleaned the points, then tried to get the cap back on. I spent the better part of two hours trying to figure out why the cap and the points cover just won't sit flush. I scraped the edge of the distributor with a small screw driver on an attempt to possibly remove some crud etc. I even sanded the lip of the dizzy cap with a tiny file, to no avail. This cap will not sit flush to the distributor body no matter what I tried. There's about a 32nds gap all the way around. I got the clips to snap on but I don't think this is going to work as the rotor probably won't be close enough to the inside prongs to jump a spark. I guess my only recourse is to buy another distributor cap assembly and hope it fits.
Is it possibly actually an IH mag? There's 2 IH mags and an IH distributor all of which take slightly different caps.

And then there's the possibility of an aftermarket distributor.

Go a photo?

Is it possibly actually an IH mag? There's 2 IH mags and an IH distributor all of which take slightly different caps.

And then there's the possibility of an aftermarket distributor.

Go a photo?
All I know is, it's a horizontal mag/distributor, same as on my 53. It looks original. I took the cap off the 53 and it fits the 52. They both look identical. I'm still not getting spark. I ordered a new set of points and condenser, and I've installed a new switch that I had lying around. If it's not points then I guess a coil is next.

All I know is, it's a horizontal mag/distributor, same as on my 53. It looks original. I took the cap off the 53 and it fits the 52. They both look identical. I'm still not getting spark. I ordered a new set of points and condenser, and I've installed a new switch that I had lying around. If it's not points then I guess a coil is next.
One easy not tools need test for good points is take a wire and hook it to the ignition side of the battery then touch the ignition side of the coil off and on a couple times. Points closed you should see a small spark points open no spark. If no spark either way the points need to be cleaned or replaced. I'd NEVER replace the condenser since now days you have a 50/50 chance you get a bad new condenser

I had this same problem once. It turned out that I just didn’t have the rotor pressed down the shaft far enough. Take the rotor off, then put the cap back on without the rotor in there. If the cap seats all the way down without the rotor in there then the issue is the rotor seating depth. Make sure you have the rotor aligned on the shaft correctly and press it all the way down.
Good luck

Last edited:
You took the cap off your other cub and it fits? Well....there ya go, something is off with one cap .....got hot , deformed??

The rotor was on far enough. I tried putting the cap on without the rotor and still wouldn't fit properly. I switched out the plastic gasket it had with the cork on the older one and the cap still didn't fit. I'm thinking as was mentioned the cap might be warped.

One question, what is the "ignition side" of the battery? The positive side? I'd like to try to see if the points are working.

If the cap from the 53 fits you might have to try the rotor from the 53 as well. Might be a difference in the height of the contacts on the rotor.

Get a measuring scale and start doing some math. Make sure the contacts of the rotor align with the contacts of the cap.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back